Solar eclipse 2024 in North America

We rose to cloud cover this morning and so far it remains.
Yep, same thing here in central TX. Doesn't really matter to me, one way or the other it will get dark for 4 1/2 minutes this afternoon. Then we can move on from this often foolish eclipse frenzy.

Same here, but it is supposed to clear up before the eclipse.

Yep, same thing here in central TX. Doesn't really matter to me, one way or the other it will get dark for 4 1/2 minutes this afternoon. Then we can move on from this often foolish eclipse frenzy.

I would be interested in witnessing a full eclipse in a clear sky, but not much interested if clouds obscure it. And, yes we are heartily tired of the hype and hoopla that began last Thursday here.

April and May are our two wettest months in this region. It might be a bit grasping to hype a celestial event for monetary gain that depends on clear skies for a view.

Here’s the question that struck me this morning. Does one wear a Moonwatch or a Constellation today for the event? Both the moon and our star are involved so it’s a tough call. I think the Constellation may win out since it is a solar eclipse after all. I guess the easy answer is both.

Here’s the question that struck me this morning. Does one wear a Moonwatch or a Constellation today for the event? Both the moon and our star are involved so it’s a tough call. I think the Constellation may win out since it is a solar eclipse after all. I guess the easy answer is both.

Unless you are the One Armed Man from The Fugitive, pretty simple solution.

Great question! I went with a speedy. But this reminds to pick up a constellation before the next CONUS eclipse in 2045.

Update: it's a little cloudy in upstate NY but at least there's carnival food 😁

Edited:

Great question! I went with a speedy. But this reminds to pick up a constellation before the next CONUS eclipse in 2045.

I have my moonphase Speedy ready!

Generally cloudy here in TX but the sun played peek-a-boo and the full eclipse was visible for about 10 seconds, so not a total loss. But being cloudy it really got dark, really fast.
Edited:

It delivered in Austin. Clouds broke overhead. Street lights came on, we could see stars. Super cool!

That was cool! Post Diamond.. birds are celebrating

Well, it was a bust here in Central NJ. Blue skies all day until eclipse time and full cloud cover moved in. I did get out early and see a sliver covered up before the clouds fully moved in. It did cool off and got just dark enough for the street lights to come on for a short time. Too bad.

Lucky to have clear skies on this side of the Hudson. Very cool to see. Maybe one day I'll see it at 100% totality.

Clear skies. But only a little less than 60% coverage.

Photos were taken a bit before the “peak”.

Heavy clouds rolled in and I got grumpy for a minute, but it still looked totally bananas during totality. We just couldn't see any fine details in the corona.

At the end of the day, it blew my kid's mind, so I'm going to call that mission accomplished.

Update: couple bad pics we took before we ditched the phones to soak it in.

Edited: