Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster or Reduced? For 6” wrist

1. uberwatchn00b Jan 28, 2018

Hello,

So I am currently in the market for my first Speedmaster, and am beginning to consider a Speedmaster reduced given my 6inch wrist size and to some extent the ease of an automatic movement (although realize the downside of straying away from the classic, I just do not have any manual wound watches so do not know how to think about them). Anyways, I figured I would get folks opinions here on if the Pro fit (and any other pros / cons), especially given I have not come across a reduced at my local AD, but have tried on the Pro as per the below. As a follow up, I was also curious if folks had any insight/guidance on price range for the Reduced, as I recently saw one go for $1,300 here after sitting for quite some time, but now see other listing for 2x or more for Reduced at the same or worse conditions - unsure if there is a specific reference I should be looking for or it’s just luck of the draw.

902CBC9C-9072-4ADE-A53D-33FE25D8DDC3.jpeg
    thelinendial likes this.
  2. dan7800 Jan 28, 2018

Welcome. Search the forum, there are like 1000 threads on the pro vs reduced.

1300 sounds ok. Keep in mind the serving costs (which you should plan on) are much higher for reduced. Check out the other threads about this.

watch3s and efauser like this.
  3. 77deluxe Jan 28, 2018

+1 Pro.

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jan 28, 2018

Care to back that up with some evidence, just so you don't come across as perpetuating the internet myth.

GT_Aventus, dan7800 and Vercingetorix like this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 28, 2018

If you send either watch to Omega it will cost the same of course but the fact of the matter is that fewer independents will service a piggy back movement and those that do often charge more since it is a more involved process to service both time and chrono components. There is an element of truth in what Dan says and I think it is fair to make a prospective buyer aware of this. That said, on a wrist that size the Reduced, Date or Triple date may still be a better fit (the latter two having a one piece movement without the issue I mention for the Reduced). The service cost difference isn't massive at independents that will touch compound movements but it isn't necessarily a myth that they can be more awkward to get sorted.

Edited Jan 28, 2018
  6. dan7800 Jan 28, 2018

Yes, to be fair Omega seems to charge the same, but as many independents won't service the watch, this could be construed as a higher service cost (as one will need to go to Omega and won't have less expensive options). The point is that the OP (and anyone else) should be cognizant of this "challenge" when it comes time to service the watch.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/considering-a-speedy-reduced.21893/page-2#post-238734

7. kkt Jan 28, 2018

I think the pro is borderline too big, even though my wrist is about 7". Could you work out a way to try on a reduced?

8. fskywalker Jan 28, 2018

Go reduced, nothing wrong with them and would fit you better

9. ac106 Jan 28, 2018

Also even at the same service cost, the service price to watch value ratio is way off.

However with all these debates I don’t understand why people don’t just buy a Speedmaster Date. It’s smaller than a pro and can be easily serviced by an independent.

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 28, 2018

I agree but I did mention the Date and Triple date (Mk40) to be fair. The Reduced looks most like the Moonwatch, particularly the late sapphire crystal model so I get why people still hanker after a Reduced if they want the MW look in a smaller package but with the convenience of Auto.

dvb512 likes this.
  11. simplymod Jan 28, 2018

Keep in mind you are really comparing two totally different watches and price ranges. Strictly from a visual standpoint, for a 6" wrist the reduced (3510.50 or 3539.50) are perfect. The pro will wear too large imo. The date models do wear a little bit bigger then the reduced and def smaller then a pro, but if you want the Pro look without looking too big, go with the reduced.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 28, 2018

I like the date and racing lines as well as the triple date/mk40 as better options then the reduced.

Even if service cost is the same odds are the reduced will need a service meaning little cost savings.

13. watch3s Jan 28, 2018

I had a reduced once. I too have seen that service cost suggestion and had wondered if I should keep it since it will be an eventuality. Although it was honestly the first luxury or more expensive watch ive ever purchased, I dumped it as soon as the opportunity came up. It was part of a trade to help me get that beauty over there.

