Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 20, 2019

OOOooo... that sounds like fun. I love rifles best of all.

I'd have to get a rifle and gear that would let me play at that game. Then I'd have to practice a lot.

voere likes this.
  2. larryganz The cable guy Aug 20, 2019

My PM9 is close to 15 years old (or more), having bought one of the first ones. Soon after my purchase they had a barrel recall for feed ramp re-design, and my example didn't feed Corbon 115gr +p+ back then, but it's been 100% reliable since the new barrel.

noelekal and voere like this.
  3. Mtek Aug 20, 2019

I handled several over a period of days, The D Wesson had the best fit and finish. Gotta say though, there’s something about a Colt Delta that has the “it” factor my 10mm doesn’t.

Some fit/finish pics after beak in.

2E8A1061-ECCD-4BE9-A673-9C170A684B5A.jpeg C2A766EE-71C3-4870-9482-9A0D6A96C18A.jpeg 59EA6ADD-9D1F-44B8-8D19-AD6FB7D23D1C.jpeg C5A5BEAF-2DEB-4C34-8700-3AB4AB6A9A93.jpeg

4. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 20, 2019

Colt makes a fine 10mm through the years I have owned a few 10mm from various makers S&W, EAA Witness Glock

I’m looking for a 10mm that won’t break the bank so far Dan Wesson fits that criteria. I Really like the Wilson combat classic however for my needs that is priced on the high side for 10mm pistols.

Next year I’m going to Alaska on a hunting trip. I figure 10mm pistol will serve me better than the Model 29 I use now. I’ll carry the 10mm to use as a last resort against bears.

I want to get very proficient and gain some faith in the pistol before the trip. I don’t want to find out in the field on the hunting trip the pistol I choose has issues.

Waltesefalcon and noelekal like this.
  5. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 20, 2019

Kahr makes a nice pistol. The PM9 is a fine pistol. I purchased the K9 in the picture in 1998 the K9 served me well. I never really did anything to the pistol other than a recoil spring change and installed some black grips screws from a 1911. Last night I ordered some parts from Kahr trigger pivot pin, trigger spring and bushing.

Just in case I refinish the pistol I’ll have the parts on hand. From what I understand the trigger pivot pin is hard to remove. However, after a good detailed clean up along with a very gentle wipe down wipe with metal polish and an old T shirt the K9 cleaned up great.

Mtek likes this.
  6. larryganz The cable guy Aug 20, 2019

I'm not sure I would mess with it until it needs to be refinished or repaired. With my PM9, I owned it while I was in my last house, and I could have sworn that it was closer to 20 years old, but my research says that they started production in 2004. So mine probably dates from then, about a year before we moved, but it feels like forever.

voere likes this.
  7. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 20, 2019

That’s the best advice if it isn’t broke don’t fix it. Stainless firearms are very easy to refinish. Only minor issue is if you bead blast them the firearm has to be completely torn down. The blast media gets into every nook and cranny

8. rbird7282 Aug 20, 2019

I will say that it can be done in a budget. There are many sub-MOA bolt action rifles around for $700 or less (some much less) that can do it
    Pair it with a decent fixed power scope and you’re good to go. That was only my third time shooting over 200 yards. (First time was a long range class)
    Obviously fundamentals must be practiced (you really need to be able to shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards) and adhered to but the work really comes with trying to read the wind.

Mtek and noelekal like this.
  9. ArtVandlay Aug 21, 2019

All this large caliber talk, here’s a nice little .380 PPK/S. Been searching forever for one of these since the re-release of US made versions. Just happened across it the other day and had to grab it up, couldn’t be happier.

8482A9BD-32E3-4393-9D4F-79502ECAEA2A.jpeg

Mtek, Waltesefalcon, KeithS and 3 others like this.
  10. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Aug 21, 2019

Bond, James Bond

Mtek and ArtVandlay like this.
  11. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 21, 2019

My Son and his buddies are into long range shooting. The group of guys are very serious long-range shooters

I have been out shooting with the guys we have fun They are constantly throwing around terms like

Barometric pressure correction, humidity, temperature, latitude, ambient air, spin drift correlation, wind direction, standard atmospheric pressure, horizontal Coriolis effect etc.

They break out their calculators and do the math. These guys are shooting at ranges 1200 to 2000 plus meters. I learn a lot from them. One weekend I brought one of my long-range rigs out.

My rifle topped out at around 1450 meters. A couple guys in the group were nailing targets at 2500 to 2800 meters. Not just standard moa plate banging hitting 3x5 inch index cards that were affixed to the steel plates.

The gear they use is high end shooting and electronic stuff, I am amazed at the skill level in that group. Two of the guys are former USMC snipers and one of them is a former spotter. All of the guys in that group are former Marines the group of young guys is impressive they make me look like an amateur shooter.I have fun with them they like to dog me because I was former Navy

One of them asked me MR. Voere how far do you plan on shooting today. I told him if I hit my targets at 500 to 600 meters, I’ll be happy. They just laughed. They want me to join the group of shooters. I told them maybe one day. For now, I’m happy shooting at normal hunting ranges taking game at 200 to 300 meters or less.

