Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 1861 at MSRP worth it?

1. cjoedaniel Feb 9, 2021

So I called my AD today and they have a few left both in hesalite and sapphire. They told me that because the watches are discontinued they are not offering any discounts. This wasn't an issue when the new Seamaster came out, they were able to offer a 15% discount on the outgoing model.
    Here's my question, based on past trends do discontinued Speedmasters typically appreciate in value, justifying paying sticker price? I was ambivalent before with this watch and now with all of this hype I am regretting not purchasing it earlier at a decent discount. Obviously not looking at this as an investment, etc., just can't stand paying MSRP. I am wondering if there is still a lot of inventory out there at international airports, etc due to the lack of traveling this past year.
    Seems like the 3861 will probably be discounted in a year or so, albeit the price point will still be higher than the outgoing models.

2. Dan S Feb 9, 2021

3. 64Wing Feb 9, 2021

Appreciation is relative when you factor in acquisition cost.

I bought an 1861 005 (hesalite) Speedy brand new from an AD at the end of 2018. Got it around 30% under list. No idea how.

Anyway, the watch has technically appreciated since it's worth more than I paid. But is it worth as much as list? That could be debated.

Best thing to do is see what people are actually able to sell their 1861 speedys for right now. You know, the folks that just gotta have that tapered bracelet ::facepalm1::

watchfisher, vbrad26 and cjoedaniel like this.
  4. cjoedaniel Feb 9, 2021

The bracelet isn’t so much of an issue for me. In fact more of a detraction due to the lack of a micro adjust at that price point.

I think I would be more curious about the chronometer rating and what real world numbers are compared to the 1861 out of the box. The anti magnetism is nice but realistically isn’t so much of a selling point. Anybody know how much magnetism astronauts are exposed to?

64Wing likes this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 9, 2021

Right now it’s a tad high... in 2 months... who knows.

as for magnetic issues the hesalite with its dust cover/ faraday cage is fairly resistant to issues.

also if you buy on strap the 1171/633 bracelet looks better and is available from any OB for a surprisingly affordable price.

Edited Feb 9, 2021
    stevec14 and Pun like this.
  6. 64Wing Feb 9, 2021

I've managed to magnetize more than one piece in my line of work. Not sure if it's ever been so severe as to benefit from a higher Gauss rating.

As for the bracelet topic, I think it looks plain ugly. The clasp is alright. Dial, bezel, & hands are nice. Idk. Maybe I'll just have to see one in person and compare them for my own self.

7. 64Wing Feb 9, 2021

I mean....the bracelet is really just made of these 5002043.jpeg

sgrenald and cjoedaniel like this.
  8. Rado63 Feb 9, 2021

The 311.30.42.30.01.005 has slowly increased in price on the secondary market. The price today is probably at its highest trending between the $4200 - $ 4800 range. I would call other AD's and see who wants to give you the price you want for that new unused piece. At 20% discount from $5350 retail, that gives it a price of $4280. Today, that's about low end pre owned pricing. Calling around could get you something of a discount from an AD but to be real it's doubtful the AD is going to want to discount since they see the secondary market prices rising a bit on these as well. Usually once a piece gets discontinued prices go up a bit. Used 3750.50 have some priced similar to to the 311.30.42.30.01.005. Maybe retail is your best shot at this time for complete set and unworn.

Aludic and cjoedaniel like this.
  9. cjoedaniel Feb 10, 2021

Yes, with a 10% discount on the new hesalite you start to get close to the MSRP of the 1861. I'm also starting to think that since the newer model is US$1k more than the outgoing, even if I pay MSRP for the 1861, it should hold value right out of the gate. I'll be visiting my AD in a couple of weeks when I pick up my rubber strap so maybe I'll make them a deal they can't refuse :)

Another weird caveat is that this AD is currently not associated with OMEGA. Apparently they lost it when they were forced to move locations. They can still order parts and have an OMEGA certified watchmaker in-store but have no access to new watches. When I asked about warranty on a new purchase they said of course its covered. Not sure how OMEGA deals with former ADs but I may use this as a bargaining chip.

10. jb.44 Feb 10, 2021

Definitely depends on how long you are planning on holding onto the watch. I will guess that by the end of this year the prices on the old speedmaster models will have gone down dramatically, they are only inflated right now due to the recent discontinuation. The newer models(imo) look much cleaner and have movement upgrades that will lead to them being more popular, I am not exactly sure on the availability of them right now.

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. scapa Feb 10, 2021

I think there is likely to be a correction, but perhaps not a dramatic one. There's likely a decent stock of NOS and good-to-mint 1861s for a good long time, although the price spread is wide enough in some markets that paying 40% less for, say, an 1861 vs. 3861 sapphire sandwich might make sense. And lower-run editions like the FOIS are likely to stay pretty steady, IMO.

12. toolr Feb 11, 2021

Are you buying the watch to resell? If so, you'll likely lose money. If you're buying the watch because you want to keep it, get it while it's still available.

13. FFabian Feb 11, 2021

I bought one 1861 end of January for retail price. Wasn't much cheaper on the grey market and I plan to keep it anyway. For ME it was worth it.

Edited Feb 11, 2021
  14. cjoedaniel Feb 11, 2021

No not for reselling. I am hoping to pass it on to my son someday.

15. abgul Feb 11, 2021

Buy to enjoy - if goes up great.

64Wing likes this.
  16. Donn Chambers Feb 11, 2021

There are only two watches to buy at full MSRP:

1. It’s a watch you intend to keep and the small savings you might get by shopping around won’t matter in a few years.

2. it’s a Rolex and you can turn around and sell it for a huge a huge profit. :)

sounds like the OP is #1; I say go for it.

17. Mathew J Feb 11, 2021

Do any other dealers have them? I got mine right when they announced the new model for a standard discount

cjoedaniel likes this.
  18. Bruinjuly Feb 11, 2021

BB3EC8E7-F485-4742-A888-1A9D4D76B88C.jpeg BB3EC8E7-F485-4742-A888-1A9D4D76B88C.jpeg Is it worth the MSRP? I think it’s valued correctly and represents one of the fairer priced watches in this ridiculous hobby we have.

If you are looking at it as an investment then I’d suggest putting money elsewhere. I bought my Hesalite speedy to mark the birth of my son. He’s now 4. I wear it and haven’t thought about the price I paid for it since the day I bought it.

At this point it’s priceless.

So I suggest looking at these with that lens. Buy, enjoy, and know that you aren’t getting ripped off if you pay retail.

gnuyork, DoctorEvil and cjoedaniel like this.
  19. cjoedaniel Feb 12, 2021

Good points. I’m beginning to wonder if I should hold out and wait for the 3861s to be readily available and discounted. A decent 10% discount would put the watch pretty close to the 1861 at MSRP.

20. thatmatt Feb 12, 2021

I guess just be wary that depending how long it takes for the 3861s to be readily available and discounted, they might have been through a number of price bumps, potentially negating that discount. A tricky decision!

cjoedaniel likes this.