Forums Latest Members
  1. Texasjohn Mar 28, 2020

A word of warning about the Kevlar straps, the moving keeper came completely off. Very delicate pieces in my experience

image.jpg
    frazierspa and MTROIS like this.
  2. 10mmauto Mar 28, 2020

I also like to let it go the four days and wear it with the digital display off....

3. MTROIS Mar 28, 2020

4. MTROIS Mar 28, 2020

Good to know.
    If I recall properly, the very first factory version that Omega offered on the Gen 1 also had an inherent weakness: it would get harder over time leading to fractures of the bracelet…

5. bama2141 Mar 28, 2020

rfortson and MTROIS like this.
  6. Raymondo5508 Mar 28, 2020

I also have another one that I had serviced by Omega and retain the titanium band on the watch for when I want a different alternative to the Omega Kevlar strap.
    20170922_091945.jpg

Mr Gadget likes this.
  7. JohnnyRocket May 31, 2020

Hey there. I originally started out with the Skywalker. I love the fit and feel of the
    Titanium. Very light when you compare it to a regular speedy.
    I originally wasn’t enamoured by the Gen 1&2 at first. But...as fate would have it
    I acquired an absolutely beautiful Gen 1. Perfect condition. Well It is a little jewel.
    Love the bezel, and the Red arrow second hand drew me right in. I was a bit
    Apprehensive of the older crown. It and the pushers had issues. But so far so good. That Led to my Gen 2. Not as flash as the Gen 1, but Better crown and other refined touches. Great Watch. I wear both the 2& Skywalker a lot.
    Though the Titanium on the 3 seems softer and scratches easier than the 2.
    The slightly bigger 3 isn’t noticeable in wearability. The 2 seems much brighter
    In the backlight feature. Both read well butI think the 2 is slightly better.
    Either way they are both great pieces.
    I wore my Gen 2 in homage to the Space X Dragon Crew launch all weekend.
    It is awesome to see your watch ride into Orbit.

If You really want a different kind of horse...check out the Z33. Very cool...
    Lots of features that are great to play with. I love mine, but regret not wearing
    It enough. Very well built.

Raymondo5508 and duc like this.
  8. tikkathree Jun 1, 2020

My Mk1 lives on a cheap and very cheerful grey webbing 5 ring nato and, yes, the alarm really is set for 0330! 20200601_064631.jpg

9. hmss007 Jun 1, 2020

Like a lot of you, I've recently become interested in the X-33 Gen 1/2. I had sort of dismissed it in the past but over the past few months, it's piqued my interest - I guess all the Space X talk hasn't hurt. I am now on the hunt for an X-33 Gen 2 (I think I like the crown and the pip a bit more than the Gen 1). I've already reached out to my local Boutique to find out what straps are available for it once I eventually find one.

I also like the titanium bezel, which reminds me a bit of my Explorer II and makes it look at bit more of a tool watch.

10. orlis Jun 1, 2020

Same here, I always thought it doesn’t make sense to add one until last week: 12620E05-F669-45B3-9F36-58EC59CED7BF.jpeg

frazierspa, rfortson, Ian_km and 3 others like this.
  11. dkr Jun 1, 2020

Wore mine the last week in solidarity with Bob and Doug...

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200530192402341_COVER.jpg

frazierspa, rfortson, duc and 3 others like this.
  12. bama2141 Jun 1, 2020

Congrats to SpaceX (and another marketing opportunity for Omega)

211674D9-A5D8-49C9-ADAA-70038EFCAE35.jpeg

frazierspa and duc like this.
  13. Bugbait Jun 2, 2020

My Gen 2 was my first Omega, purchased to celebrate my 30th. Picked it up in an Omega boutique in Switzerland as well. It wasn't well loved or popular back then, often considered an overpriced Quartz on forums. Good thing I've always purchased what I liked, not cared about resale value and simply enjoyed my watches.

It was my daily wearer for 8 years before I switched to a slightly dressier De Ville mechanical. In those 8 years it travelled with me to many countries and took its share of beatings. It's been swimming with me many times so don't believe all the prattle about it barely being splash proof. I even put deep gouges in the bracelet after owning it for 6 weeks at a belated birthday bash where I got very drunk and fell into a stone curb in central London somewhere. Good thing a full service back then only cost £150 and included refurbishing the bracelet!

At the last full service several years ago I even had it upgraded to the latest 1666C movement with thermo-compensation. The accuracy has slipped a bit to maybe +15-20 SPY (seconds per year) but it's on it's 3rd battery now. When it first came back from service, for that battery it was <8 SPY. The rate of gain is very constant so I'm sure if I had it serviced it could be tuned back.

I don't intend to ever sell it and would be glad to hand it down to one of my sons if they ever show a keen interest in watches. If you can find a good example of a Gen 1 or 2 then it's definitely worth adding to a collection.

frazierspa, hmss007, bama2141 and 2 others like this.
  14. Tobimat2000 Jun 2, 2020

Very nice story and encouraging as well. I followed your advice unintentionally by purchasing a 2001 Gen 1 fullset last Friday for a imo decent price of under 2k €. Although the Ref coming with the carbon strap the set is inkluding the bracelet, which alone ist quite worth a Sinn watch if bought from an AD.

Bugbait likes this.
  15. Ian_km Jun 2, 2020

I'd been looking for one for a while, so when one cropped up 3 weeks ago, I pounced, full set and great condition. I usually prefer straps, but enjoying the titanium bracelet at the moment, may try to source a kevlar strap in the future. X-33.jpeg

16. Bugbait Jun 2, 2020

That's a great example you picked up. Wear it with joy!

The Gen2 is still my go to summer watch due to the weight and bracelet comfort. Don't have to worry about sweating into leather. My current daily wearer is a Speedmaster Blue Side of the Moon in ceramic on leather. The light weight and sapphire back allows me to wear it a bit looser and still not have it move around. Part of the reason I shifted away from my De Ville Chronoscope, the bulk of the case would play around on the wrist a little if worn a bit loose.

EDIT: Something I've been meaning to do for a while is polish off the outer AR coating. I didn't baby my Gen2 as it was and still is very much a tool watch for me. So the outer AR coating has taken quite a beating and looks quite horrible from many angles. Sapphire still pristine though.

Tobimat2000 and Ian_km like this.
  17. Tobimat2000 Jun 5, 2020

IMG_1293.jpg IMG_1296 2.jpg IMG_1297 2.jpg IMG_1301.jpg After drooling about the X-33 for some time now, this thread and - to be honest - the SpaceX launch made me make up my mind finally and so this came in today:

keisuke_z, Bugbait, Barada7 and 6 others like this.
  18. speedygrail Jun 5, 2020

Nice one! What a cool watch. It's really grown on me.

Tobimat2000 likes this.
  19. rfortson Jun 5, 2020

That's a nice one! I picked one up, too, after seeing the launch scrub. Got mine on Saturday just in time for the successful launch.

I couldn't find one (for a price I liked) with box and papers, so well done to you! I got a Gen 1 and it came with everything except the box. I like it more than I thought I would, and I've been considering one for years now.

Tobimat2000 likes this.
  20. rfortson Jun 5, 2020

Yeah, and sail cloth straps look very similar for a reasonable price. I wish I could find the original double ridged kevlar strap for my Gen 1, though the titanium bracelet is very comfortable. Plus I noticed Chris Cassidy wearing his on a bracelet on the ISS, so I guess I'm okay with the bracelet. ;)

duc likes this.