Speedmaster, approx. 25 years old, no serial no. Why?

I bought this watch in NYC, on 5th ave, and 42d St or thereabouts, around 25 years ago, plus or minus 2. It was nicely boxed, but no documentation of serial number. Seattle recently refurbished it at some expense, and returned looking great with a new dial. In the record of service, the place for serial number shows NA. Also, at the Michigan Ave. store, the clerk mentioned that the serial number on the case had been "polished" out. My question: was there ever a serial number on the case or the movement? During service, was the serial number illegible on the movement or was it ever there? For a time I wondered if it had been stolen, but I assume that I would not have received the leatherette box and some instructional papers at the time of purchase if stolen.

Before you get too worried, you should have the watch opened and check the movement.

OK. Thank you. Store is in Chicago's loop and requires a bit of travel. There are other Omega service centers closer, and I will ask if one will do the job?

Any watch store can open it and you can take pics of the movement if you are worried about its authenticity but if it was serviced by Omega (and not an independent) you don't have anything to worry about as if it was a fake they would have refused to service it.

It's quite possible you bought it from a sketchy grey marketer that were all over that NYC area in that time frame. Open it up and see what the SN is on the movement.

Please provide a picture of case back lug where it should be located.
Very interested to see.

We don’t know what family of Speedmaster it is either, some like the reduced don’t have a serial on the movement as it’s meant to get exchanged in service so the case is the only place there is one, and if removed by a grey market dealer it’s just gone. Still real though in those cases.

As noted the Omega store clerk said there was no serial number on the case. I checked the lugs, and, if there was anything to be seen, the case came back looking like new. Unfortunately, i was about to remove the bracelet and dropped the watch on the carpet, stopping it at once. Looks like another expensive visit to "shop." I had already begun to think that this was, indeed, a "gray market" purchase.

Thanks to those who replied, and, for the moment, the case will be considered closed 😀