Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster gift for my grandson

1. PRT10361 Jun 15, 2021

Hi just looking for some advice. I am seriouslythinking ofbuying a 2021 brand new Speedmaster (legendary moonwatch) for my grandson.

he is only 2months old at the moment and in my eyes itwould be for his 18th or 21st. Is this a good idea howwould the watch store over this time period?

Kim, Pazzo, Dan S and 3 others like this.
  2. marcn Enough space to say witty Jun 15, 2021

Sounds like a lovely idea. Even left unused, it would need to be serviced, or at the very least checked out by a watchmaker, before it could be put into regular use 18 or 21 years from now.

I guess I'd caution if you're setting an expensive precedent for yourself if you end up with more grandkids!

Dan S and NGO1 like this.
  3. amfalconer Jun 15, 2021

It is a nice idea, but why don't you buy yourself one, then pass it down, the grandson will probably have fonder memories of it being used and owned by his grandfather. Plus it seems a shame having it stored away for 18+ years.

Mugul, DougPhx, macrodust and 26 others like this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 15, 2021

As Marc says it will definitely need a service just before he gets it as the oils will be dry in 18 years for sure but not a huge expense and an independent can do it cheaply and easily as it definitely won’t need any parts given it’s been idle.

One alternative suggestion is to actually wear it and have plenty of photos of you wearing the watch while holding him as a baby, playing with him as a child and so on. It’ll mean a lot more to him receiving his grandfathers watch than just one that’s been in a box

Mugul, ahartfie, Kim and 16 others like this.
  5. PRT10361 Jun 15, 2021

Many thanks for the reply. I do understand it could be a costly venture but right now my Son and his wife have settled on one child. But who knows.

thanks again Peter.

6. amfalconer Jun 15, 2021

Also maybe give it a while, wait for discounts on the new piece to become more commonplace.

7. PRT10361 Jun 15, 2021

again many thanks for the advice I suppose I could wear it but I would leave it sealed for the photos and just use it very lightly. I have a new PO 43.5 my wife bought me for my 60th I only tack this off before bed.

Pazzo and noelekal like this.
  8. Hoddspur Jun 15, 2021

You might even want to consider one of the pre-owned Omega Speedmaster LE models; at least you’ll be getting him a (fairly!) unique watch as well as a nice little investment (potentially!) for when he’s older. The drawback being that the prices of many pre/owned LE models have risen sharply in recent times!

9. tooch Jun 15, 2021

There are definitely discounts available now, 15% off (and maybe slightly more if you're lucky/persistent) is not difficult at some AD's :)

10. notchrishansen Jun 15, 2021

I did the same and plan on leaving it in unworn condition for the next 20+ years. I wanted it to be a birth year watch that he can make his own wear marks with…., and lucky him as what better year than a redesigned speedy..

My AD advised to wind it up once a month to keep the oils going, but who knows if I’ll make that many trips to the bank.. I expect to shell out for a full service before I gift it.

Ps. There are discounts, just need to call around.

11. PRT10361 Jun 15, 2021

I have my eye on one at £3700.00 brand new from a UK AD so that’s a little more than 10% off list not a bad price. There may be better but to build a relationship with an AD is a good thing for the future don’t you think ?
    Many thanks for all the advice and thoughts Peter

12. amfalconer Jun 15, 2021

3700 for a new speedy? That seems a little light, you sure that's not the outgoing 1861?

13. PRT10361 Jun 15, 2021

Yes it’s the outgoing 1861. But it’s much closer to the original moon watch. It’s has a history which can be linked backwards. I might be wrong but just the simple fact the new one hacks among other things makes it more true in my eyes. This is part of the attraction from my point of view. But I may be wrong? Still a great gift though don’t you think ? Peter.

14. amfalconer Jun 15, 2021

Sorry, from your original post thought you were referring to the latest model.

Yes, still a very nice gift!

15. PRT10361 Jun 15, 2021

Thank you for your thoughts. As I have said I could be completely wrong but I see this 1861 legendary moon watch edition a great buy. The new Speedmaster is a bit of a hike in price for a watch again in my humble opinion is more of step away from the original than the 1861. Better in many ways technically but the 1861 is I think closer to the watches worn by the NASA astronauts? This could be a good thing in 18-20 yrs but it is a total guess. Peter.

Pun, MtnMarine and amfalconer like this.
  16. notchrishansen Jun 15, 2021

Ah, i also thought you were talking about the new 2021 3861.

Don’t want to make this a new vs old thread, but for me there is only one ‘moon’ lunar walked-on watch and it’s the vintage. Probably not making friends with this statement.

Anyhow, i wanted a birth year watch and a 3861 checks that and came At a perfect time. And thinking of future proofing the next 20 years, I’m guessing only one of these will be taken to Mars and beyond.

17. marcn Enough space to say witty Jun 15, 2021

You can't go wrong with either model; do what makes sense for all the variables in play, not the least of which is cost.

He's so unlikely to quibble this way or that, "Oh... wow gramps, I was actually kinda hoping for a 3861... but you know... good effort!"

I have three boys (4, 22, and 33 -- lots of root space between them!) and I failed miserably to instill in the older two so much as a milligram of interest in watches, as I must've started far too late. The 4-yo, he's already asking regularly to see "the secret watch" (his code for one in particular with a display back) and loves watching the rotor, balance, etc. Get your grandson interested in your watch(es) early and it will make the 18 or 21-yo reveal that much more incredible when it happens.

Pun, Scarecrow Boat and apsm100 like this.
  18. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 16, 2021

As a 33 year old, don’t loose hope heh. My dad had always worn quirky watches but I could never get into the hobby. I hated wearing them. I have no idea what happened or what changed but in my late 20’s I was hooked and haven’t looked back. Only wish I got into it sooner :)

Dsloan, apsm100 and marcn like this.
  19. PRT10361 Jun 16, 2021

no problem at all with your thoughts. To be honest I never thought about future missions.

20. 10mmauto Jun 16, 2021

My first grandson was born on 3/12/21. I bought this on the same day for him..... IMG_5840.JPG

Mugul and Pun like this.