Forums Latest Members

Need advice: accidentally pulled out the crown and stem on my watch

1. E-diddy May 25, 2015

Hi Experts!
    I was setting the time on my Heuer and accidentally pulled out the crown + stem. The stem seems undamaged -- I re-inserted it and am able to wind the watch, just can't set the time anymore. Question: what level of difficulty is it for a watchmaker to "lock in" this piece? I am going to take it to my guy and am hoping he can do it on the spot. My understanding is that this should be straight forward. Just want to make sure I know what to ask him and do not overpay for the service. Any advice would be appreciated.

Orvis_front.JPG Orvis_back.JPG

lwong likes this.
  2. redpcar May 25, 2015

First things first. Give us a better pic of this beauty.
    Easy fix......probably. I have an Autavia that does this from time to time. Pull the stem extra careful now. I'm surprised that you can wind the watch. Usually, the stem comes out in the "set" position. You have put the stem all the way back in? Has it latched? Have you tried pulling it out to set the time? Try rotating the stem first then pull.
    The lever could be broken or worn. Case back on these can be a pain to remove. Don't take it to a jewelry guy. Make sure it is a watchmaker.

3. E-diddy May 25, 2015

Hahaha, ok.

I don't think I have put the stem all the way back in -- I see a little extra daylight in between the crown and case (i tried to show in the pictures). I tried gently pulling it out and setting the time and it came out again -- it didn't lock to the "set" position. I've heard the case can be a pain to remove so I'm going to talk with my watch guy to make sure he's comfy with the situation before driving over to his shop. In the meantime, i'll be sad I can't wear her :(

4. lwong May 26, 2015

Happened on my speedy, did some reading and it could be just a loose securing screw. I'll get mine serviced soon, hopefully it's just that.

Gosh that's a lovely solunagraph. There was a heads up on CT recently about one of these being sold, i dropped queuecumber an email but it was already gone. Found another from a dealer but it was too rich for my blood. Both were Orvis models rather than Heuer. What does one of these run right now, you think?

5. j.allen May 26, 2015

I like the strap with that rough texture! I don't know this movement, but this is usually an easy fix and it's quite possible that the watchmaker can do it by removing only the back. If the dial has to come off it becomes a bit more complicated, but still relatively easy. In the mean time, considering there may be a loose setting screw or misaligned yoke, setting lever, spring, etc., I don't think you should wind it or set it until it is sorted properly.

6. E-diddy May 27, 2015

Update: watchmaker said the set level is damaged and needs to be replaced. The screw wasn't loose as I was hoping. He opened the case and showed me the movement. Hopefully it's not difficult to get the part. Won't be posting any picks anytime soon. :( Super bummed I can't wear it for the next 8-12 weeks. Guess it's a good I have backups (that's how I justify my obsession).

7. lwong May 27, 2015

No justification required - you are among friends. ;)

Please post pics of the solunagraph when back! Love these, but they've all been smartly snapped up by heuer collectors in past years.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 28, 2015

This would be the setting lever. Sometimes the little post on it can get worn or damaged and cause the stem to come out too easily.

Cheers, Al

9. E-diddy May 28, 2015

Thanks, Al, for the clarification! I'm always learning.