Edited Aug 21, 2019
    The Father, Mtek and noelekal like this.
  12. KstateSkier Aug 21, 2019

What kind of holsters do you guys like to carry with? I have a few custom leather holsters for different firearms.

Just ordered a new belt, 4way (OWB/IWB) holster and mag holster for my 1911 from 1791 Gun Leather. Really pleased with the quality of the leather and craftsmanship.

IMG_1410.JPG IMG_0440.JPG IMG_9304.JPG IMG_4702.JPG

13. Mtek Aug 21, 2019

My semi custom came in. @voere I think you are right, may have to stay with the wood grips. I really like the old mixed with new school lines of this one. I’m going to see about doing another with a bobtail and in 38 super. This ones 45 acp.

Edit: @KstateSkier i use a Sparks summer special iwb. I like your set up. Smart with the sturdy belt, some don’t understand how important the belt is.

9A4EDB5D-6E1A-407E-9256-680FC9870008.jpeg
    4CC240FE-C8AC-460B-843F-5A51F09DD100.jpeg

Edited Aug 21, 2019
  14. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 22, 2019

Congrats

Beautiful 1911 I would leave the 1911 as is and shoot the hell out of it. Let your 1911 earn her keep.
    with holsters I have a few holster makers I like holsters and belts are very subjective we all have things we like or dislike in holsters. As far as belts I have a few from some top holster makers.
    The belt I use the most is from A&G custom leather. A&G offers a lot of bang for the buck. After reading the post about belts. I just put leather conditioner on a couple of my belts. Good holsters and belts are must have items.

Edited Aug 22, 2019
  15. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 23, 2019

Last night I was playing around with the apps and gear.

Hornaday ballistic app with 4dof and kestrel 5700 elite

Trying get my long range shooting up to speed. Damn I’m ten years behind with the latest tech gear.

At one time I did a lot of long-range shooting. I did not keep up with the latest gear.

I going to correct that as soon as I can. So far, I have the Hornaday app on my phone borrowed my Son’s kestrel 5700 last night I was playing around with the apps. Starting to get proficient with the gear. When I get it, all figured out I’ll see how well it works out for me. At the range I'll get all the dope I need sight in a couple rifles and hope for the best

Time will tell this weekend I’ll be out at the range getting to know the gear.
    I can already see this will be a costly proposition one thing will lead to another I will wind up with a new scope maybe new rifle etc. In for a penny in for a pound type thing

noelekal and KstateSkier like this.
  16. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 30, 2019

Finally, I’m finished with this rifle. The rifle started out as an Interarms mark X “Mauser 98 from Zastava” installed a laminated stock from a Remington 798. I never took the time to refinish the stock properly.

I had some spare time through the week and worked on the stock an hour or so per day. Now she is a done deal. First time I refinished a laminated stock it was a learning curve trial and error end result worked out fine.

20190830_121600.jpg
  17. scv55 Aug 30, 2019

My latest addition to the collection, FN SCAR 17. These are becoming harder to get your hands on nowadays, especially the Belgium made model. FN is now making the 16/17 here in the USA and roomer is the Belgian's will no longer be imported.

[​IMG]

noelekal, Professor, Mtek and 2 others like this.
  18. Mtek Aug 31, 2019

Installed some ivory Micarta on the 360pd. Looks like he wants to be like grandad one day.

43B61C30-8464-45FE-9DFF-01CC6CE3245C.jpeg

19. Mtek Sep 4, 2019

I got so lucky with this. HK USP compact 9mm in stainless are unbelievably rare, unicorn rare, they only made them years ago and go for over 1k when they do pop up. You can find a few in 40sw and some in 45acp. I search almost everyday on Gunbroker, one in the last month and my max bid was 795 and it went for over 1k.

I went in to a hole in the wall “surplus ammo” store to check out their pricing the other day on a work break. Only a half dozen used pistols on consignment, and I saw this. Perfect condition, box, and unused extra mags. Trijicons didn’t light up because of the age, but otherwise I’d say less than 100 ends down the pipe as no factory barrel wear (they are black barrels). 500 dollars, I have never purchased something so fast. One happy 2nd amendment supporter here.

Still in my waiting period pic at store...

A922FF5F-18ED-4F3C-9D97-388737C58C94.jpeg

warrydog, Mark020, voere and 3 others like this.
  20. larryganz The cable guy Sep 4, 2019

I hate you.

When I was looking for one I gave up in 2013. But then for almost the same price as those HK going for over $1000 I picked up a new Glock 19 and and FN FNS-9 with optional manual safety (which I planned to get ceracoated.)

The FN operates similarly to the HK, with a slide release and safety, and the trigger is pretty good for a striker fired weapon. Instead of a refinish on the FN I got the glock grips stippled and added a ZEV trigger.

However, now I need to read up on the possible issue with pulling the trigger when it’s out of battery and not firing, but then firing when the pistol returns to battery.

Mtek and The Father like this.