Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Moonwatch Leather Strap Question

1. leo22 Aug 19, 2019

Hey everyone,

Long lurker first time poster. I have 2 Omega and I am thinking of changing my Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional Chronograph 42mm strap from steel to black leather.

When I look at the website (mine is 311.30.42.30.01.005), I see that there is an official black leather strap 311.33.42.30.01.001.

My question is where can I buy that leather strap and how much does it usually go for? It looks like it is from from alligator so I am guessing about few hundred dollars.

My second question is, when buying a band, do I need to know the specific width and length in mm? Is there a name or model or item number for the official moon watch black leather strap? Also do I need an official strap from Omega or as long as the specs match?

My last question is, if I bought the strap online or somewhere , can I change the strap myself without voiding any warranty or something (well actually I do not know how to do it but I know someone who does watch repair)?

Thanks!

2. Prestonbarnett Aug 19, 2019

Hey man leather strap is like 250 at an omega boutique and the deployment clasp is another 200 I think. If you don’t care about the deployment clasp then you’re looking at around $250 if I remember correctly.

3. zrleopold Aug 19, 2019

The lug width (the width at the watch) is 20mm for the Speedmaster. If money is no object go for the Omega branded ones if you like, but there are many nice options for less as well!

54BBB9E6-98DE-464C-A5F8-35D1E34B5A21.jpeg
  4. queriver Aug 20, 2019

311.33.42.30.01.001 is not a code for the leather strap. It's the reference number for a Speedmaster that comes on leather strap. Just contact an OB and ask them the price for the leather strap that comes with a 311.33.42.30.01.001. It would be leather with alligator embossing, not genuine alligator.

If you don't want to pay for an OEM Omega strap, take a look at the suppliers in the below thread. You just need to look for a strap to fit a 20mm lug width. If your wrist is average size, most straps will fit. It will only be an issue if you have a very thin or thick wrist but there are manufacturers who produce long and short versions of straps, and some will make custom straps. There are plenty of options available for good quality non-OEM leather straps.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/«wa...-buy-good-quality-leather-watch-straps.82232/

5. leo22 Aug 20, 2019

Thanks for all the information! Sorry dumb question, can I opt-out of deployment clasp and just have a leather strap? What would be the advantage of having a deployment clasp?

Thanks for all the information! So if I decided to go for non-OEM, as long as it fit 20mm lug width, yes? Also changing strap myself won't void any warranty or something right?

6. gpssti4 Aug 20, 2019

Depending on your wrist size any 20mm strap should be fine. Why not pop to a local jewelers and ask them for a selection of straps. I’m sure they’d even fit one for you. You should be able to get something nice for $50 fitted. And no, it won’t affect your warranty (unless someone drops it during the strap change!)

7. queriver Aug 20, 2019

Yes 20mm lug width. Your warranty won't be voided. Search here on OF for tips on strap changing technique to avoid scratching the lugs and a good strap change tool to buy.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. PhilF Aug 20, 2019

Just got back from a very pleasant trip to my AD in Maryland, an hour each way. He got me an Omega strap in brown leather and the deployant clasp OTD for $295, it looks(& feels)wonderful. My Speedmaster was running 10 seconds a day fast, he put it on their Timegrapher & verified it, also found it was highly magnetized, probably from being near my Kindle case with a magnetic closure, demagnatising it brought it down to about +1 sec/day. He's confident that that's the cure but said to check and if it starts gaining at an unacceptable rate, they'll send it to the service center in NJ for regulation. Looked at a Reduced, very nice, but, it's really a miniature of what I have now, planning another trip to look at a Seamaster to compare blue & black bezels. Really love my Speedmaster, but thinking perhaps something a bit different.
    Can't believe how much difference the brown stitched strap makes, very formal and dressy:)

Weather you go with a black or brown leather strap, you'll find the watch "wears" very differently, personally, I think the deployant clasp is worth the investment. I had several Brietlings on their (very expensive!) padded leather straps with buckles, straps always wore & cracked at the buckle, finally bought a deployant clasp and never had to replace another strap.

