Speedmaster 38 Black— 324.30.38.50.01.001

Just joined this forum and got my first Omega Speedmaster 38. My AD showed me the Professional that I really wanted, but suggested that it was too large for my 6" wrist. Tried other options by IWC, but eventually settled on the 38. Definitely thought it was "blingier" and more showy than the Professional, but came to the conclusion that this would be a dress watch and I would look for a more casual/sport watch in the IWC Mark or Omega Speedmaster Racing (prev gen 40mm). Bought a watch winder and kind of glad that I don't have to manual wind. The prev gen Omega Speedmaster Racing is actually my favorite...but stock is low and hoping to find a leftover at some AD's. Not much luck so far...

Thanks to everyone here for posting pictures and reviews and making me comfortable with this purchase 😀.

Just joined this forum and got my first Omega Speedmaster 38. My AD showed me the Professional that I really wanted, but suggested that it was too large for my 6" wrist. Tried other options by IWC, but eventually settled on the 38. Definitely thought it was "blingier" and more showy than the Professional, but came to the conclusion that this would be a dress watch and I would look for a more casual/sport watch in the IWC Mark or Omega Speedmaster Racing (prev gen 40mm). Bought a watch winder and kind of glad that I don't have to manual wind. The prev gen Omega Speedmaster Racing is actually my favorite...but stock is low and hoping to find a leftover at some AD's. Not much luck so far...

Thanks to everyone here for posting pictures and reviews and making me comfortable with this purchase 😀.

This is an interesting watch, in some ways a continuation of the Speedmaster Reduced. It wears well on my 7" wrist on the bracelet, but I'm trying to get a leather/deployant strap, hoping to get a non-tapered 18mm leather that can use the 18mm clasp. The 3330 movement is apparently quite good and is a COSC rated chronometer, mine, so far, gains about 1 sec/day. It's starting to grow on me, I do use my Speedy Pro in rotation, but the 38 is my "daily driver". I think you made a good choice, the Speedmaster is a classic look with some real history.
Welcome to the forum, it's an interesting & positive group, share some pictures & enjoy your journey😀

Received this the other day. Looks better in person than stock pictures online. It wears larger than 38mm, I would say closer to 40, so I would recommend for people who think the Professional is too large.

Some observations:
The domed sapphire crystal has a parallax/magnification effect similar to hesalite. Chronograph pushers have a very nice beveled edge detail. The dial is a satin black, not sunburst like the marketing images show. I much prefer this so that’s a bonus. Subdials are countersunk and have a concentric circles finish. Outer edge of the tachymetre bezel has a polished finish with grooves for each measurement.

First impressions are very good. Movement’s rotor is relatively quiet. Winding is very smooth. Very comfortable on the bracelet so far.

Very nice, you wear that really well.

This is an interesting watch, in some ways a continuation of the Speedmaster Reduced. It wears well on my 7" wrist on the bracelet, but I'm trying to get a leather/deployant strap, hoping to get a non-tapered 18mm leather that can use the 18mm clasp. The 3330 movement is apparently quite good and is a COSC rated chronometer, mine, so far, gains about 1 sec/day. It's starting to grow on me, I do use my Speedy Pro in rotation, but the 38 is my "daily driver". I think you made a good choice, the Speedmaster is a classic look with some real history.
Welcome to the forum, it's an interesting & positive group, share some pictures & enjoy your journey😀

After a long time lusting after an Omega watch- I finally took the plunge, to mark my 40th birthday last year, with one of these Speedmaster 38s :-D

I absolutely love it so far.

Timekeeping wise it’s gaining around 5-10 seconds per day, having worn it every day since I got it- does that seem reasonable? It’s fine for me, but this is my first automatic mechanical watch, so no idea how that compares.

The lume is rubbish- I’m lucky if I get more than 15 minutes after leaving it in sunlight for a few hours, but again that seems consistent with what I’ve read elsewhere?

Next up some straps maybe. I’d like an omega black alligator on deployment clasp to dress it up a bit.
Maybe a nato too. Anyone fitted the Omega 19mm nato on the 18mm lugs? Better to go with an 18mm strap from 3rd party manufacturer?!

