Forums Latest Members

Speedmasters still for EVA’s….Fact or Fiction?

1. TLIGuy Mar 29, 2017

The flaps on the reverse side of the glove covers a strap the tightens the glove around the hand below the fingers and between the thumb and pointer finger. It's there so the strap does not snag things getting close to the hand while working. A similar flap is seen on the Apollo gloves as well. The ESA astronauts typically use the US made suit replacing the shoulder patch with their nations flag. So this would be the same US suit without a sewn in watch as it's used today confirmed by Wiseman. There have been a few EVA's conducted by ESA astronauts in the Russian suits, but why I don't know.

Foo2rama likes this.
  2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 30, 2017

@KstateSkier
    Great photo, wearing the Speedmaster, with the chrono running, next to the pressure gauge makes sense

@Foo2rama
    The right hand glove was supposed to get the sewn-in timepiece

@alohatime
    Since 1997... Gone are the days writing to NASA and getting free packages of photos :(
    NASA is currently on Flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasa2explore/

KstateSkier and Foo2rama like this.
  3. alohatime Mar 30, 2017

kkt and KstateSkier like this.
  4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 2, 2017

eugeneandresson likes this.
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 2, 2017

6. TLIGuy Jun 2, 2017

I always love when one of my old threads gets bumped to the top but are there Shuttle or ISS EVA photos in the Apollo archive images that would give me the answer to my initial question about the use of the Speedmaster now during EVA's?

These two threads may have been more appropriate to share the archive images again...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/apollo-missions-magazines-photo-archives.30833/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/nasa-released-all-apollo-mission-photographs.30164/

7. TLIGuy Jun 2, 2017

Since the thread has come alive I did find this bit of information last week.

NASA Regulations for Merchandising Requests
    • Many NASA images (moving and still) in the public domain can be used for merchandising purposes. However, there are rules regarding the appearance of astronauts' or NASA employees' faces or names on commercial products. Astronauts or employees who are currently employed by NASA cannot have their faces or names displayed on any commercial products, advertisements or commercial product packaging. Astronauts and NASA employees who are retired from the agency can grant permission for the use of their faces or names, but that permission may be subject to a fee. For deceased astronauts or employees, their families must grant permission for use of their photos or names.
    • There are many images (moving and still) in the public domain of unrecognizable astronauts in space suits. However, in some instances, the astronaut's name may be legible in the photo. In such a case, we would have to determine if use of it for commercial purposes might infringe on a right of privacy. Permission from the astronaut could, therefore, be necessary.

8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 2, 2017

Just for a bit of drift and to get some balance, here is an article about the Soviet space watches. I can't vouch for its accuracy, but imagine if Strela had the smarts of Omega's marketing people :rolleyes:

http://www.netgrafik.ch/russian_space_watches.htm

Waltesefalcon, SpeedyPhill and TLIGuy like this.
  9. TLIGuy Jun 2, 2017

That Cosmonavigator looks like it weighs a ton. I guess that's okay in a zero-g environment.

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  10. kkt Jun 2, 2017

It still has mass and momentum and would require the same amount of effort to move the wrist it's attached to as it does on earth...

TLIGuy likes this.
  11. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jun 2, 2017

Is this information out in the open? I just wonder if it would impact the popularity of the Speedmaster, if it is known that NASA does not use them for EVA anymore.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 2, 2017

There is no question that almost everyone wears them externally on take offs and landings outside the spacesuit.

TLIGuy likes this.
  13. TLIGuy Jun 2, 2017

Indeed. The mechanical Speedmaster is still getting plenty of use during Russian EVA's and by all astronauts and cosmonauts during accent and landing.

14. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 7, 2017

[​IMG]
    This 1978 Soyuz 27 training photo of cosmonaut Vladimir Dzhanibekov showed him wearing a “ 125 years Omega Speedmaster ” reference ST 378.0801, made in 1973. No idea if this first chronometer-certified wrist chrono was flown... anyone ?
    Dzhanibekov certainly wore a Speedmaster 145.022 on Soyuz 39 to Salyut 6 in March 1981, the “Intercosmos” mission with Mongolia (cosmonaut Jüg Gürragchaa).

Jones in LA likes this.
  15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 7, 2017

With hundreds of good NASA photos showing speedies in action, it remains a clumsy move by the PR department :whipped:

16. TLIGuy Aug 25, 2017

This is the best cosmonaut wrist shot I've ever seen taken on the most recent ISS EVA 43 on August 17, 2017. I think this is how it might have gone down:)

Roscosmos Flight Control - We just received a call form Omega and they would like to know if you could take a picture of your watch on the next revolution for an ad? We've checked the bank and the deposit has just posted.

EVA 43/1 Cosmonaut - Da!!

4488984386.jpg
    CREDIT - Roscosmos 17 August, 2017

garryap17, OWa, adi4 and 14 others like this.
  17. TLIGuy Aug 25, 2017

After a bit more research here is a nice second image of the watch. Both pictures are of cosmonaut Sergey Ryazansky taken by cosmonaut Fyodor Yurchikhin.

2699089951.jpg
    CREDIT - Roscosmos 17 August, 2017

garryap17, CTS-V and TJH like this.
  18. mikesspeedy Aug 25, 2017

However it gets there its nice to see.

TLIGuy likes this.
  19. mikesspeedy Aug 25, 2017

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 26, 2017

X33 is vacuum and temp rated I thought. My money is NASA will stick with Omega. The bigger question is what is the back up in mars? Do you have a Martian day or earth day or both? Again modded x33 or similar is perfect.

Although the argument for pure mechanical is still strong.

CTS-V and TLIGuy like this.