Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Co Axial 9300 - No serial Number on Lug?

1. blueadi007 Nov 20, 2015

Dear Omega Forum Members,
    I am an Omega watch collector for some time now, but this is my first post on this forum.
    On my quest for nice watches last days I bought an Omega Speedmaster Co Axial 9300 (Moon) (311.30.44.51.01.002).

The serial number on the caliber: 84916035.
    This is the earliest serial on a 9300 caliber that I have seen.
    On the http://www.speedywatches.com/articles/caliber-9300-explained/, the serial of the caliber presented (9300) is: 84916267
    On the omega website the serial of the caliber (9300) presented is: 84916539

There is no serial number on any of the four lugs. On one lug there is the Omega Globe.
    It does appear that the watch was not polished and the serial was not intentionally erased.
    I do own more Omega watches, even two more Speedmasters, so I am sure the the watch is genuine.
    I bought the watch used, from a trusted seller.
    Some pictures:
    IMG_9105.JPG
    IMG_9108.JPG IMG_9124 2.JPG IMG_9125.JPG IMG_9129 2.JPG IMG_9129.JPG IMG_9132 2.JPG

Has any one of you encountered this situation?

2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Nov 20, 2015

Well some details of the trusted seller in Romania might help.
    The fact that the serial number on the movement doesn't register on the Omega database might shed some light.

3. taz101 Nov 20, 2015

If it's a fake it's a bloody good one

4. ctime3 Nov 20, 2015

Hi just a thought I am probably wrong but should the globe on the case back have a star in the middle -bottom of the omega symbol? And should it be on the barnacle instead of the lug ?

5. OmegaSean Nov 21, 2015

Did you get any warranty card or papers with it, looking on the web (google) all the watches have the number engraved on the lugs, send it back:eek:

OmegaSean

STANDY likes this.
  6. blueadi007 Nov 21, 2015

Thanks for the answers.... Not quite what I was expecting.
    This tread in a similar form is also on WUS ...

I started this topic just to share ideas why there can be an Omega case with missing serial on lug, and maybe it can be some kind of very early production model....

I know that the watch is original, so I do not need any confirmation.

In Romania the sellers are fair people. I have a long history with internet purchases, so every time when some tried to scam / deceive me, they were from US, UK or Australia... But as you can see, there still are people here with preconceived opinions...

I really like the watch. I knew before I bought it that there was no serial on the lugs. I do not want to sell it.

7. blueadi007 Nov 21, 2015

Regarding the omega logo on lugs:
    IMG_9102-2.jpg

I hope this clears it.
    The globe is as it should be, and where it should be

8. PatrickJ Nov 21, 2015

Send it to Omega for verification or go to a boutique that has an omega watchmaker or an authorised Omega service centre. It is probably genuine but don't convince yourself it is genuine if you are not sure, find out.

9. blueadi007 Nov 21, 2015

I already sent an email to omega, Will post their answer

PatrickJ likes this.
  10. Syed117 Nov 21, 2015

No one here said that Romanians are scammers. Someone simply asked for the details of the particular seller that sold you this watch. You used the term trusted seller. That has a very specific meaning on watch forums that a lot of people don't understand. I've never heard of a trusted seller from Romania.

Here's the newsflash for you. There are scammers everywhere. That includes Romania.

That being said, the watch does not look fake. Maybe the early models of this watch didn't have a serial number on the lug. However, It's a lot more likely that the serial number on the lug was removed than the watch leaving the factory without one. Of course anything is possible but the serial number is not deeply engraved on the lug. It can easily be polished off.

I don't have thus particular model but a Speedmaster 57 with a 9300 movement. The serial number starts with 867.

11. blueadi007 Nov 21, 2015

I am from Romania, and I know the person that I bought the watch from. That's why I stated that he is a trusted seller. Trusted by me.

Anyway, what is curious is that I never saw a 9300 caliber with a serial number lower than mine, so for me this would be the interesting part of the discussion.

12. alford78 Nov 21, 2015

Where did the "trusted seller" get that watch would be my first question. A trusted seller is all fine and good but we all can be scammed or deceived. The watch looks good but I'd still want to know why there isn't a serial number. Most cases I've seen that don't have serial numbers that are pre production also "usually" have another type of engraving stating that the watch isn't for sale, promo, proto, etc... And then the other option is Chinese cases which can look identical other than the correct serial numbers.

All that said I'd follow the history and see where that leads you. It's odd that the caliber serial doesn't exist in omega database which can mean a lot of things. I wouldn't like knowing omega doesn't recognize my watch.

13. alford78 Nov 21, 2015

Here's some comparison pics. Notice the omega stamp is upside down/backwards compared to on my case. I don't have a clue what that means but just pointing it out.

I don't know how the column wheel actually works but ours appear to either be in very different locations during their movements or it's an optical illusion that they appear to be different. It's like yours doesn't have as many levels of wheels with fins. I don't know just comparing what I could between my photos and yours. A watchmaker should be able to differentiate what I'm trying to say about the column wheels.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Edited Nov 21, 2015
  14. blueadi007 Nov 21, 2015

Nice pictures.
    The calibers look identical. Your has just a higher serial number ..867...

I also noticed that the position of the Omega globe is a little different. I do not know if this has any significance.

Online I found a couple of pictures and it appears that the globe has not an extremely fixed position.
    Some pictures from the net....
    SpeedyWhite86677263Back.jpg
    Omega Globe like on your case

un1_image.3711313.jpg orig2.jpg
    Omega globe like on my case...

15. alford78 Nov 21, 2015

Something else that is different is the serial numbers on the cases you just posted are read from left to right from the center of the watch where a lot of serials are read from the lug towards the center of the case.

I remember reading a thread about Chinese fakes tend to have the serial upside down/read from the center to the lug on some popular models.

All this again doesn't mean a thing just observations.

16. thatonewatchdude Nov 21, 2015

I strongly believe it is a fake, it is a good fake though. You should return it right away

17. blueadi007 Nov 21, 2015

18. OmegaSean Nov 21, 2015

Still no mention of warranty cards with serial numbers !!!

OmegaSean

19. blueadi007 Nov 21, 2015

I do not have cards with serial numbers

20. yinzerniner Nov 21, 2015

It appears to me that you received a "pre-production" model. In other words you purchased a real, working Omega 9300 Speedmaster that was used for events, showings, conferences, samples, etc but was never intended for retail sale. The movement is authentic, all the parts are authentic, but it never came with a warranty.
    So these pieces are even greyer than grey market and were probably given as gifts or purchased from Omega at a vastly discounted price to account for their heritage, and they oftentimes have details that are different than retail production models. So a slight misalignment of the Omega globe, or a missing serial number etching on the case is par for the course.
    As for Omega officially verifying authenticity, or allowing it to be serviced I've not a clue. Hope for the best.
    See here (https://omegaforums.net/threads/selling-a-number-0000-limited-edition-speedy.26208/) for an earlier post on a very trusted seller selling a 0000 serial number piece that was definitely an authentic Omega, but did not come with cards, manuals, etc.