Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 28, 2012

This is a taboo topic on a couple of other forums, for whatever mis-guided reasons, so I thought I'd start a thread about it here. I know there's quite a few people out there who collect both watches and guns, so now you have a home for your discussions. Hopefully we'll get to see some nice eye-candy and interesting threads.

We only ask that you try not to discuss gun topics relating directly to politics, since it tends to create conflict where there usually wouldn't be any. There's better more-suited forums (and Facebook) for those types of discussions.

Everything from collecting, gun-smithing, sporting uses, etc, would be considered well suited to conversation on ΩF.::jumpy::

I moved to Australia 7 years ago, and unfortunately had to give up my Winchester shotgun (an antique goose gun in great shape), and the air rifles I used for plinking at home.

Along with my wife, we've finally completed all of the paperwork and testing for our 'Category A/B', which licenses us for most rifles/shotguns in Australia (no semi-auto). I'd been putting it off for quite a while since it's a big pain in the ass to complete. We're both members of the SSAA, which is basically Australia's version of the NRA.

It's long-range shooting which interests me the most. I'd like to build a nice setup and join a local range sometime soon. I'd also really like to get in to hunting, I just don't know anyone who's interested enough to join me.

If I were go on a shopping spree today without any budgetary restrictions, I'd acquire the following goodies with the best optics I could find :D

AICS-001.jpeg IMGP1354.jpg

The DTA model (2nd shot) is tacticool overload, but I still love it since it's a modular design. You can swap calibres, all the way up to .338 Lapua.

2. ulackfocus Feb 28, 2012

.338 Lapua? What will you hunt - trucks? :eek: :p:p Too bad some of the new the .50 calibers aren't available to the public. I saw a show where they splattered a melon from 1.5 miles away. I'd ask for a Steyr from Santa for Christmas.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 28, 2012

Was actually watching a show about how Boeing transports their aircraft fuselages from Kansas to Washington, and savvy rednecks use the 737s as a moving target. Now that's a .338 Lupua appropriate enthusiast activity.

4. ulackfocus Feb 28, 2012

Never thought I'd see the word savvy used to describe rednecks. It's like jumbo shrimp - an oxymoron. :p

Yo401960, Turpinr, pnwyankee and 4 others like this.
  5. 10mmauto Feb 28, 2012

Here you go. They pulled this from another forum.
    IMG_3979.JPG

Edited Feb 17, 2024
    Trev likes this.
  6. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 28, 2012

Oh wow, awesome Bond shot :) That's classy.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Feb 28, 2012

Just possessing a silencer and those bullets (Black Talon possibly?) would land your ass in jail here in the US.

8. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 28, 2012

I think the laws must vary quite a bit from state to state. I've definitely heard people in the US legitimately owning suppressors. They're also legal to own in New Zealand. Good for shooting targets with sub-sonic ammo and not pissing off neighbours.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  9. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 28, 2012

Just these guys:

Kidding, of course...

I'd wait till they were bigger :D

SXP, Thrasher36, Etp095 and 3 others like this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 28, 2012

Go up to Hope Island and drive around after dark, they'll jump in front of the Toyota and beg you to run them over, they're like lemmings.

11. 10mmauto Feb 29, 2012

I am in the US (western NY.) The bullets are just Winchester Silvertips.

Tony, OMGRLX and watch3s like this.
  12. ulackfocus Feb 29, 2012

Thanks. With a screen name like yours it figures you'd be able to identify ammunition. ;)

Tony, ebrohman and 10mmauto like this.
  13. nsmike Feb 29, 2012

I've been thinking, that I need to sharpen my skills, and get back to the range. I used to carry conceled daily, when I was handling large sums of cash, since I'm no longer in that business I don't. Indvidual state laws vary, here in Minnesota silencers aren't permitted, even for police.

El Toro likes this.
  14. ulackfocus Feb 29, 2012

I guess I should have said "Here in NJ" instead. If you get caught with a silenced weapon in my home state the next thing the cops look for is a shovel and lime in the trunk. New Jersey, New York, and Nevada - the 3 states that start with N where the phrase "dig a hole" does not mean you're going to plant shrubbery. :eek:

NGO1, Tony, Chriswalker18 and 2 others like this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 29, 2012

And we all know you're not afraid to go to the matresses...

Yea, couldn't help myself.

16. a1watch Feb 29, 2012

How about this mailbox...

[​IMG]

mhsvz, auburn, TimeOnTarget and 19 others like this.
  17. bczolone Feb 29, 2012

Suppressors (as they are correctly called) have varied legality and under certain permits, but you can have fake ones (gutted) for looks.

I have a .338 Win Mag, but never use it because I have no idea what I'd use it for? When I do use it I use a Cabelas bench recoil pad to make it a little more bearable.

I also do all of my own reloading and love long range shooting. My best is a coyote at 586 yards.

Etp095 likes this.
  18. Spy You know my name. Feb 29, 2012

LOL! I knew this topic would pop up sooner or later. :p

The only gun I have ever pulled the trigger on was a Nerf gatling gun. It came with a belt of ammo.

As for real guns, I do not own one. I am more of a knife guy. But I do like to see the M134 minigun and GAU-8 Avenger in action. Has anyone seen Act of Valor? The action scenes were great, particularly the scene with the boat's providing cover to the SEALs through the fire power of the M134.

Buster and Flintlock like this.
  19. Spy You know my name. Feb 29, 2012

Looks good!

20. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 29, 2012

The whole "silencer" thing must come from the movies, where even the fastest, largest, most noisy round is reduced to making just a tiny <pew> <pew> noise. Meanwhile, in reality...

Mossback, noelekal, vinny and 4 others like this.