Edited Aug 20, 2019
    garryap17 likes this.
  9. Lurk41 Aug 20, 2019

Deployant clasps are great, but be aware that Omega strap for deployant buckle are different than others. They are more or less the same size on each side of the strap, while the others are just deployant clasp that can be fitted on regular strap (the ones with buckle). So do not buy a regular strap to use it with an Omega deployant

But you can still fit an Omega watch with a 3rd-party strap (*) + 3rd-party deployant buckle (or an Omega regular buckle).
    (*) some people are making straps for Omega deployant buckles but it is clearly written when it is the case, like here for example

To complete a bit the answer: if you are using on of the holes near the middle of your strap, then any OEM strap not sold as "short" or "long" should do. If you are using one of the shortest hole, try to look for a short strap (regular one should do but you'll still use one of the shortest hole). On the contrary if you tend to use one of the longer hole, then try to go for a long strap. Watch straps are like belts: the right size is when you use the center hole

Most of the time, short straps are sized 105/70mm, regular are 115/75, and large should be something like 120/85mm (sorry, I wear small straps so not 100% sure about the most usual length for long straps :p)

So basically:
    - strap width: fit the watch (lug to lug width: 20mm for a Speedy Pro as written above)
    - strap length: fit your wrist

PhilF likes this.
  10. guwipa Aug 21, 2019

11. leo22 Aug 30, 2019

Just talked to my boutique and they sell the black leather strap for $360 and the deployment clasp for $250.

My question is since the deployment clasp is just a metal, I am thinking of not buying the OEM for $250. Does anyone know a good replica or good after-market deployment clasp for cheaper?

I was thinking of buying this from Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/Buckle-Strap...loyment+clasp&qid=1567190085&s=gateway&sr=8-4

which is under $25 and it's PVD black which I really like. Would that fit? Any concerns?

Edited Aug 30, 2019
  12. Donn Chambers Aug 30, 2019

I bought aftermarket clasps from different sellers claiming to be as good as Omega and none were even close — while they function like the real one, they just would not stay closed because they are made so poorly. Not really a good quality for a clasp. The real Omega clasp (which I finally purchased) is worth the price, IMO.

13. Evitzee Aug 30, 2019

If you are using a generic strap and want to get a deployant buckle I've had good luck with Hadley-Roma. They have various sizes and finishes and cost about $40. Amazon has them, also various places online incl. www.holbensfinewatchbands.com.

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. vienna Aug 31, 2019

I have a very nice black strap with white seam from BOB in germany. The have them designed to fit perfectly on Omega deployments.

Kind regards Max

15. leo22 Sep 13, 2019

I end up buying the $25 leather strap from Amazon together with a black pvd deployment clasp. Although it’s not genuine alligator and it is just alligator grain, I think it looks really good.
    Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 3.28.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 3.27.46 PM.png
    I talked to my watch guy and he also recommended Hadley Roma and they sell a genuine alligator custom made for Omega I think for like $200 or so if I remember correctly.

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 3.25.45 PM.png
    I will probably just use this leather strap for a while and then switch to that Hadley Roma leather after few years.

What do you guys think? Some say it’s hard to tell the difference between the real genuine alligator vs alligator grain especially if you are not super into watch bands

16. rob#1 Sep 13, 2019

17. Walrus Sep 13, 2019

Good I info. When I was at the AD in Boston checking things out the speedys they have on leather I tried on were beautiful. I’d like to switch my constellation and speedy to leather and was wondering what the best option would be. One thing I think of is the bracelets are a little tougher to steal off someone’s wrist. I mess around with magic and one thing we do is get people watch of as part of an act and I only do magic as a hobby. I can get a leather watch of in under a second and then ask the people where their watch is. I do it in humor but the thieves do it for profit. If I see steel I don’t bother as I can’t take time looking for the release. And I still do plan on getting leather but I do think of these things. Does that sound like I’m being paranoid

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 13, 2019

On a deployant?

19. Walrus Sep 13, 2019

No, I know magicians who can but I wouldn’t do it with a deployment unless I was 109% familiar with the release. I’m just talking standard leather band. It’s really more about distraction than the watch band itself. You need to make them look at something else for ten seconds or less and just make a brief bump. I have never been caught and I did it three times in a row to the same person in a 10 minute performance once. I’ve seen it done with deployments and steel watch bands, I wouldn’t either but professional magicians will get your wallet watch and keys. I had a pro, yes I admit I’m s geek and am in a magic group that meets monthly and he got my deployment off but he is a true pro. I wasn’t even talking to him at the time just walking around looking at some card decks.

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 14, 2019

Breaking the circle of the deployant would make removal hard.