14. Jhh834 Really, I only owned it for 2 weeks! Jan 28, 2018

I don’t think the pro looks overly ridiculous on your wrist. It is definitely on the big side of options for you, but if you like it and it feels comfortable to you, then I say go for the pro.

15. aluxtrader Jan 28, 2018

Go reduced!

16. mikechi22 Jan 28, 2018

You may already be aware of this, but I was not when I first saw this post, courtesy of @simplymod. Another OF member was expressing the same dilemma as you: liking a Speedster but it seeming much too large for his wrists. I'm there too - the Speedmaster just feels like a clown watch on my skinny wrists!

So this clarification about what is or is not the "reduced" model and other options to avoid the overly complex repair issues was very informative to me.

==========================
    "One thing to keep in mind in your search is the 3510.50 (or the improved version 3539.50) are true Speedmaster Automatic "reduced" models. The 3511.50 and all the other versions with the date are not the same watch nor were technically considered "reduced" (somehow they are starting more and more to be labeled that way, but its not really correct), they were Speedmaster Date Automatics. Yes, the Speedy date models are smaller then a Speedy Pro, but even the case dimensions here are not the same as a true Speedy Automatic "reduced" model. Everything about both models is different of which often newcomers to Omega do not realize until in the hand or on the wrist. Cases are completely different, dimensions are different, weight is different, bezels different (true speedy reduced models have a flat overhang ridge bezel more like a speedy Pro and Speedmaster date models have a concave more modern profile). Then of course movements completely different.

In both Speedy Reduced and Speedy Date Autos, there were a number of dial color references, each using the same respective cases. For the reduced, there were two pandas, a reverse panda, all white, a blue dial, Schumacher racing models, AC Milan ltd edition, some two tone and try tone versions etc etc.. These were all limited or region specific when new (mostly in Japan). The Speedy date also had many ref with different dials, again, many region specific or ltd in some way. So really comes down to what look and mechanics you are going for. No wrong choices, but would try and see at least one example of a reduced and one date auto in person to get an idea of the fit and feel on the wrists. If not in person that do some careful side by side comparison research on ones you are considering to see how they look and compare. Good luck on your hunt!!"
    ===================================

I'm headed to Japan in a couple weeks and will be on the lookout for a 3539.50 or one of the 3511.50 family to just see what they're like.

See the whole conversation here:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/new-to-vintage-omega-which-one-should-i-pick.69009/#post-869211

Edited Jan 28, 2018
    Theognosis and dan7800 like this.
  17. tikkathree Jan 29, 2018

Firstly, at 6" I'm sure the Reduced will look and feel right. I wear watches at sloppy 7.5" and found that the Reduced looked good in a "vintage" kind of way and it was only when I slapped on a modern 40mm case that it appeared small.

Secondly I flipped my three Reduceds about three years ago (red and yellow Schueys and a back dial) and prices then were in the mid hundreds - not where they are now and tbh I don't understand what's happened.

18. Theognosis Jan 29, 2018

Another vote for the Reduced. The one with hesalite, of course. It's the best-looking Speedmaster. It will go up in price as smaller watches become popular. I reckon that after several decades it will become more valuable than the regular Speedy. The Daytona was the ignored in its early days but look at it right now.

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 29, 2018

I don’t think many will share this view. I certainly don’t.

Archer, ac106 and Foo2rama like this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 29, 2018

Exactly...

The Daytona got lucky. It was always an oddball in the Rolex line up as it didn’t have a Rolex movement untill very recently. If it wasn’t for the Paul Newman connection they would be valued significantly less. The Pro is a workhorse and honestly a better design which the Daytona copied.. and copied poorly from a readability standpoint. Yes the moon connection helped but let’s face it, For a single color chronograph nothing is better looking or easily read then a pro.

The Sub and Speedy Pro are design icons. The Daytona has issues.

The reduced will always be the little brother to the Pro and will not eclipse it. The Grail and maybe the MK40 might see more movement compared to same year watches but those 2 are special for other reasons.

J.RETSAM and amphib44 like this.