Forums Latest Members

Stiff permanent links on Speedmaster bracelet

1. Sigg79 Jun 12, 2020

I have an Omega Speedmaster which was bought last year. Lately two of the permanent links on the bracelet have become stiff. They "soften up" and become more smooth as I wear the watch, I guess because the metal heats. When I pick up the watch in the morning, the links are very stiff again.

I have tried cleaning the bracelet gently using soapy water and a tooth brush. I have also tried applying small amounts of baby oil (skin friendly) to the links. Cleaning makes the links smooth again for a few days before they stiffen up again.

I'm considering a trip to the AD where the watch was bought, but want to ask the forum if there are any other things to try first. I'm apprehensive about handing off the watch, since dismantling the permanent link would possibly scratch the bracelet, especially since the AD managed to scratch it while sizing it a year ago.

If I go the AD route, is this a problem that warrants a new bracelet, or will the just replace the permanent links? I called them today, but the employee said they had to look at it in person first, but he could not recall anyone else having the problem.

2. steelfish Jun 12, 2020

Have you bent the pin inside the link somehow? I bought a 2nd hand X-33 some years back and the Ti bracelet was exactly like that. When I popped the pins and tube out there was just a small kink in it - just enough to make it stiff when cold.

If it's a kinked tube in a permanent link though, I have no idea if they can replace just that one link.

Sigg79 likes this.
  3. Sigg79 Jun 14, 2020

No, I have never tried to take apart any oft permanent links. Nothing else have happened to the bracelet that could cause the stiff links.

4. Celestron Jun 16, 2020

Go to you Omega dealer. I had the exact same issue, they need to be replaced.

Sigg79 likes this.
  5. Sigg79 Jun 16, 2020

Thanks! Did they just replace the permanent links in question on your bracelet, or the entire bracelet?

6. Celestron Jun 16, 2020

In my case it was a link that was removable. So they replaced it with a link from a speedy they had on display (weird, I know, but it happened). They said that the link in question was slightly bigger which caused the stiffness. Looks like this is a recurring issue. Disappointing.

Sigg79 likes this.