Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. ras47 Jul 2, 2019

I did the "Two-Bit Triggerjob" on my G23. No replacement parts, just some polishing with Flitz metal polish to put a mirror finish on the trigger bar and connector. Took over a pound off my trigger pull, from 5.5 lbs to just under 4.5 lbs. Smooth action too.

it's a great adjustment for experienced shooters, but not recommended for those without experience. Lighter trigger pulls are dangerous for those that do not practice safe firearms handling all the time.

voere, Mtek and noelekal like this.
  2. Mtek Jul 5, 2019

Expensive week for me, I went to go purchase a 360pd (Scandium Smith 5 shot) and spotted a Smith 27 3.5” in the case on consignment. Stunning example with nothing but a cylinder line. I looked up the serial and it’s a 1956, so I purchased after attempting to haggle.

I’m hoping you can all help. I’ve all ready sources some ivories for it, but I’m wanting this little grip adapter. I’m going to make this into a General Patton copy. Tyler T only makes larger ones. I’ve looked at the major auction sites, could use some help. Here’s a pic of Patton’s, the adapter right behind the trigger guard....

68744817-5B8C-4F02-A67F-9DB83A52FDA1.jpeg

voere, noelekal and The Father like this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 5, 2019

Oh Mtek! That would be a great little project that wouldn't hurt a thing because it could be put back to factory configuration. It'd be gratifying to configure it to mimic Patton's famous revolver.

I'd love to see photographs of your new acquisition, as you found it.

The 3 1/2-inch is so good-lookin'! Not such a commonly found Model 27 barrel length either. It was the old "FBI barrel length." Early FBI agent Jelly Brice had one too, before World War II. Brice's abilities with his Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum and .44 Special revolvers transcended any need for high-capacity automatic pistols. A colorful character he was.

[​IMG]

Not just a revolver expert. Another incidental photograph of Jelly Brice, squatting in front, in fawn colored overcoat and dark hat ... not using the AR 15.
    [​IMG]

Patton's .357 Magnum revolver was said to be an early production pre-war gun. The "Registered Magnum" was introduced in 1935. That adapter on Patton's gun was an original Smith & Wesson factory accessory and is rare. To find such an adapter today would be difficult in the extreme. There might be reproductions fabricated out there somewhere.

Of the .357 Magnum revolvers on hand, my favorite one to carry for "serious social purposes" is a 3 1/2-inch just a few years older than your 1955 gun. No Python, or even a Korth beats out an N-Frame Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum revolver in my opinion. It's the best .357 Magnum in the world!

With a good heavy gun belt, the big ol' N-Frame hunk a' iron totes most comfortably in this vintage O. F. Ball holster which roughly dates to the same era yet remains sound and supple. Shooting the revolver double-action with full-power 158 grain .357 Magnum loads is like "drivin' a Cadillac." Very accurate when shot single-action at some distance, it's a tack driver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sometimes carry it long hours doing overnight security a few times per year for some gun show promoter friends. Provides for funds for ammunition, hand loading supplies, and watch servicings and gives me opportunity to make contacts and find "real deals" on collectible vintage firearms (like the 3 1/2 inch .357 Magnum).
    [​IMG]

The Father, voere and Mtek like this.
  4. Mtek Jul 5, 2019

@noelekal I was hoping you’d chime in. I’ve always wanted a 27 in 3.5 specifically. 10 business days and I’ll share it exactly as I found it. It’s a really nice example. I normally don’t purchase anything without hunting for info, it’s what most of us enjoy...the hunt. I couldn’t help but to throw that out the window. The blue on this rivals a Python, I was sold almost immediately.

I’ll continue to look for the adapter. Google searches I found some info from yrs ago on various forums where people were discussing them. I may be out of luck, but I’ll continue to search.

I will put on some ivories, just bc the contrast looks so good and save the condition of the stockers. I got nice profiles ivories, where the rear tang still visible, and stock profile. No wrap around stuff.

Thanks for the history and info, as always. I really enjoy your posts.

noelekal likes this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 5, 2019

Thank you Mtek! I really love vintage Smith & Wesson revolvers. I ain't so smart though. I also "have the books" on the topic and have spent years observing good examples whenever encountered and gathering in all I could afford.

Mtek likes this.
  6. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jul 6, 2019

Congrats

Nice find!

Good luck finding an original S&W grip adapter. Price wise depends who has the grip adapter if the seller knows what they have the price can get rich. Last original one I seen for sale the seller wanted $1100. I offered the guy $500 no luck with my offer

Reproduction S&W grip adapters are floating around they can go for as little as $100 to what ever the buyer is willing to pay.

Nothing not to like about older S&W N frames. I’ll share my experiences with S&W grip adapters.

Keep in mind the dimensions on the frame and grip pin are slightly different between n frame prewar and post war N frame. Using the reproduction adapters on a post war N frame I had to do some Dremel and file work on the adapter to fit the frame pins. Not hard to do it just takes patience and attention to detail. Also, the inside of the grips had to be sanded to fit. On prewar N frames such as RM’s the adapter will drop fit without issues.