I am not as knowledgeable as most guys here but I own three Omega watches ranging from 30 years old to two years old and none of them gain or loose that much time in a day. 1-2 seconds is what it should be. Lovely watch none the less, but, I would take it back to OB and have them look into it.

I agree, it's a COSC Certified watch, mine gains 1 sec/day, if your AD has one or you have access to a Timegrapher, worth taking a look see. I take no special care, wear it most all day, sits crown up on the dresser at night.

Deployant strap arrived Monday, very nice except for two issues: strap is way too short & as lugs are 18mm, strap tapers to 16mm, which, for me is too narrow. Hopefully my AD can come up with a proper length 18mm strap that uses the 18mm clasp.
Are there any 18mm Horween style or stitched leather straps that don't taper to 16? Or is my only option a single-pass leather NATO? I have a 7" wrist and the 18mm tapered straps just seem too small. Hoping if Omega doesn't have an 18mm non-tapered deployant, they may have a tan/brown leather strap with an Omega 18mm buckle. Another trip to the AD to exchange the one I got means another walk by the "Case of Temptation"

Ok, the correct deployant strap came in, really wanted a non-tapered 18mm strap that would use the 18mm deployant clasp, but, using what Omega offered, I'm really pleased with the color, fit/feel and overall appearance. This is proving to be a very accurate watch, I'm wearing it almost every day, it's unmistakably a Speedmaster, but the smaller size and rhodium accents give it a jewel-like appearance.

Well, this is an update as well as a inquiry to the original poster, how did your 38mm Coaxial Speedmaster work out for you? After some months of more-or-less daily wear (alternating with my Speedy Pro on weekends) this gem of an Omega has proven to be a real delight, with the additional blessing of being very accurate, well within COSC standards at +1 sec/day, remarkably unfussy, I seem to be totally satisfied with it. The bracelet has been in the box since the deployant strap arrived and will most likely remain there.

Really thinking about getting this watch. My 6.25" wrists are too small for the MOTM. Maybe as well for the FOIS. Im actually contemplating getting the light blue version of this 38mm CoAxial. I love color and like to be different, but every AD Ive gone into doesnt have the blue one. I dont think its a very good seller. Its also hard to get an accurate gauge of how the light blue looks in the flesh. It photographs different every time I see a photo. To take a leap like this, I actually have to see it and test-drive it in person.

But Im hoping if I find a dealer with one they will be ready to negotiate aggressively on price and get it down to something more in line with Chrono24 pricing. If they could get close, Id rather buy from the AD.

It is my impression, having seen both the black and the colored faces together that the models with colored faces with the oval sub-dials and oval date are more unisex and designed to appeal to women. The black faced 38 has round dials and a rectangular date window and resembles a standard Speedy, has a more masculine vibe. Worn almost daily on an Omega deployant leather strap (tan, see pictures in previous posts) it has been a satisfying, accurate and comfortable companion. The blue face is a kind of soft blue, almost pastel. Hope this is helpful.
Further notes, I was definitely looking for a watch that had a strong resemblance to my 42mm Hesalite Speedmaster, I actually traded a recently acquired Seamaster 300 Pro with the blue face on the 38mm. The colored faces weren't under consideration, but you definitely want to find one at an AD or Boutique to get a hands on feel for it. You stand a better chance at an AD to negotiate a decent price, mine routinely gives 20% off MSRP. I have 7" wrists and on the deployant leather strap, wears well, I found the bracelet unsatisfactory due to it's inability to be adjusted for a comfortable fit (no micro-adjust or half-links) and didn't care for the butterfly clasp.
Edited:

I'm also looking into these. I have a condition that by now, and especially with the recent limits on meds, makes it impossible to wind my Pro, with or without the tools I've got. It does seem a reasonable compromise between the MW when compared to, say, the Reduced.

It seems to have good reserve, I've had it for almost 4 months, haven't wound it manually since I put it on at the dealer. I know it's gone at least 48 hours sitting on the desk without winding, just put it back on & go about my day. Runs +1-1.5 sec/day, very consistent. Needless to say, I'm pleased with it.

