Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Ann. Steel or Gold? Experiences and opinions, please!

1. Alex87 Jan 28, 2020

Congrats. It's a fantastic piece.

vintage83 and FinWatch like this.
  2. Dr.K Jan 30, 2020

Love the pic. Somewhat reminds me of the black/gold sub

Alex87 likes this.
  3. Newatch321 Feb 2, 2020

No picture will ever make justice for the stainless steel version. Simply incredible.

4. Boony Feb 2, 2020

You can get one on Chrono24.

FinWatch likes this.
  5. Alex87 Feb 3, 2020

At least 10% mark up though...

FinWatch likes this.
  6. Boony Feb 3, 2020

Yeah you can probs get that one for £29k which is only £2.5K more. But for sure, the AD's are done. Beats 100% mark up on PP and similar on AP/ Rolex...

FinWatch likes this.
  7. MTROIS Feb 3, 2020

Can’t go wrong with either… :D
    5423DDC2-650D-4979-AE1E-B84864014F64.jpeg 282BCC4D-E714-4F19-9001-B63772D7CA38.jpeg
    Congratulations @FinWatch for getting the SS!!

8. Alex87 Feb 3, 2020

FinWatch likes this.
  9. Omega-Q Feb 3, 2020

I haven't had any fear of failure of the velcro. You really must try and rip it off in order for it to come apart. Additionally, the cork strap takes a bit (not a lot), but enough effort to pull out of the metal hoop.

Bottom line for me, it is comfy, and it was in the box. I am using it and totally enjoy the look! Most differ from my assessment, but hey, that's the beauty of watches. Wear it how you see fit--and wear it in good health! :)

10. FinWatch Feb 3, 2020

MTROIS likes this.
  11. EricCsN Feb 4, 2020

Full of regrets that I didn't get the gold when offered to me at OB, now only from grey, kicking myself.

12. FinWatch Feb 4, 2020

i feel you....

13. csf Feb 13, 2020

UPDATE:

I have had my stainless steel 50th anniversary about two weeks now. As I posted previously, I have never owned an Omega (or any other premium watch), and never owned a manual winding watch. I bought this watch only because I just liked the way it honors NASA and Apollo 11. All the accents some here found "over the top" on this watch are exactly what I love about it. I am also now becoming an Omega fan as I read and learn about their history here. So here are just a couple of notes about my new watch. ( I assume each watch will be a little different.)

1) Power reserve is about 2 1/2 days, so around 60 hours. Pretty good !

2) Winding . . . a bit of a learning curve. When the watch is totally unwound, twisitng the crown is initially pretty easy and I can hear little clicks as I twist it. As the winding continues, the tension increases slowly and the clicks become quieter. When the watch is fully wound, its very easy to feel the crown stop . . . so I have no worries about overwinding it.

I have large fingers, but it takes about 60-70 "twists" to fully wind it from a totally stopped position . . . . I can't really see it but I think each twist of mine is probably about a half a revolution of the crown..

If I fully wind it, and then try to wind it again after only 24 hours, the crown is still pretty tight and there is not that much twisting available yet . . . so I am winding it every other morning. Hopefully this is not a problem.

3) I am storing the watch at night with the dial flat and up toward ceiling, and the watch has not really lost or gained any major time . . . I have not checked actual seconds yet, but only the minutes, which are still spot on..

4) The top pusher of the chronograph is a little bit looser than than the bottom one which resets the hands. But pulling the crown out to set the time is very smooth and easy.

5) The hands and markers do not stay illuminated very long once the room is dark, fading quickly.

6) The bracelet is very comfortable and lightweight but the clasp seems pretty flimsy . . . I know its fine but it feels weak. I believe a NATO band or leather band is in my future.

7) I love the look of the watch and all the special accents, but in certain light it can actually be hard to read. But I still love it.

8) Finally, the lunar landing packaging is certainly special and fun . . . . but the thick red owners manual I received lists directions for many many Omega calibre movements, including the 1861, but I cannot find the number 3861 listed anywhere in that document. I am confident my watch was given to me exactly as received from Omega, with the actual factory packed owners manual. But, I am sure I am operating the watch correctly, so no big deal.

That's a summary of life with my new Apollo 11 50th Anniversary stainless steel Speedmaster after 2 weeks. Hopefully this all sounds normal. Absolutely no regrets. In fact, there is something sort of satisfying about winding the watch.

Craig

Craig

Fred91, FinWatch, Hduck and 1 other person like this.
  14. Evitzee Feb 13, 2020

The OB manually wrote in my manual, 'use instructions for Cal. 1861', so I don't think a new manual with the 3861 caliber was available when the watches hit the market. No big deal, it operates the same.

FinWatch and csf like this.
  15. EricCsN Feb 13, 2020

great feedback. And yes, the manual which came with the watch doesn't have the 3861 movement listed (as some of us who have secured ours from the Omega Boutiques and noticed it have previously reported).

csf and FinWatch like this.
  16. RazorFrazer Feb 13, 2020

The gold is my dream watch. I want to cash in my 401k to buy it thats how bad my watch fever is.
    The steel is really growing on me though.

FinWatch likes this.
  17. Hduck Feb 13, 2020

Congrats! Good for you! You won’t regret it as mechanical watches each have a personality. When you get around to watching the seconds accuracy each day you will find different positions produce different results overnight. Some will cause gain and some loss. When you get the info you can move the watch overnight to a position that will give you accuracy the next morning.

Some of those positions as you mentioned are dial up. There is dial down. On its side crown down ( 3 o’clock ) and crown up (9 o’clock)

csf and FinWatch like this.
  18. FinWatch Feb 13, 2020

19. FinWatch Feb 13, 2020

Excellent review, thanks! Enjoy the watch!!!

csf likes this.
  20. stevec14 Feb 14, 2020

Great review. I have been wearing mine non stop for 6 weeks now. I love it.

I find the clasp to be one of the better ones I’ve used. Not flimsy at all and very secure. Love the fact it’s small. Each to their own however.

for the first 3/4 weeks the winding is quite tight/stiff. With daily winding it’s getting looser. No where near as easy as my 1861 but getting there.

one of the other things I love about the watch is the legibility of the gold hands. The only downside is that it’s very difficult to read the seconds sub dial with buzz in there.

overall, I think it’s a brilliant watch and despite the initial hoo hah, worth every penny of its mrsp. It’s very well done.

GadgetGuy88, csf and FinWatch like this.