Speedmaster 3861

This is the watch that leaves me pining every time I see it posted around here. Not in my range at the moment, but a grail purchase for sure. Casual shopping leaves me scratching my head though. Prices range from $2500 to nearly $6000. The problem is that I can’t distinguish the difference between them. I’ve got time to do my homework and save, but I’m going to need you folks to help me make the right pick when the time comes. Until then, I’ll be the guy that lingers on the posts of your watch.

It’s such a great watch. You can’t go wrong. No way these are selling for $2500 though. One from the “Recommended” thread just went for $5k I thought was a decent price. Keep an eye on that thread for comps. They come up pretty often. The question is Hesalite or Sapphire?

IMG_7207.jpeg

$2500? I don't think that's a realistic price. Most I've seen are in the $5-6k, with the lower end being hesalite on a leather strap.

There's 3590.50 (861) and 3570.50 (1861) in the $4k range. If the 3861 is you grail, absolutely get that. Just saying that there are options.

For a 3861, you'll probably be looking for deals around $5,000. If you can actually find deals on watches that aren't destroyed or stolen for half, I have a couple of friends who would gladly be interested.

I see 33 Hesalite 3861s on bracelet on C24 (in stock and complete with box/papers), from $4,900 to $7,000. You are going to have to pay right at $5,000 in today's market. Of course you can always go for a late model 1861 and save money. Just depends on what you want.

It’s such a great watch. You can’t go wrong. No way these are selling for $2500 though. One from the “Recommended” thread just went for $5k I thought was a decent price. Keep an eye on that thread for comps. They come up pretty often. The question is Hesalite or Sapphire?

IMG_7207.jpeg
Hesalite is where I’m leaning.

The Hesalite 3861 has a printed logo, lacks the polished small "center" links, and is 13.6mm tall. The sapphire model has an applied logo and has the polished small centerlinks bordering. Other than the Milky ring on the 3861 SS the fastest tell is going to be the applied or printed logo. Oh, it's 13.2mm tall.

You can instantly tell the difference between this and the prior 1861/1863 by looking at the seconds track around the watch and at the chronometer hand, the 3861 has a smaller counterweight and has less delineations around the outer track.
The sub dials also seem to be more visible on the 3861.

I recently compared a 3861 and 1863 in person. I was trading a Seamaster heritage for the speedy, and although I could definitely tell the difference between the two dials, I went with the 1863, but I don't think there's enough difference between the appearance of the two watches to make a huge amount of difference. I know a lot of people get really misty-eyed over the applied logo, but it doesn't make or break the watch for me, and I have to say that the "Omega Speedmaster professional" pyramid style text from the prior gen is REALLY gorgeous. Obviously, you may not be concerned with the organization of the text, but I think this is what steered me towards the 1863.

However, I do really like the bracelet on the new moonwatch... I decided to order a A11 flat link to replace the prior gen bracelet. There is part of me that wonders of all eventually get a current gen moonwatch or at least the current ge bracelet though, it's great.

One other consideration is that you're probably going to wind up sending your watch to Omega for any service for the tune of 900+, whereas if you look at the 1861 a reliable local watchmaker should be able to service it for about half that. That maybe a consideration for you, it may not.. you probably won't be looking at service for another 10 years or so.

If I had to do it all over again, I'm not sure what decision I would make. I was initially dead set on getting a 3861, but seeing it directly compared to the prior generation, I became less and less certain.

I probably would go through the same sort of indecision that I did then- they're both great watches. I don't think you can go wrong with the 3861 bracelet, though. That is a winner.
Edited:

There's been some great deals on eBay for a Hesalite Speedmaster 3861 recently. Here's one that was recommended by dsio and sold for $4,150 (Hesalite on a bracelet). I think anything under $4,500 is a great deal since they retail for $7,000.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...-ebay-not-inquiries.5447/page-97#post-2293031

Agreed, I probably should have considered The hesalite 3861 and I don't think you can go wrong with this as an option. Omega's applied painted logos are classic and gorgeous, the milky ring isn't a make or break for me but I definitely notice it, and that fully polished bracelet is great.
Edited:

Hesalite is where I’m leaning.
I also went Hesalite. The milk ring on the sapphire was a deal breaker for me although from what I’ve read it’s more pronounced in photos than to the naked eye. The applied logo on the sapphire will be hidden behind the chrono hand most of the time too unless you park it elsewhere, which I do sometimes to get a clear view of the logo. I’ll also add, compared to the 1861 the stepped dial on the 3861 adds a lot IMO and the new bracelet is great.

I also went Hesalite. The milk ring on the sapphire was a deal breaker for me although from what I’ve read it’s more pronounced in photos than to the naked eye. The applied logo on the sapphire will be hidden behind the chrono hand most of the time too unless you park it elsewhere, which I do sometimes to get a clear view of the logo. I’ll also add, compared to the 1861 the stepped dial on the 3861 adds a lot IMO and the new bracelet is great.

I agree with these points. The logo really does hide behind the Chrono hand and.. I really like omegas painted logos. As far as the milk ring is concerned it is more pronounced in photos and I typically don't notice it on my 1863 unless I'm looking for it. The step dial is quite a bit different visually. I like both dials, so that's going to come down to personal preference.

For OPs viewing pleasure:

1000009849.jpg

I agree with these points. The logo really does hide behind the Chrono hand and.. I really like omegas painted logos. As far as the milk ring is concerned it is more pronounced in photos and I typically don't notice it on my 1863 unless I'm looking for it. The step dial is quite a bit different visually. I like both dials, so that's going to come down to personal preference.

For OPs viewing pleasure:

1000009849.jpg
Very nice combo.

Stepped dial and the ability to hack seconds… I am very happy with the upgraded Speedy. Milky ring was not an issue / I like the applied logo. Equally enjoying the FOIS currently. They are all good watches :0)

I’ll watch it and see where it lands. I have smallish wrists…7 1/8 inches (18cm). I am not in a location where trying one on is an option. I read that they wear smaller than 42mm. Anyone else have similar sized wrists that have the speedy? I just don’t want a gangly large watch hanging on my arm….i don’t think it’ll be an issue, but it is a hefty investment to try on.

I’ll watch it and see where it lands. I have smallish wrists…7 1/8 inches (18cm). I am not in a location where trying one on is an option. I read that they wear smaller than 42mm. Anyone else have similar sized wrists that have the speedy? I just don’t want a gangly large watch hanging on my arm….i don’t think it’ll be an issue, but it is a hefty investment to try on.

Just over 7" here. It's 42 mm with the crown/pusher guards, it's actually a 39.7mm case. The lug to Lug on the 3861 is like 47 and a half or so, on the 1863 in the images below it's just over 48mm. The new style bracelet also has end links that mean the lug to Lug is "true."1000009860.jpg 1000009861.jpg 1000009862.jpg

Pictures of watches on wrists can be, at times misleading, so I attempted to grab some different angles. You can clearly see that this watch is not too big for me and I strongly doubt it would be too big for you. The 3861 is going to have a little bit less length across the wrist, and this particular watch is 13.5 mm tall, so essentially identical to the Hesalite version you are considering height-wise.
Edited:

7-1/4” wrists here. Lots of breathing room and very comfortable.

IMG_0547.jpeg IMG_0544.jpeg IMG_0545.jpeg IMG_0546.jpeg
IMG_0549.jpeg IMG_0548.jpeg