Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jun 30, 2019

99FB4F1B-91F8-477B-A577-803FC248A39E.jpeg F99A0D50-169B-4B6F-97DA-2F5650B62EE9.jpeg 93E8DB03-04E6-46A4-BE38-D39C1018FE0C.jpeg About 400 miles from manufacturing sites of the Glock and Omega. Speedmaster 1991 the two Gen2 Glocks (17&19) pretty close to the same year.

scv55, voere, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  2. ras47 Jun 30, 2019

I love Glocks. Mine is the green/black G23 (Gen3) in .40 S&W, but I have a Lone Wolf conversion barrel for 9mm and some G19 magazines. I put blue base plates on the G19 mags for easy identification.

GlockArmorer.jpg GSSF.jpg

larryganz likes this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 30, 2019

Being the old fogy of the OmegaForums firearms thread, I cannot say that I am much enamored of Glocks. I actually bought one some years ago just so I could better learn why I don't care for them ... and I did.
    [​IMG]
    There are automatics that I admire, but these tend to be the out-of-fashion all-steel designs that many consider to be too outmoded and heavy for modern carry use. Me? I love totin' 'em. Can't really love plastic components or DAO triggers of any sort which are the two hangups I have with Glock and similar handgun models. It's sort of like quartz watches. I can justify their eminently practical nature. I just can't be interested in owning and using them.

[​IMG]
    I was having a fun plinking session with some 9mms out at our old place on the lake a while back and the Glock 17 actually choked. I gleefully got out the camera and recorded the "perfection" of its failure to extract. To be fair this is the only functional failure it's ever exhibited and this with cheap-o Winchester White Box ammunition. It's certainly not the only automatic to have ever misbehaved here. A certain Colt Series 70 Gold Cup has been known to choke and hark on substandard ammunition that gave it indigestion.

[​IMG]
    I have an Austrian friend who is a shooter and who gave me a souvenir Glock sign while we were on a visit to his home in Altmunster. The sign has an honored place on the wall in the gun room.

I'm grateful for Glock though, for its fan base furthers the cause of responsible firearms ownership of a generation of shooters in America. Glocks are great ... for someone else.

voere, Mtek, ras47 and 2 others like this.
  4. pnwyankee Jul 1, 2019

Nope, no interest here.

5. ras47 Jul 1, 2019

I do love the venerable M1911. That's the pistol on which I learned to shoot, in our back yard with my father.

"Why do you carry a .45?"
    "Because they don't make a .46."

"That's a relatively low-capacity pistol. 6+1 is HALF of what modern pistols hold."
    "7 rounds are 6 more than I need."

Gotta love that old-timer wisdom! :)

noelekal and MikiJ like this.
  6. ras47 Jul 1, 2019

Folks frequently ask me what's the best pistol to own. I tell them it's the one that suits you best. Accuracy trumps caliber. The one thing I insist on is that anyone buying a firearm for home defense commits to practicing with that firearm. If you're not going to get familiar with your weapon and reach at least a basic level of competency with it, you're better off not having one at all.

noelekal, Mtek and MikiJ like this.
  7. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jul 1, 2019

`Might I be the "old timer" you quoted here?

8. Mtek Jul 1, 2019

How well does the 1911 design work with 9mm? I’d consider one in this caliber, but I know it was designed for a .45 round.

9. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 1, 2019

I'm just getting to know the 1911-gun in 9mm, but it's a lot of fun and has yet to misbehave. I've only had it out at the range twice so haven't a lot of experience with it. I chose a high-condition nearly 40-year-old Colt Series 70 Government Model. I enjoy shooting it. Don't see me carrying it though with .45 ACP and 10mm on hand.

[​IMG]

voere and Mtek like this.
  10. Mtek Jul 1, 2019

@noelekal thank you. I’m really in a dilemma, nothing serious just want a new toy. I went in to look at a high cap polymer 9mm and saw a brand new Dan Wesson 1911 in 9mm. Case hardened frame, blue slide, bone grips. It’s beautiful and I want it badly, yet it’s totally diff than what I had planned to buy. I’ve even started shopping them for prices online. It’s the “Valor” model in a limited run. I’m going to give myself 24 hrs on it. Btw, this wouldn’t be a ccw pistol or anything.

noelekal likes this.
  11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 1, 2019

This 9mm Government Model was acquired to be a toy first and foremost. I like shooting it as well as I do the High Power. It possesses a better trigger than the High Power. Too early to tell, but accuracy may be better than the High Power. There are .45 caliber Colt Government Models on hand for "serious social purposes" and a 10mm as well.

