Forums Latest Members
  1. donkii Mar 13, 2015

Hi,
    I've had a few Pie-Pans in the past but I'm guessing iv'e been lucky with them since my knowledge regarding these pieces is quite bad to say the least.

However, a member from another forum has offered me a 168.005 wish is stated to be in untouched condition. My knowledge is modest to say the least so therefore I'm asking you guys for some help.

The watch is recently serviced, sells head only. The seller says it's all original with correct crown and so on.. The case looks untouched to me but what do I know :) The watch is recently serviced and yeah, that's pretty much it.

Price offered is 1570usd. Is it a go or no go? Do you guys see anything out of the ordinary? The dial I think is to die for ;)

Thanks in advance.
    Daniel

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

2. ChrisN Mar 13, 2015

I am sure one of the experts will be along to give you a better insight but, I don't like the polished case back as you have lost some stars.

I thought the dial looked fine, even with the wonky star but it is hard to tell with the resolution of the camera lens being used so am no longer sure. Here is a picture of my 168.004. Look at the font shape and delicacy in the 'Certified' and compare to yours as well as the flat tops on the 'M's. I've made the image very big to make it easier. There is a second hand, it's just a very long exposure.
    Con 561 dial.jpg

Anyway, I have real problems saying either way with dials so, wait for someone really in the know. Movement looks nice and the timegrapher reading looks fine as well, for the one position shown.
    Hope this helps (at least it's a bump to the top of the forum;)).
    Chris

donkii likes this.
  3. TNTwatch Mar 13, 2015

Dial and movement look beautiful. Just the case is a bit rough and the back is worn out; the crown is original and old so likely not sealing anymore. Buy it if you're OK with the case's condition.

donkii likes this.
  4. ketiljo Mar 13, 2015

I don't like that star, and the writing seems too thick. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a redial. Wait for the experts opinion before you pull the trigger.

donkii likes this.
  5. TNTwatch Mar 13, 2015

The dial is fine. The star is no more wonky than the one on ChisN's watch.

donkii likes this.
  6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 13, 2015

I like to see a close up where the crosshair cuts the Constellation, the serial # of that 564 movement is important, too.

https://flic.kr/p/9D2Hrh

donkii likes this.
  7. Hijak Mar 13, 2015

If that's a redial its a damn good one.

donkii likes this.
  8. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 13, 2015

Anything that has crosshair+564+black onyx inserts needs to be inspected carefully.

donkii likes this.
  9. TNTwatch Mar 13, 2015

Ideally, bigger and clear pictures are a must and normally it's kinda gamble with borderline small pictures like these, but the first picture answers Hoi's question quite fine and the 4th picture does the same to ChrisN's question on the letters just fine also.

However, movement's serial is still needed to have the full answer on this watch, even though I do not see anything questionable so far.

donkii likes this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 13, 2015

I'm thinking at that price level, there should be no questions on a watch like this. Could be all good, could be a redial.

I'm thinking that one could do better for less, or much better for a little more.

Have some doubts about this dial, but would need to see it up close and personal.
    gatorcpa

P.S. - This one is not perfect, but my guess is that it will go for a lot less then the steel one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Automatic-Chronometer-Officialy-Certified-Constellation-/151616836327Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Edited Mar 13, 2015
    donkii likes this.
  11. donkii Mar 14, 2015

Thanks for all your answers. Much appreciated. Tricky thing with these vintage pieces.
    If i look at the picture @hoipolloi posted, the text on the dial is much thinner and sharper then the object I've posted. Don't know if that means anything or so. Regarding the caseback being worn, yes, but that does not bother me much, kinda fun that the watch has been worn for regular basis, my opinion is that the caseback has been worn out and not polished.

For me, these pieces looks the best in steel, but thanks anyway for the heads up on eBay @gatorcpa :)

With all re-issues coming from all manufacturers, do you think that there will be a re-issue on these Connies? If so, will the value of these older pieces get even higher?

Thanks to all of you guys helping me out :)

Edited Mar 14, 2015
  12. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 14, 2015

One more thing you should check is the serial number of the movement. It has to be in 24 mil range

imexian and donkii like this.
  13. donkii Mar 14, 2015

The serial number on the movement is 268xxxxx @hoipolloi

I've gotten some better pictures @TNTwatch

Connie kopia 3.jpg Connie kopia 4.jpg Connie kopia 2.jpg Connie kopia.jpg Connie kopia 5.jpg Connie kopia 6.jpg connie2 kopia.jpg connie2 kopia 2.jpg connie2 kopia 3.jpg

This dial is a redial and the typing I think look a lot like the one above. What also makes me almost believe that the watch I'm asking about could be a redial is the thickness of the crosshair. If I look at some other crosshair dials. The crosshair is thin and there is some space between the crosshair and the L in Constellation, that space is almost none on the example I'm about to buy.. or was..

Redial
    [​IMG]

Edited Mar 14, 2015
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 14, 2015

This is a tough one. The printing on the dial looks OK in the closeups, yet the fact that the star and the Ω are off troubles me.

The caseback issues also trouble me. That's not normal wear, as the medallion on that caseback is correctly recessed. To do that, either there was a manufacturing defect or someone went a little crazy with the polishing disc. I tend to think the latter, but anything is possible.

Movement is in very good condition, and I think that a 26M serial number is just right for a later cal. 564 model.
    gatorcpa

15. donkii Mar 14, 2015

From original post:
    Connie kopia 6.jpg

Authentic:
    Sälj1 kopia.JPG
    sam_0533 kopia.jpg
    5669898998_0dddee1557_b kopia.jpg

From original post:
    Connie kopia 5.jpg

Authentic:
    Sälj1 kopia 2.JPG
    sam_0533 kopia 2.jpg
    5669898998_0dddee1557_b kopia 2.jpg

16. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 14, 2015

The dial looks original to me but the movement is not.
    Right at 24 mil range Omega changed black onyx inserts to black paint.
    Original movement may be a 561 in 22 or 23 mil range....? Not 26mil....(a 564 in 24 mil range is nice)

pitpro likes this.
  17. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 14, 2015

2015-03-14_11-04-07.jpg 2015-03-14_11-04-44.jpg

This 168005 is powered by a 564 in 24 mil range and the markers were painted black (not black onyx inserts anymore)

pitpro likes this.
  18. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 14, 2015

so hoi, can a 168.005 have a 564 and black onyx inserts?

19. ChrisN Mar 14, 2015

Even without the nod from two accomplished experts, @gatorcpa and @hoipolloi, your new photos show that the text looks fine and it appears to be an original dial. I think @MSNWatch, for example, always takes really detailed photos of any watch he sells and this just shows to me how important that is.

I wouldn't buy it though because of the case back, a least not at that price. Here's my .004 observatory. This is not pristine but it is better than the one you are looking at:
    back.jpg

I don't know enough about the movement number issue to comment. Interesting post to keep for reference.

Cheers, Chris

donkii likes this.
  20. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 14, 2015

Yes but quite rare. They are the last princes of a golden era.

@ Chris.
    Yours is a 168005 not 004

Arnout and pitpro like this.