Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster remains airtight when the crown is pulled out?

1. kaplan Feb 3, 2023

@Archer you really inspired me, going to attempt a crown restoration soon, I've measured the tube 2mm and the crowns inner section 3.2mm - and the crowns tube is 1.4mm

There are 3.2 / 1.8 / 0.7 o-rings marketed as crown o-rings, I guess these will work - I've checked some individual o-rings at 0.8 / 1 OD's, yet couldn't get better than this crown o-ring

Here's a photo if anyone is curious, there are sellers who sell individual packs direct from manufacturers, but really hard to find a good size going small:

Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 15.50.31.png

Edit: It seems there is 3.4 / 1.8 / 0.8 too, cheaply available

Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 15.53.57.png

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 3, 2023

If you want case back sized O-rings, the world is your oyster - there are so many sizes and cross sections available, you can fine just about any size you want. Fractions of a mm different OD's are easy, so you need 36.2 mm instead of 36? Not really a problem, there are lots of options and you can almost always find what you need.

For these very small O-rings, it's quite different. Every material supplier sells an assortment or two of these, but they all have the same O-rings in them, so the options are exponentially more limited on these smaller crown and pusher sized O-rings.

If you are fixing your own watch, and want to take a chance on using something "close" that's great. When you are servicing someone else's watch, and provide a warranty, things get a little more tricky.

manwith2hats, SC1 and kaplan like this.
  3. M'Bob Feb 3, 2023

Be careful…

SC1 likes this.
  4. perlunk Mar 6, 2023

I was able to get the gasket out mechanically from a "Narrow Flat Feet" Speedmaster crown. I was able to take some measurements from the old gasket. In case that you're interested:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/rem...r-narrow-flat-feet-crown.156769/#post-2142528