Edited Jul 6, 2019
    noelekal and Mtek like this.
  7. Mtek Jul 6, 2019

@voere thank you bud. I think I may skip the adapter then. Well, I may use a Tyler T. I don’t have safe queens (nothing wrong with those that do) and will use it. It’s not something I’ll try to carry or anything, but I’ll enjoy plinking with it and knowing it’s in the nightstand too.

Btw everyone, here is a pic of Patton’s signed order form:
    FF4C3CC6-5EE5-4B17-B2C6-25136206C7C7.jpeg

voere and noelekal like this.
  8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 6, 2019

Great to see the order.

My mother was two months old when Patton ordered the gun.

Mtek likes this.
  9. Mtek Jul 6, 2019

@noelekal I’ll tell you a funny story here. I was stationed in Izmir Turkey in the early 90s for two yrs. Civilian clothes, supporting nato. We were also training Turk police on how to use LE techniques (batons, holds, etc). All of them had issued CZs, illegal for citizens to own other than shotguns. The Chief of Police there used a nickel 6” 27 with ivories. Lol. I don’t even know how he obtained rounds for it. He wore his duty belt old west style, basically belt drooped to the point it was like a thigh holster. Good times.

noelekal likes this.
  10. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jul 7, 2019

Here is a good read on Jelly Bryce The guy was a great shooter As my Grandson would say the man has crazy mad skills

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/957612/posts

Mtek and noelekal like this.
  11. Mtek Jul 11, 2019

@voere Saw your thread on some in-law issues. Hope it’s going well. Wanted to post a pic to give you a smile, but in this thread as it’s firearm related.

F5AED2C9-D5D0-4F87-9B67-41C5F2467B4E.jpeg

noelekal and voere like this.
  12. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jul 12, 2019

That made me smile don't give me any ideas. Those are some really short barrels.

13. Professor Jul 12, 2019

Remembering a previous discussion on the .41 caliber revolvers, here's a Cold War era Swiss made suppressed rifle chambered for the .41 Remington Magnum revolver cartridge .

Mtek, noelekal and voere like this.
  14. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 13, 2019

Sitting here doing all night security duty for gun show promoter friends and reading about neato and unique .41 Magnum Swiss made rifles and to think I read it first on OmegaForums. Never heard of the gun, Professor.

Professor, Mtek and voere like this.
  15. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jul 13, 2019

Lucky you being able to have first shot at the goodies! Sounds like a great gig.

Edited Jul 13, 2019
  16. Mtek Jul 16, 2019

A bit of a range report on my first Tupperware pistol. I love it! Guys, the trigger da is nothing to write home about, sa is awesome...but the reset, ugh insane, one could dump an 18 rnd mag in seconds.

My USP is the “expert” model. Nice all black (my preference) adjustable sights. It’s certainly not a ccw as it’s large (5.25” barrel”), so I ordered a small version of it today. I’ll have them drop in the same exact hk expert trigger it it. I really like this thing.

Used the expensive +P ends just to test reliability.

6E12FF14-A1CA-4A1F-9D1F-6BE8308C4B8C.jpeg 2A158E00-78A8-46C7-88E0-28CD0EBE6F2E.jpeg A0E38E3E-6858-46A1-8AA2-5065433559AC.jpeg

17. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jul 16, 2019

18. Mtek Jul 16, 2019

@voere thank you, really happy with it. I don’t get the awesome tactile feel of closing the cylinder on a nice revolver but I can certainly see why these types have taken over. No buyers remorse at all.

I got a call I can come pick up that vintage N frame I found, but it’s 100 mile round trip so may be a while before I can get it. I’m really looking forward to that one too.

noelekal, The Father and voere like this.
  19. Speedmasterfan88 Jul 17, 2019

Never posted here before but was reading all along.
    As I live in Germany, access to firearms is highly restricted and open range days are not a common thing.
    So when the owner of the shop I work with said that we would participate in an annualy held company shooting competition at a local range I was thrilled, of course I attended the event.

Given that this was only the third time for me at a shooting range I was quite happy with my results. Best groups ( 4 targets of 5 shots, 50m, prone, .22 LR, with diopter sights)

68637C33-0B42-4365-9A2D-0A9D3DA30684.jpeg 30470F08-C50C-47DB-8CD6-2BD621B49C93.jpeg

I shot a 91 and a 93 and averaged out at around 89 over the day.

We also had the chance to fire some of the bigger caliber guns.
    I saw a leaver action type rifle in cal. 357 and had to shoot it. 25m Standing, off hand I shot a 49 out of 50. best result of the day and boat load of fun.

To no surprise, without practice at all, with a .45 Colt I hit jack sh*t at 25m , 13 out of 50 haha. But fun as well.

Keep the thread up, I enjoy reading you guys posts here.

Cheers,

Max

larryganz, warrydog, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  20. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jul 17, 2019

Through the years I have owned several HK’s. The light LEM trigger is my favorite. As a firearm company HK has very good customer service. I have called them several times with questions about doing some tweaks. The techs I talked with were very knowledgeable and helpful.

Mtek likes this.