Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Ann. Steel or Gold? Experiences and opinions, please!

1. Japanred Feb 15, 2020

Great review. Regarding point 5) I too find that the luminosity fades much quicker than my other speedmasters. Does anyone else have this? If so, why?

2. Kingkongsfinger Feb 15, 2020

Great review, love mine and wear daily except on holiday ☀️

image.jpg
    FinWatch likes this.
  3. pongster Feb 15, 2020

Except for the material, are the bracelets of both SS and moonshine gold the same?

4. FinWatch Feb 15, 2020

Based on the pics:
    Bracelets seems to be slightly different. I haven’t seen the fg live, don’t know for sure.

5. Alex87 Feb 15, 2020

I have both versions and the bracelets are different designs but both are really comfortable.

Edited Feb 15, 2020
    pongster and FinWatch like this.
  6. FinWatch Feb 15, 2020

Pics please!!!!

7. csf Feb 16, 2020

Incidentally, my stainless steel band was slightly too large. I went to my local Omega dealer to have a link removed, but they wanted me to leave it there for 3-4 days. No way that was happening. So, using info on this forum and on YouTube, I ordered the proper screwdriver and other tools from Amazon, and removed one link myself in about 20 minutes with no damage or problems ! Perfect fit now and extremely comfortable.

link.jpg

8. Evitzee Feb 16, 2020

Omega does have a fiddly system with their bracelet designs, I'm used to a single threaded pin. When I first adjusted the bracelet that tiny screw came out and I thought I had snapped the pin, but it is just their design. So you have to deal with two tiny screws and a center pin. I would suggest using a little purple thread locker when reinstalling the screws, you wouldn't want them to back out and drop off.

9. WatchCor Feb 16, 2020

I apologise if this is a redundant question , but haven't these already been sold out through AD's? Or are these still being delivered?

I understood that especially the gold one was almost sold out even before the first pieces hit AD's. :thumbsdown:

Of course one can source them through other channels.;)

10. Alex87 Feb 17, 2020

Good job :thumbsup:. The only thing to consider is heat the screw with a hairdryer first to loosen the loctite. I've striped a few screw-heads in the past, but luckily resizing the bracelets on both Apollo 11 LEs was straight forward.

11. Alex87 Feb 17, 2020

It doesn't hurt to phone around, people will drop out, so you might get lucky.

12. csf Feb 17, 2020

Thank you for the advice.

What I noticed on my bracelet was the small screws on the left side of the bracelet ( not the crown side ) were extremely tight and just would not release, even with significant pressure and heat applied. I was pretty frustrated. so I flipped the bracelet over. The same exact screws on the right ( crown side ) of the bracelet then released almost immediately, even with much less pressure. So I only took out the screws on the crown side of the bracelet (two adjacent screws, as I was only removing one link ).

Then I flipped the band over again and the two center pins easily fell right out with a few firm taps. The bracelet opened up, and the one link I was removing dropped right off. I then reassembled the bracelet . . . and now I only had to reinstall the one pin and replace the one screw on the crown side. I had bought some Loctite, but under magnification the screws I removed clearly had no sign of any such material, so I did not apply any either, but I will absolutely keep a careful eye on the one screw I put back. It does seem, however, that some thread locker was maybe used at the factory on the non-crown side of the bracelet, as I was never able to loosen any of those screws.

I then put the extra pin and screw back into the extra link and am now storing that in my beautiful "moonbox" .

Thanks again.

Edited Feb 17, 2020