Speedmaster 145.022-69 ST Straight Writing

That s what I said in post 8 above. Do not touch the dial - never "relume" (AKA destroy)

Having first bought the 3861 this likely influenced your reaction to the normal wear of a vintage watch. With time you will likely succumb to the charms of a well worn Speedy. It’s all about expectations in this world ( not just vintage watches)
Enjoy the watch

I am fortunate. I live 20 minutes from Chronotek. I've had several watches serviced by them. Michael is a pleasure to deal with and talk to.
chronotekinc.com

I am fortunate. I live 20 minutes from Chronotek. I've had several watches serviced by them. Michael is a pleasure to deal with and talk to.
chronotekinc.com
Yes, he is, and he and his watchmakers are very good at their craft. I've had them service at least 8 vintage watches from my collection and they have done a very good job on all of them, including the restoration of this 1959 Constellation 14381:
1679385-70d95d8519885a55e17f67cc8b652422.jpg

As others have said, these are relatively common issues and of course are the reason the sp101 price chart increases significantly towards the top end - it’s unusual and had to find examples that have none of these issues.

I’d wear it for a bit, particularly outside in the sun, to see if it grows on you. To me I wouldn’t get it relumed as there’s plenty of original lume left. I also would have it refinished as most of the case is ok. To me, it’s an ideal daily wearer if you can end up liking the overall aesthetic. If not, sell it.

Great tip to wear the Speedy out in the sun! I have taken a sharp turn on this watch from considering a quick resale on Thursday to absolutely loving it by Saturday! I've taken some pictures of the watch in full sun.

It’s a good looking watch at a fair price, wear it and enjoy. 😎

The photos in the sun look great. You paid a little more than what I paid for a -76 way back in 2019, when these were going for much less, so I think you actually did quite well, as others have mentioned. I would advise against getting it refinished though. I assume that's going to be quite expensive and probably not worth it for a watch at this price. Just wear it for what it is, and if you get tired of it or want something new, just sell it and it may actually be easier to sell knowing that you're selling something that isn't refinished.

Also, the bezel looks fantastic. These vintage Speedies with a faded bezel are just so attractive.

chronotekinc.com

For those of you that have used Chronotek in PA before: Have you had any case refinishing done? Chronotek will do moderate case refinishing free of charge/included with the service. They begin charging if substantial laser welding is needed which I am almost certain my case will not need substantial laser welding. I am on the fence about refinishing and would much appreciate seeing any before and after pictures or hearing first hand experiences.

Time for an update! I sent the watch off to Chronotek for service in February, 2024 and received it back yesterday. I am very happy with the results. The watch is nearly fully original still (crown and pushers were replaced), and it is running perfectly. I am looking forward to having this on the wrist, especially this summer as we celebrate the 55th anniversary of the moon landing!

View attachment 1800986

My SW that has been in my possession for over eleven years now. During that period it has progressively turned a lovely chocolate.
Love it as much now if not more than when I purchased.
IMG_0283.jpeg

Congrats with this excellent result, that is a fine watch !

Congrats, that’s a fantastic watch acquired at a more than fair price.

Thank you for sharing your journey, one of the many reasons I love this forum.