I do like the black w/round subdials. I just wanted to see the pale blue firsthand before I completely threw it aside. I like pastel colors and am comfortable enough w/the ovals and my manhood to deal w/any questionable looks. But I know the black is a no-brainer. Been following Chrono24 on the black and they are about $3700 shipped which is about $700 cheaper than AD after a 20% discount but with sales tax. If I could find a reputable USA dealer on there w/box papers for a new one with a warranty punch date that was fairly current Id probably buy it sight unseen. Anyone bought from watchshopping.com on either their web site or Chrono24? Its gotta be NIB with box/papers.

I did see a grey one in the flesh at an AD in the Bahamas. Looked good but the price was meh even w/the duty free.
Edited:

I do like the black w/round subdials. I just wanted to see the pale blue firsthand before I completely threw it aside. I like pastel colors and am comfortable enough w/the ovals and my manhood to deal w/any questionable looks. But I know the black is a no-brainer. Been following Chrono24 on the black and they are about $3700 shipped which is about $700 cheaper than AD after a 20% discount but with sales tax. If I could find a reputable USA dealer on there w/box papers for a new one with a warranty punch date that was fairly current Id probably buy it sight unseen. Anyone bought from watchshopping.com on either their web site or Chrono24? Its gotta be NIB with box/papers.

I did see a grey one in the flesh at an AD in the Bahamas. Looked good but the price was meh even w/the duty free.

No judgement from me as far as color choice, I've seen the grey, it was ok, really surprised and somewhat disappointed they don't offer it in white (read: mini-silver Snoopy) Unless the bracelet fits you well, you can pretty well plan on a strap. Only real criticism I could make, I would have preferred all the hands and markers to have been white (at least on the black faced model) instead of the rhodium, certainly would have brought it closer to a Reduced in overall appearance and vibe. That being a given, a white face with black hands and indices would have been a definite buy for me.
Edited:

Any follow ups on how the 38 Blacks are holding up? Are you guys still fans?

I'm trying to decide between the Moonwatch 42mm, the FOIS and the 38 Black Co Axial. It would seem that the 38 Black is really quite a different watch than the other two, but as I'm not necessarily a Speedy purist, I find the design, construction and ethos of the 38 Black particularly attractive (automatic, sapphire, date, co axial, etc...with a less overtly macho/bro-y aesthetic...). Also, I think the smaller size is much more attractive (and appropriate on my 6.25 wrist...).

Any further thoughts?

Any follow ups on how the 38 Blacks are holding up? Are you guys still fans?

I'm trying to decide between the Moonwatch 42mm, the FOIS and the 38 Black Co Axial. It would seem that the 38 Black is really quite a different watch than the other two, but as I'm not necessarily a Speedy purist, I find the design, construction and ethos of the 38 Black particularly attractive (automatic, sapphire, date, co axial, etc...with a less overtly macho/bro-y aesthetic...). Also, I think the smaller size is much more attractive (and appropriate on my 6.25 wrist...).

Any further thoughts?
As you can see from my previous posts & pictures, I have found my 38mm Black a very pleasant daily companion, it's overall resemblance to my 42mm Speedy is a daily reminder of just how much I like this iconic design. IMHO, the 38mm looks & wears better on a leather deployant strap than the butterfly clasp bracelet that it comes with, which has no micro-adjust. I haven't wound it manually since the day I picked it up and its consistently +1-1.5 sec/day with no particular attention given to its position when not being worn. I have a 8" wrist and it doesn't look inappropriately small. The date window is, simultaneously, inconspicuous and easily read. As you have aptly reflected, it has a different ethos, but, at it's core, it's still a Speedmaster.

7/1/2001
One additional bonus, at least for me, is the method of advancing the date, one gentle push with the supplied tool, and done, no fishing around with finding the correct detent on the stem or wondering which way to turn. For those months with less than 31 days, very nice & convenient.
Edited:

Ok...so I took the plunge and...wow! I love this watch! Any advice on switching out the bracelet, though? I like the bracelet, but I'd also like to wear the watch on a strap. I don't want to have to take the watch in every time I want to switch, but my first timid attempt to remove the bracelet on my own failed...share your strategies please!...Thanks!

Never mind...I figured out the bracelet (didn't realize you had to work it from both sides of the spring...). Anyway, really happy with this piece. So thanks to you other folks for helping me come to the decision to pick one up.