Forums Latest Members
  1. trama Feb 19, 2015

I have a reduced. Never wished it was a Professional. I love automatics. Been wearing it 25 years, serviced as necessary (I beat the crap out of it as a young feller).

Pibbow likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Feb 19, 2015

Not on mine. Not even close. And I'm not the only one - even the OP says the same:

3. nxw1969 Feb 19, 2015

I got a reduced and tried to convince myself it was the way to go, sold it a week later and got a pro. I do still like the reduced, but I love my pro and there's a much greater feeling of satisfaction when I look at it.

4. shoota70 Feb 19, 2015

The Pro wears quite small - have you tried one on?

5. centennial Feb 19, 2015

For me the main draw back was that the reduced is smaller than the pro, but after owning one for a several days now, it looks good on my wrist, fits well and is super light and relatively slim. I dig the more military style numbers on the dial as well.

As for higher servicing costs, that is not true? Omega charges the same price for a full service for all chronograph movements that are considered current calibre. So servicing a Speedmaster pro with 1861 or the reduced with 3220 will cost the same whopping $1,065 (Singapore dollars). This was what I was told when I had my used reduced authenticated and pressure tested at the Omega (Swatch) service centre here.

So while purists will ask u to get a pro, my opinion is as long as you like the size and different dial design of the reduced, I can't think of any reason not to get one since they can be had for very decent prices used. Even if I sent my reduced to Omega for a full service, the cost of purchase plus servicing will still be lower than what a used Speedmaster pro in good condition costs here.

Edited Feb 19, 2015
  6. alam Feb 19, 2015

How about this one? It meets five elements of your selection criteria - plus gives you the same 1861 movement found of the Moonwatch.

Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 9.34.36 PM.png
  7. alam Feb 19, 2015

The mistake was the watch??? or the place of purchase??? :p

8. chickenman26 Feb 19, 2015

Should have bought used and sent in for service...if required. I would have saved a ton and probably enjoyed the whole experience more. The watch isn't the issue, and I love it...now. Not going into another rant here, but you can find two recent threads where I talked about it.

9. JoshDunc Feb 19, 2015

[​IMG]

I had the 3510.50 for about 18 hours. Fast forward to today and I have the Speedy Pro. I couldn't justify having the Speedmaster and it not be the Pro. Well worth the money. I bought it brand new from an AD and got the new box set.

10. base615 Feb 19, 2015

I totally disagree with this. I prefer my reduced

11. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Feb 20, 2015

Well I think the general consensus is the speedy reduced isn't the boil on the arse of mankind like previously thought. So here's the recap, some people actually like the size of the reduced better and don't give a toss it's not been into space. This thread needs to be less moonwatch biased and more on showing the different variations of the reduced model. Any pictures of the different models fellas?

Paulomega and wavey like this.
  12. splee Feb 20, 2015

I will only go for the legendary and original Moon watch. Reduced vs Pro for your referebce. [​IMG]

chows99 likes this.
  13. chickenman26 Feb 20, 2015

Coming from a Moonwatch owner, that's high praise indeed. ::facepalm2::
    ::popcorn::

14. ulackfocus Feb 20, 2015

Technically, none of the Professional models on their wrists have been to space either. Unless you stole a watch from NASA or bought one at some insane price IF one pops up, you don't REALLY have a moon- or space-watch.

Sadly, it's too late for that. The Proboys have found this place and are multiplying like rabbits! :eek:

chickenman26 likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 20, 2015

Seamaster with a 861

IMG_0632.JPG 66483-4d1b71d8ed28a7ae07924cb3328039c5.jpg

IMG_0627.JPG
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 20, 2015

Yes, if you use Omega for your servicing the price is the same. If, like most people here (at least those who mainly post in the vintage section - in the modern section it's a slightly different bunch) you use an independent watchmaker for service, then it could cost you more, if you can find someone who will service them.

For sure your options are more limited for service with the reduced, and generally that ends up costing you more. But again your point is valid - Omega will soak you equally on both the reduced and the Pro.

A 7750 variant is a better movement IMO, but if people want a reduced then get one. As long as you go in with your eyes open, then it's not an issue. However I have seen a lot of people buy these not knowing what the possible drawbacks are, and then they learn a service is almost as much as they bought the watch for second hand...

Cheers, Al

17. ketiljo Feb 20, 2015

@Archer, do you exchange the module (or the whole movement) or service it on the reduced?

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 20, 2015

As I have said many times before, Omega does not sell parts for the module in my market for some reason, and they don't sell complete modules either. I know everyone says "You just send the module back to DD for a new one" but first off DD does not deal with people on an individual basis. They are not in the business of selling one off modules to watchmakers all over the world - they sell to larger companies like Omega. If modules were as easy to get as people make out, you would see them for sale on the web sites of various material suppliers like Cousins, Otto Frei, Jules Borel....and these places do not carry them. I see questions from watchmakers on watchmaker only yahoo groups often asking where these modules can be found - these are not something you just go out and buy like is often made out by people on forums.

The only option Omega here offers is a complete exchange of the entire movement. This ends up being so much money that it makes no sense for me to even bother, because my price will be as much as Omega's for the job, and it's just not worth the hassle for what ends up being a hand and dial removal/installation for me in terms of the actual work. So when someone asks me about servicing one of these, I simply tell them to take it to Omega.

Now in different markets, the part are available to disassemble and service the modules, so this doesn't apply everywhere. I've never received a good answer as to why they don't sell these parts here, but it is what it is.

Cheers, Al

thelinendial likes this.
  19. Hijak Feb 20, 2015

I had one of these...
    4.JPG
    Ref. 3220.50 Cal. 3606 (ETA 7751) I only sold this because it was hard to read with my old eyes. If I had the blue or silver dial versions of this I'd probably still have it, as I liked it very much.
    8.JPG

20. bronxbomber252 Feb 20, 2015

I think there is an assumption that the moonwatch fans often make. They assume that anyone buying any Speedmaster is doing so because they want the moonwatch heritage and style etc... And that the buyer is using something like size, or auto, etc... As an excuse to get that heritage for less money. While this is an undoubtably true assumption for some, it is simply not the case for all. It is entirely possible that the OP really does just like the style, but wants a smaller watch. If this is the case, he will not regret a reduced.

I got similar input when I posted that i had picked out a speedmaster Co-axial racing for my wife to get me as an anniversary gift. When in reality the moonwatch is not what I was looking for. I wanted a nice watch that I could use at work (USAF) to include deployments. I had certain criteria: small and understated (compared to my Breitling Transocean Unitime), durable, accurate, auto, chrono, at least 100m water resistant. I also was interested in something kind of automotive themed watch since I am a car nut and my breitling satisfied the aviation theme. I was not specifically looking at any specific brand, but the moonwatch failed a few key criteria. I did not cross-shop with the moonwatch, but rather several Tag, breitling, tudor, and other brands. But when I found this specific model of speedy, it was near immediate that i knew it was the right one, met every criteria perfectly. I still may pick up a Moonwatch (and a Breitling 806) later on, but it would fill a different roll in my collection than my Speedy racing.

The lesson in this is as follows: if you are looking at the reduced as a way to save money on something like the moonwatch, and size is the excuse, get the moonwatch... If you genuinely are not interested in the moonwatch due to size and/or other factors. Get the reduced and wear it with pride

Paulomega likes this.