Forums Latest Members
  1. Ryanleung Jan 2, 2018

hi guys!! I’m new to vintage omega and I will go to Tokyo next I’m looking for a Speedmaster Reduced (3015.50 ) , Speedmaster (3511.50) and Speedmaster ( 3511.20) and they all fall into my budget range. So, I don’t know which one should I pick! I really like panda dial but in 3015.50 configuration. Any suggestions??? Many thanks!!

2. Edward53 Jan 3, 2018

What you should go for depends on your tastes, your age, your clothes, your style, your activities and basically everything else about you. Nobody here knows any of that and even if we did, people's personal taste in watches is never quite the same, so it would be irresponsible to make any suggestions here.

3. lillatroll Jan 3, 2018

Try them all and then try some others that you like the look of and once you have tried them pick the one you like the most, if you don t like any of them keep looking.

Ryanleung likes this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 3, 2018

Why the reduced model ?

Save a bit and get the Speedmaster Moon if you can, so many newer members start with the reduced but end up wanting and getting the larger Moon watch.

Having a piggyback chrono movement they can be costly to service.

PS I don't know what watches you are talking about as there is no pictures and I'm too hot and lazy to look them up. ;)

5. Ryanleung Jan 3, 2018

They all fits my image and needs. But thanks anyway :)

6. Ryanleung Jan 3, 2018

Ummm I think that Speedmaster automatic is much more practical and Japanese like smaller watches due their smaller hand so their reduced collection is much better than moon.

7. Ryanleung Jan 3, 2018

I will definitely do that!!!

8. Sashashu Jan 4, 2018

There's plenty of people getting into the reduced version because of the size too . In my case , it's impossible to consider a profesional one even though i have had consider it since i started to apreciate the speedy .

9. mikechi22 Jan 4, 2018

Hi Ryan! This a very visually-driven community, so you should always post photos of what you’re discussing. I couldn’t turn up images of the references you mentioned, so it’s difficult to know what’s on your mind if one isn’t fluent in case references.

Anyway, all that said, I totally understand your thinking on getting a Speedmaster Automatic. I have very skinny wrists too and the full-on Moon Watch is much more than I can carry off. If you do go forward with a “reduced,” I’d just be sure that it is fully serviced and ready to wear. I’ve read over and over that the mechanics here are vexatious.

The other thing about these, since I’ve became a faithful reader of this site, is that there isn’t a whole lot of love for this model in general. The collectors here really esteem the manual Speedmaster. I think I gave up on the Automatic for these two reasons. Right now, my plan is to get one of the smaller, 60th anniversary models once they get onto the second hand market. I know that isn’t very valuable advice to someone who wants to buy now, but they were big factors against.

Have you tried a Speedmaster on a leather strap? they tend to wear smaller that way...

Good luck on your decision making! Even if you get your Automatic, I predict the two of us will be looking for those 60th anniversary models in about three years!

Computer and Ryanleung like this.
  10. Ryanleung Jan 5, 2018

Thanks mike!!! Sorry for the late reply! Busy day!! I will post some pictures later!! I want to do that at first too! But I need to download the photos from the dealer website and I’m not sure is that a good idea to use someone else’s photos. So I just leave it there!!

But I will do that next time!!! I’m planning to visit Tokyo next week! And I heard that there is a lot of great second hand omega watches! Is that ture?

Speaking of Speedmaster Reduced. Since I’m a fan of panda dial. But I can’t afford the moon watch with panda dial. So... reduced is great alternative to me. I hope I can find a withe panda this time. And i also like automatic rather than moon watch. I love the combination of Speedmaster with leather band. Any good after market leader band brand you recommend?

I’m still very green in vintage omega watches I hope to learn more! I just checked out the 60th anniversary model! Look really good and classy! I hope you can get it ASAP!

11. mikechi22 Jan 5, 2018

Hi there, Ryan! I’ve only visited one of the vintage shops in Tokyo that were recommended to me: Item by Time Anagram in Shibuya. I loved it, but I don’t think they carry any Speedmasters of any sort.

The other places that a member on here suggested to me are...

Curious Curio

Jack Road

Private Eye

I thought I had web links for those, but apparently not. The guy who recommended those places had a post on here about meeting up with other members ...lots of pictures and looked like a lot of fun. Another guy posted a series about looking for “Nina Rindt in Tokyo.” That one has some good reviews of vintage Tokyo shops too. Now, both these authors are foreigners, and I gathered you are Japanese yourself...if so, you should post your own thread as it would be interesting to hear a native’s perspective on which places are good.

