Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 1171 Bracelet permanent link wrong assembly (upside down)

1. Geme81 Jan 29, 2020

Hallo to everyone,
    I'm new in the forum but I read that there are a lot of experts dealing with the typical issue on the watches.
    I ask you an help regarding a bracelet I bought for my 145022-74. The bracelet Is a 1171 with 633 end links vintage (trapezoid logo) but I saw that probably it was repaired by someone not expert. On one side the permanent link close to the last was repaired and re-assembled wrongly. One of the two side has the profile looks upside down. It's evident from the profile shape that doesn't follow the right direction. Can you help me how can be put in order? Are there toolings necessary to unplug the fitted pins? Is something that can be done?
    Below there are some pictures helpful to understand.
    Thank you in Advance for the help.
    Thanks to OF for the opportunity.
    Elio

IMG_20200128_201723~2.jpg IMG_20200128_201800~2.jpg IMG_20200128_201355.jpg
    Edited Jan 30, 2020
  2. Geme81 Jan 30, 2020

Anyone know how to fix the link?

3. Geme81 Feb 7, 2020

Help!!

4. janice&fred Feb 7, 2020

depending on where you are you can try a jewelry repair shop or seasoned watch maker as they may have separated bracelet links in the past. Chances are the center links are going to have to be pried open to swap around the links so they are in the proper sequence. If no one nearby wants to take on the job you could try the guys that specialize in bracelet restoration. there's M. young in hong kong, Rolliworks in Calif. and recently a guy in the UK posted he works on bracelets but I can't recall his user name.

5. zoohannover Feb 7, 2020

These links are usually hold together with two pressed-in pins.
    Since only one side is upside down it looks like you have to take the outer ones apart, turn one of them and press them together again. In addition to scratches, etc., my concern would be whether the connection is then strong enough.

I have seen people doing this with a plier and a vice. And of course there is a tool for that. At least for Rolex:
    https://www.esslinger.com/rolex-oyster-watch-bracelet-link-remover-tool/

I would let someone do it professionally. ;)

6. Geme81 Feb 7, 2020

Good to know, I tried to contact some watch repair center and they don't manage a kind of restoration at tjis level. Unfortunately I'm in Italy (Turin area) and actually I don't know if tthere is a good repair shop around me. Thanks anyway for the suggestion!!

7. Geme81 Feb 7, 2020

Wow, yes the bracelet 1171 should have knurled pins connecting the two external parts by fittings! I'll check if are available some tooling on sale for disassembly but I'd like to leave on experts hands the bracelets. I'll submit the picture you provided for better explaining to the repair shops the issue since it can simplify the understanding of the procedure. thank you very much for the suggestion. Elio