Forums Latest Members
  1. Varasc Feb 23, 2014

Dear all,

I kindly ask your suggestions and experience, concerning an idea I just had. I noticed that my mother can't read her watch, a normal and daily-wearing Breil, anymore. Therefore I thought to find her a new one, since I know she would never "waste" money for herself, and above all to find a watch from her birth year - 1954.

Of course I was thinking to an Omega. Possibly a steel one, large enough. Do you have any suggestion, please?

thank you and good evening,

Marco

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 23, 2014

A nice Bumper? This one was from 1954.

[​IMG]

3. ulackfocus Feb 23, 2014

Trust me on this - get her a modern quartz watch. No muss, no fuss, and when the battery needs changing the second hand will jump 3 to 5 seconds at a time as a warning. A nice Mondaine is easy to read, light enough to be comfortable for daily wear, and comes in a variety of sizes.

The last thing you want to do is give her (or any woman) a watch that reminds her of just how old she is.

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 23, 2014

what about one of those watches that speaks the time!

5. Varasc Feb 24, 2014

Ok thank you.. I will try to find a good compromise - something from 1954 but large enough to be read.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 24, 2014

The Mondaine suggestion is my preference. Like you Mum, I prefer a large dial with contrasting hands.

Silver and gold hands do not stand out enough for an instantaineousnosus recognition of the time.

The classic Mondaine Swiss Railway design as we see it today was implemented in 1953, a close enough link to your Mum's birth year.

" In 1953, Hilfiker added a red second hand in the shape of a railway guard's signaling disc."

Along with some Eames designs, the VW Beetle and the Vincent HRD, it is one of the greatest iconic designs of the 20th century (IMO).

More info and some shots here..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_railway_clock

7. Varasc Feb 24, 2014

Thank you, JimInOz.