Forums Latest Members

So what exactly is a "watch service" for a vintage watch... on expectations and truthfulness

1. Geezer Aug 24, 2019

Hi everyone,

So recently I purchased a vintage watch online (not here) from a dealer that added the following sentence to his advertisement: "Serviced and ensured to be working on point once received."

So upon receiving the watch, one of the first things I usually do is open it up to check the general condition of the movement and see if it's in need of a service (basically a check to see if the movement is clean and components have sufficient oil or grease). In this case it was pretty obvious that the movement hadn't been touched in a very long time, as it was in very good cosmetic condition, but it was completely dry in terms of the lubrication.

Of course, I approached the seller with my complaint about the lack of a service. His answer was that "the watch was also serviced mainly for time-keeping" whatever that means...

I have to say first of all that this is the first time ever that I've bought a vintage watch from a professional dealer, and it could very well mean that I am a little naive. Most of the watches I buy are from private sellers and I usually expect the watch movement will need some TLC.

So after disagreeing with him on his definition and challenging him on the truthfulness in his advertising he added the following:

"The service performed was to ensure time-keeping, meaning the watch was inspected to see if there were any faulty pieces etc. to be replaced that would harm the movement. We understand you were expecting a fully lubed up, restored movement, but do understand there was no dishonesty here. This piece was serviced by an in-house watchmaker to ensure time keeping. "Fully functional and serviced about 8 months ago in-house to ensure time keeping" A service doesn't technically mean the full treatment, especially from in-house watchmakers unless stated to do so. The only people who would do such without questioning would be Zenith themselves for an uncharged price, but of course it is service from a certified Zenith location."

In the end, it is not a big deal. But I was curious how others who frequently purchase vintage watches look at this. What are your expectations when you buy a watch from a dealer? Do you expect it to be serviced and what exactly does that entail?

I think at least for most current watch companies that sell mechanical watches, a service would include a complete disassembly, oiling of the components, and possibly timing adjustments. And replacement of worn components (for free other invoiced depending on the company).

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Zdzislaw likes this.
  2. Walrus Aug 24, 2019

Sounds misleading to me. We all know what to expect with the word serviced. I would suggest he change his verbiage as now you need to spend additional funds on the real service

pseikotick, DaveK, shishy and 5 others like this.
  3. jud Aug 24, 2019

I have quit purchasing from dealers unless new. If they say unpolished, it's only been on the wheel once. If they say serviced it means they sprayed some WD-40 after they opened it up. If they say all original that means it's a different authentic dial than originally delivered. If they say box and papers, better make sure they match the serial on your watch.

The eye opening discussion for me was taking a watchmaker to lunch after I dropped off a watch to be serviced. He told me stories that made my skin crawl. He does work for a number of dealers in the Atlanta area.

pseikotick, mcnuonuo, kkt and 3 others like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 24, 2019

Who’s the dealer, no use protecting him for he’s dishonest dealings.

Serviced means serviced

I would send it back on principle

Can you show us the watch so to see if there is anything else a miss

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 24, 2019

Sadly, bullshit like this is what often gives dealers a bad name.

6. squarelug Aug 24, 2019

Please share some of said stories!?!

DaveK likes this.
  7. Braindrain Aug 24, 2019

Yeah, fraudulent advertising. Serviced means full service. If not, then don't say it.

Zdzislaw likes this.
  8. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 24, 2019

Unless I see concrete written proof that a watch has been serviced I assume it hasn’t. Sellers lie, it looks like yours is a liar too. Sometimes you get lucky and the watch is actually healthy but it’s best to assume the worst.

Edited Aug 24, 2019
    Zdzislaw and MRC like this.
  9. ConElPueblo Aug 24, 2019

So who is the dealer? He wouldn't be Vienna-based, would he? ;)

mcnuonuo, George.A, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  10. Dan S Aug 24, 2019

Dishonest listing IMO, and a lot of BS on the back-end.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  11. henrikaa Aug 24, 2019

Personally I do not place any value in a watch listed as “serviced” unless it has the papers (invoice etc) to prove it has been done recently.

12. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 24, 2019

No, "serviced" means serviced, not "full service" Now, I agree that "serviced" can mean different things to different people, and we could probably get close to what would be the minimum actions taken to constitute a "service", but on the other hand, just how far would you expect a "service" to go. A basic inspection and cleaning/(competent) lube? A full Archer strip down/rebuild? An Omega full strip down/refurb/restore and rebuild?

I think the wording "Serviced and ensured to be working on point once received." should have been queried prior to buying - to me, it tells virtually nothing of substance. But I suppose it's easy to be wise after the event.

Caveat Emptor.

Zdzislaw and blufinz52 like this.
  13. KingCrouchy Aug 24, 2019

For me it sounds like the classical dishonest Dealer BS I heard far to many times. Another well seen line is: "Was inspected by our Watchmaker". So what, maybe he found out half the parts are fried, but it was inspected.:whipped:

14. TIMElyBehaviour Aug 24, 2019

dishonesty. he should have mentioned how far he went. if it wasn't re-oiled who's to say it wouldn't break in a few months?

name and shame. protect the rest of the community.

Lonestar and Zdzislaw like this.
  15. MCC Aug 24, 2019

In my view good dealers will tell you who did the service and what recourse you have if the watch malfunctions. I would pay a slight premium for this. In the absence of this back up I assume every watch is unserviced.

Zdzislaw likes this.
  16. Henneth Aug 24, 2019

Even if the watch was serviced you probably don’t know if it was done by a competent watchmaker or a monkey. Thus, the term “serviced” would be more or less irrelevant to me...

17. Rochete Aug 24, 2019

FIFY

kkt and Zdzislaw like this.
  18. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 24, 2019

Yes I have personally sampled some of the retired watchmaker wares. He was likely sacked for being shit at his job or more likely never had anything to do with Omega in the first place.

Spacefruit and Zdzislaw like this.
  19. Lurk41 Aug 24, 2019

A service is a service. Like when you service a car. Your mechanic will never say to you "Yeah we serviced it: it starts, it turns, it brakes. No idea about the oil, filters, brake pad, etc. But you should be able to get it out of our garage :thumbsup:"

At least a service includes cleaning, replacing faulty parts in the movement and oiling.

scapa, DaveK, Lonestar and 2 others like this.
  20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 24, 2019

Some places do service and offer a one year warranty. Even then I’d be skeptical....I prefer as is, no warrantee implied. I’ll let my watchmaker sort it.

Zdzislaw likes this.