Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Ann. Steel or Gold? Experiences and opinions, please!

1. FinWatch Jan 20, 2020

Thanks for this! It seems that the steel version is packed with all kind of extras and gold one is all about the watch! Like the original gold piece 1969.

2. FinWatch Jan 20, 2020

I forgot to ask:
    How is the lume in gold version, please?

3. enjoythemusic Jan 20, 2020

Not sure i can add much to what has already been posted. With SS Buzz butt you get LOTS of goodies and YES the bracelet is INCREDIBLE comfy (can not be said enough, it is that comfy to wear :) ).

[​IMG]

4. Japanred Jan 20, 2020

This might just be the best picture I’ve seen of this watch. Great job

Hduck and FinWatch like this.
  5. Boony Jan 21, 2020

There is no lume. It has black Onyx indices so its no good in the dark I'm afraid. But its not that sort of piece.

lando and FinWatch like this.
  6. FinWatch Jan 21, 2020

Thanks again! That black onyx looks so good in pics!!!

7. Omega-Q Jan 21, 2020

I own the Steel version and funny enough, I am wearing it today! I enjoy wearing mine on the cork strap. I'd post photos, but can't use portable electronic devices in my office. It's super comfortable, and incredibly light! It's a beautiful watch that I could stare at all day. I honestly don't even pay attention to Buzz's butt (like people who dislike the watch state). It has multiple presentations depending on how the light shines on it. If you can see one in person to help inform your decision...you will probably grab one for yourself. Good luck!

FinWatch likes this.
  8. FinWatch Jan 21, 2020

Thanks for your experiences! It would be great to see pics with the cork strap! Whenever it is possible for you to share these pics, please do! It seems that those who have trouble with Buzz’s butt, haven’t tried the watch on their wrist—just staring the butt-pics! LOL!

9. Omega-Q Jan 21, 2020

Here you go! I took a photo in shade and in light so you can see how it presents differently...

IMG_2465.jpg IMG_2466.jpg IMG_2467.jpg
    FinWatch likes this.
  10. FinWatch Jan 21, 2020

Looking good, great pics, thanks!!! I love the idea behind the cork: same material as used in the command module. What do you think of that sticker on the cork strap—does it feel cheap to you, does it feel durable?

11. Omega-Q Jan 21, 2020

It's not a sticker. It's a small tab in order to grab it to release the velcro. it feels very durable, so I don't think it will tear or break. I don't think it feels cheap at all. I find it extremely comfortable to wear, and it came with the watch, so why not? The gold parts on the strap match the gold on the watch perfectly. I enjoy it...but again, it's a matter of personal preference.

FinWatch likes this.
  12. Evitzee Jan 21, 2020

I've fondled the cork strap but at this point I have no desire to replace the flat link steel bracelet which is one of the best bracelets in the business. Thin, like a vintage, but with modern construction. Maybe I'll opt for a change in the future but I've got other Speedmasters on various textile straps to keep me entertained when I don't want a bracelet.

Hduck, FinWatch and Omega-Q like this.
  13. Omega-Q Jan 21, 2020

Fondled, eh? haha...I agree with you 100%. The bracelet is the most comfortable and amazing feeling one in the lineup. I just prefer straps in general! :)

FinWatch likes this.
  14. FinWatch Jan 21, 2020

If possible: Could you please share some more pics of your golden Speedmaster please? It would also be great if you could share your thoughts about the legibility of the golden one... The contrast with the gold and black onyx seems to be strong!

15. FinWatch Jan 22, 2020

I love these Omega-videos of the two watches...
    The golden Speedmaster has cleaner look and stronger connection to 1969 historically speaking.
    The price is also very high... to get this one (if possible to get) I should consolidate... Maby more collectible also, but the original one would be the one to get if thinking collectibility only.
    The steel version is almost perfect. The lume is an advantage and the price is more reasonable.
    Both watches have this great movement Master Chrononeter 3861 which is great if you are about to use the watch—as you should! For example this 321 to come: If the mechanical watch has zero resistance to Magnetism, nowadays it is a great weakness.

Lu.. likes this.
  16. enjoythemusic Jan 22, 2020

A most humble thanks.

IMHO i photographically 'blew out' the Buzz Butt a bit with too much light. The whole butt thing / debate does not irk me, although it does make seeing the seconds hand a bit of a challenge in general. Overall, she is my most comfy modern 'daily beater' and love it! Please allow me to thank Nick @ Mayors in Tampa for procuring one for me as am a huge NASA / astrophotography guy (10" light bucket and TeleVue Powermates 2x and 4x, and for visuals use TeleVue Ethos eyepieces).

Did i mention how amazingly comfortable this timepiece is to wear? Oh yeah, i did :)

Fred91, Japanred and FinWatch like this.
  17. stevec14 Jan 22, 2020

completely agreed. It’s become my daily too and is so comfortable.

I love the gold but echo your thoughts on the second hand visibility. Overall, It’s so much better than I ever expected it to be.

FinWatch likes this.
  18. Ottsby Jan 22, 2020

ADs keep calling and asking if I want one but I’ve said no every time. #buzzbutt

The new 321 looks more interesting in my book but the price is crazy

19. stevec14 Jan 22, 2020

Really? Many people that can’t get one want one. What don’t you do the right thing instead of trolling this thread and say wherever this exists?

20. Japanred Jan 22, 2020

I’ve been wearing mine almost daily since I picked it up 5 weeks ago. Can’t say that Buzz bothers me in the slightest. Quite a few work colleagues, friends and family members commented on how nice the watch was when I saw them over Christmas and the New Year; they all liked the fact it had a pic of the moon landing on the front. No negative comments so far about the butt. (Maybe they were just been nice to me though haha).

Also loving the steel bracelet. Great watch all in all.

rohnin, FinWatch and stevec14 like this.