Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster, what do you use the stop watch for?

1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 22, 2019

I prefer rotating 12 hour bezels personally. But even those have issues.

2. mwc5k May 23, 2019

Cooking, watering the lawn, timing baby bottle, timing commute with different routes...I use it all the time.

3. whyboddau May 23, 2019

I’ve timed my bbq to mine

4. savio.79 May 23, 2019

Cooking time for pasta (spaghetti, tagliatelle, and so on), before selling it. (I sold the Speedmaster, not my pasta)

5. JAAA May 26, 2019

Toddler nap timer aka [​IMG] post-nap mood gauge.

105012, tmilnthorp and ras47 like this.
  6. ras47 May 26, 2019

Grill timing often. I grill a lot, and I wear my Speedy a lot. Boom. I've also timed all the traffic lights in my town.

7. michael22 May 26, 2019

Time to update my previous comment: Grillmaster sounds better than Cookmaster.

ras47 likes this.
  8. cfracing May 27, 2019

But you are not using the tachymetre scale at all?

Would wearing a Seamaster only swimming or in the shower demean it? :)

michael22 likes this.
  9. Swissmister May 27, 2019

::confused2::

10. MRC May 27, 2019

I have spent 60 years at auto race tracks, watching, spannering, driving, holding out pit boards, waving flags. Also rallying: driving, navigating, marshalling, mechanicing, organising, watching. All but the first 10 years as a teen and pre-teen with no watch at all was with a chronograph on my wrist and I have never found a use for a tachy scale in any of these activities.

There is just one use I can think of for a tachy scale at a race track -- the special watches that Heuer made for the Indianapolis track where the readout was in mph for a full lap.

[​IMG]

superfly likes this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 27, 2019

Tachy scale is a bit archaic. You would never use one on a track. In rally racing esp the more common at the time road rally you could use the tachy scale at mile markers to determine average speed.

Tachy scales can also be used to determine operations per hour on production lines or in data entry. In fact stop watches with tachy scales where sold years earlier before they appeared on racing watches as foreman or manager timers.

Edited May 27, 2019
  12. cfracing May 27, 2019

Thank's for the informative reply, but I was just pulling Vercingetorix's leg by implying he was "demeaning" the Speedmaster by not utilizing every one of its features, including the tachymetre scale. I understand that it is a fairly useless feature.

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 27, 2019

You never did timed road rally with max section speeds? the Tachy scale makes alot of sense in those.

14. MRC May 27, 2019

You have never contested rallies in the Welsh lanes I take it?

The sheep are are only markers....

.... and the *^&%&$£ things don't stay where they were put.

In the USA Time-Speed-Distance rallying on the right roads you would be correct. In British road or stage rallying if you happened to be on a road with mile (or kilometer) markers it would be a neutralised section. Cannot afford to upset anyone driving innocently along with just how fast a rally car at full speed can travel [*]

[* ] I did get to drive a Ford RS200 but not at speed. It was was just to check that it was all there before it was dismantled and sent via five different shippers' crates to a nation that does not Approve of such vehicles. Owner used to drive a '60s Ford GT40 to work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: How that managed the notorious potholes of City_I_worked_in_years_ago I don't know.

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. MRC May 27, 2019

Max speeds? Kinda. OK, I've been on the organising side too. Top crews at any level can breeze any max you are legally allowed to set. So now we get into "clipped watches". May I quote from my racing diary?

26/27 May 1973 "I enjoyed it after I was sick but was very miserable until then, Ken started to believe what I was saying and our times greatly improved. Timing was hacked as usual. One selective was 38 min. We did it in 34 and were docked 7:53. ie average = 44mph."

The fastest average allowed by law then and now was 30mph.

"Selective" is a section timed to the second instead of the standard minute. And "sick" means threw up. Hopefully avoiding the inside of the car. The things you do for your sport, eh?

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. 3rdstringholder May 27, 2019

Hate to say it, but just make sure the seconds hand and registers work.

17. MRC May 27, 2019

For racing it is, but in Real Life it can save your skin. I check the accuracy of every new car and motorcycle and any rentarocket I'll be driving for more than a day.

That way if I get get pulled up I know exactly how much trouble I'm in.

One instance: at 02:30 nice policeman sayeth "We don't know how fast you were going when we first saw you but would you breath into this please."

I knew exactly how fast I'd been going when I first saw them and was completely happy to breath into the bag. But not to admit anything about speed, which I had reduced to something a faint touch naughty but not really worth the paperwork when they caught up. Funny thing was I had just been to a presentation to the local Lotus Seven & Caterham Club by a police seargent with a film showing how to escape from police persuit.

You want to know?

Be more ready to die than they are. A lot more. More driving skill helps, but if you've ever sat with a police Class One (UK) in a hurry.....

18. trarmstrong May 28, 2019

I use mine at work quite a bit. The reasons why, I cannot speak of.

19. Flintlock May 29, 2019

Watches were often used for timing race horses in a morning work. Unless you are the official clocker a dedicated stopwatch is inconvenient to carry. For that purpose a breakdown of less than a second is desired. Did your colt work three in thirty-four or was it 34 4/5? My cheap Timex can do that and keep going after the minute dial lap is completed. A Citizen I own goes to an hour and resets, ugh. The Citizen hour scale is too crowded to read so Omega 30 min scale is superior.
    Which Speedmasters can time down to fifths of a second. The new ones seem to be only full seconds.

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 29, 2019

861’s time to a 5th. 321 time to a 4th.

Flintlock likes this.