I say this selfishly because I’m going to Tokyo myself in early February and would love a better curated list of places to visit!

One thing I’ve gathered is that the watches there are more expensive than what you can find in the USA. You should see what the dealers on OF have to offer or can source for you. Any of them on the Watches for Sale page...Kingkrily, WatchVaultNYC, Jakubal etc. They all seem like reputable guys. I’ll be in NYC immediately prior to Tokyo and I’d be happy to courier for you, if need be.

As for straps, there’s a British guy based in Tokyo, Jones of Tokyo. His first name is Doug and you can reach him on Etsy. He has very cool straps, but I’ve not bought one from him. He’s super helpful though. I just got two from Mansarea on Etsy that I really loved. They are based in Spain.

Ryanleung likes this.
  12. strick9 Jan 5, 2018

3511.50 I love mine it's different and it's not a piggyback its 39mm and i did not want a pro

speed.jpg
    Ryanleung and mikechi22 like this.
  13. craigbythesea Jan 15, 2018

Hi @mikechi22, thank you for the post. I've read the posts you referenced and they are very good. I'm going to Tokyo at the end of Feb. It is a business trip with limited time to visit everywhere. If you are going in early Feb it'd be great to get your feedback and priority order of the shops you visit. Thanks in advance.

14. mikechi22 Jan 17, 2018

I’ll do my best, but I suspect I’ll only make it to two places. I’m hoping Ryanleung helps me narrow down which two are worth visiting! I’ll be sure to let you know before your journey though!

Edited Jan 20, 2018
  15. simplymod Jan 17, 2018

One thing to keep in mind in your search is the 3510.50 (or the improved version 3539.50) are true Speedmaster Automatic "reduced" models. The 3511.50 and all the other versions with the date are not the same watch nor were technically considered "reduced" (somehow they are starting more and more to be labeled that way, but its not really correct), they were Speedmaster Date Automatics. Yes, the Speedy date models are smaller then a Speedy Pro, but even the case dimensions here are not the same as a true Speedy Automatic "reduced" model. Everything about both models is different of which often newcomers to Omega do not realize until in the hand or on the wrist. Cases are completely different, dimensions are different, weight is different, bezels different (true speedy reduced models have a flat overhang ridge bezel more like a speedy Pro and Speedmaster date models have a concave more modern profile). Then of course movements completely different.

In both Speedy Reduced and Speedy Date Autos, there were a number of dial color references, each using the same respective cases. For the reduced, there were two pandas, a reverse panda, all white, a blue dial, Schumacher racing models, AC Milan ltd edition, some two tone and try tone versions etc etc.. These were all limited or region specific when new (mostly in Japan). The Speedy date also had many ref with different dials, again, many region specific or ltd in some way. So really comes down to what look and mechanics you are going for. No wrong choices, but would try and see at least one example of a reduced and one date auto in person to get an idea of the fit and feel on the wrists. If not in person that do some careful side by side comparison research on ones you are considering to see how they look and compare. Good luck on your hunt!!

Edited Jan 17, 2018
    mikechi22 likes this.
  16. mikechi22 Jan 17, 2018

Very informative post! Wow!

17. Jhh834 Really, I only owned it for 2 weeks! Jan 17, 2018

I used to own a 3511.50. It was a good looking watch, but it was finicky. It had to be serviced once because it stopped running (probably due to age) and about 10 months later the crown wouldn’t turn anymore. I had to send it back to omega again. They said it was within spec, but adjusted it anyway. I don’t understand how it was within spec because I could barely turn the crown. It left a sour taste in my mouth. I won’t be looking for any more Speedmaster Date watches again.

E9313924-83A2-466A-8863-FDBEA58F6AD6.jpeg
  18. sjg22 Jan 17, 2018

I would suggest spending some time going through the “WRUW Today” thread. You will quickly see which ones jump out at you!

Then, go and try and buy - always good to ask for advice from OF pre-purchase.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 18, 2018

It had one problem, and from that it's "finicky"? I admit that the response from Omega is odd, because it was most likely a seized reversing wheel, but that's an easy fix.

These watches use a version of the ETA 7750 - reliable, accurate, and anything but finicky...

Computer likes this.
  20. Jhh834 Really, I only owned it for 2 weeks! Jan 18, 2018

Perhaps finicky was the wrong word to choose. I was rather disappointed that it would have an issue so soon after service. And I was further disappointed that I was told the issue with crown was within spec.

I am thankful they still adjusted the crown so it would turn again.