Forums Latest Members
  1. donkii Mar 14, 2015

you sure about this :)? Great information however, thanks.

2. ChrisN Mar 14, 2015

::shy:: Just took the back off, in panic!, and you are absolutely correct. Don't know why I have this wrong in my mind. Thanks!

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 14, 2015

Congrats a 005 has more market value than a 004

boat2dan and ChrisN like this.
  4. ketiljo Mar 14, 2015

While we're at serial numbers, when was the switch from 561 to 564? I have a 168.005 561 wil a 24mil serial. Should be at the switch between the two calibers?

5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 14, 2015

Both calibers were used at the same time I believe. Some 564's with lower serial were seen alongside 561's with higher serial number.
    2015-03-14_12-17-24.jpg

What serial number is your 561?

NB
    People prefer 564 with quickset function and love to swap the 564 from a cheap C case into a nice 005.

6. TNTwatch Mar 14, 2015

@donkii The thicker print is not unusual and likely due to different batches or different dial manufactures all together. Thicker print also explains the smaller space between the L and the vertical line. The eBay's redial example doesn't have the same important characteristics like the serifs at the top of the letters M's and L's, and also the edges of the pie-pan are soft compared to the one you're considering.

@gatorcpa How did you see the Omega logo as off? I do not see anything off with it at all. About the wonky star, Hoi's cross-hair example also has the wonky star as well as ChrisN's example. This doesn't appear to be something unusual. Also the case back is just worn out, not defective or over polished. If you think the lower left area was flat, it was just because of the lighting angle, as the opening slot there is still recessed properly with its edges quite sharp.

@hoipolloi The situation with onyx markers is interesting but I think it's more fluid and depends on targeted markets than cut and dry like that. I've got a 561 in 24.3mil and a 551 also in 24.3mil, and both still have onyx markers, while other 564s in 25mil have painted markers. But in other references like 168.024 and 168.025 that only have cal. 564, many of them still have onyx markers, and they are in 26-28mil range. Unless there is an authoritative source, I think it is at best a guess as to when they stopped putting onyx on the dials.

donkii likes this.
  7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 14, 2015

TNT

We are talking about 005 here.

8. ketiljo Mar 14, 2015

It's 24451xxx, with onyx markers.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 14, 2015

I pretty much agree with that, which is why I didn't mention it.

Please understand that the medallion on these is recessed. That means normal wear shouldn't affect the stars if they were sharp in the first place. Wearing the watch isn't going to cause that type of fuzziness, since the wrist isn't going to be touching those innermost stars. The fact that I've seen very few poorly struck medallions on these watches tells me that there is something else going on here.

What it is, I really don't know. But I don't like it.

I agree with this also. In addition, I have a real hard time distinguishing the onyx and painted markers from even detailed photographs. I own a 168.025 and you have to look at it with a loupe to see that the markers are painted, not onyx. The 168.025 examples with two tone dials have onyx markers.

My point is that for the price of this watch, there should be no questions being asked like the ones above.
    gatorcpa

ketiljo, ChrisN and donkii like this.
  10. TNTwatch Mar 14, 2015

I'm sure you know it. I just tried to provide some explanation to @donkii.

I actually found quite a few worn out stars like that, on the stainless steel back. And because those two inner stars are the smallest they're usually the most worn out.
    (PS: I don't like it either and I'm not buying it.)

I've found that looking at the markers from an angle instead of straight on, I can better differentiate between onyx and painted ones. The painted ones are usually just a thin layer of paint, while the onyx ones are a block of stone of some shape.

The Constellation 168.005 is in a higher class, more expensive than the Seamaster 168.024 and I don't think the lesser one would have more expensive furniture while the higher one would not. It's possible that they stopped or changed the markers on the 005 for a while and then added it back on later, maybe around 26mil like in the OP's watch, just about the same time the 024 & 025 were introduced. Or they may have done it for some markets, or according to demands only.

Edited Mar 14, 2015
  11. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 14, 2015

Please don't assume anything here. I have been digging into this matter 5 years ago not today.

and clearly that pristine 564 does not match the case back condition.

12. TNTwatch Mar 14, 2015

I do not assuming anything, just observe and speculate actually. I've already read a lot of your observation also, but respectfully, haven't found it much more than personal observation and speculation. (PS: Nothing wrong with that actually, just doesn't make an authoritative source out of that.)

And the pristine movement actually matches the case and case back quite well since there is no rust spot anywhere on the case or back. How do you expect the movement should match the case back? It should also be worn out or beat up instead of being well preserved?

Edited Mar 14, 2015
  13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 14, 2015

No more free info haha

14. ChrisN Mar 14, 2015

I don't know what happened here. This has been a very informative thread for me with good information from two respected members, @hoipolloi and @TNTwatch as well as @gatorcpa . Thanks!

I do think Hoi can spot a redial at 100 paces with one eye closed and everyone seems to agree the dial is good. For me, this is not something I would buy but, it's up to the OP. Whichever way you go, good luck.

Cheers, Chris (currently working through some Jura Superstition, Lynyrd Skynyrd on the TT, and now in a good mood after losing a movement piece earlier today)

15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 14, 2015

fascinating to go through this. truly experts at work directing this watch.!!