Those Dan Wesson 1911s are taking the firearms forum world by storm. Everyone raves about them, both their quality and their value. I've not played with one yet. That would be really branching out for me to add a new 1911-gun that didn't have a prancing pony on it.

Mtek likes this.
  12. Mtek Jul 1, 2019

The DWs are nice, from my brief impression today. You know, I had a colt commander modded years ago...were talking thousands into it. John Harrison did it and his backlog is around 3 yrs now. The thing is, once I received it back, it’s like the soul was gone. No longer a Colt. I sold it and didn’t lose a dime as people didn’t want to wait. The DW I can leave stock and enjoy it.

noelekal likes this.
  13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 1, 2019

Part of my old fogy-ism is to enjoy most of my guns in stock form. I've always been reluctant to modify or customize. John Harrison is the man on practical custom work and his parts catalog is of good quality as well.

Purchased a 1967 vintage Colt Government Model some years back that was nice as could be, but the pawn shop who sold it to me, from out of an estate accumulation of Colt 1911 guns that they were marketing, had dropped it onto a concrete floor right on its factory sights which smushed them, the only damage done to the nice Colt. I agonized over whether to replace the damaged sights with factory ones or go with something a bit more visible. Considering my increasing need for shooting glasses with correction, I opted to go with some Harrison Retro sights. They don't appear factory, but they are sure nice at the range.

Mtek likes this.
  14. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 1, 2019

A7103B44-A501-4FC9-B970-9049E6F5CE0D.jpeg Damn, if I didn’t have a truckload of guns and felt like almost $3K was worth it, this 9mm Wilson Combat 911 would be in my arsenal. Nothing old about 911 handguns. Those steel guns make my pants sag too much. You guys......your makin me wanna get my 911 out of the case. Needs some pearl grips. Maybe some nice wood grips. Will need some 45 ammo too. I really don’t have a truckload of guns, I lost them all in the storm when I had them out on the lake one day.
    View attachment upload_2019-7-1_17-38-28.jpeg
    4A6760F9-3A60-46F5-AE09-959DA89AA272.jpeg

Edited Jul 1, 2019
    voere, noelekal and Mtek like this.
  15. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 1, 2019

How old do you need to be to be a “fogey”?

Edited Jul 1, 2019
    Mtek likes this.
  16. Mtek Jul 1, 2019

Well fellas, I went back. The 1911 gave me an emotional attachment, but I just purchased my first polymer (have to wait 10 days). I got an HK USP in 9mm. The counter guy was carrying one, broke it down for me, way easier than the 1911. Dry firing, the trigger isn’t as good as the DW.

Strange, even the mags are plastic. Never thought I’d see “Made in Germany” stamped into plastic magazines.

I’ll be sure to post a pick in a couple weeks.

voere, larryganz and noelekal like this.
  17. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 1, 2019

Perhaps it's less an age and more a state of mind.

Shooting report with photos is called for.

Mtek likes this.
  18. larryganz The cable guy Jul 2, 2019

Where do you keep yours?

Mtek likes this.
  19. larryganz The cable guy Jul 2, 2019

Wow! What's with the 10 day wait BS in these days of an instant background check? What if you needed it now for protection after being threatened, or your circumstances put you into a more dangerous neighborhood? Do you just buy an illegal throw down gun (pepper spray, taser, knife, machete, hammer) to protect yourself until the properly bought firearm with instant background check is clear to leave the store 10 days later?

Getting back to Glocks, my nightstand pistol is typically my G23 with a Lone Wolf threaded 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags, with AAC EVO-9 suppressor, Streamlight TLR-1, stock night sights and Crimson Trace laser grips. It's been 100% reliable since 2007, but in order to not take it out of the house where my wife might need it, I bought a G19 for carry and target practice.

If I can get to this firearm 1st in case of emergency, in my push button lock nightstand safe, then I can save our hearing in the event that I must fire indoors. My AR-15 is suppressed but is now stored in the big safe instead of under my bed.

Sometimes it's my Sig P229 Scorpion with the threaded barrel and suppressor, and stock night sights and TLR-1 light but no laser, if I need to take the G23 out of the house. I was lucky to find a rare 1/2x28 Sig brand barrel, so I don't have to change out the nielson device (piston) on the suppressor when moving it back and forth between the two pistols. I'm more accurate with the Sig 229 at the shooting range, but the change from double action first shot to single action on the rest of the shots is still unsettling to me.

I used to have 5 Glocks in the most popular calibers (9, 10, 357 Sig, 40, 45), but over the years I narrowed down to just 9mm to keep it simple, hence the conversion barrel. I also bought a 22LR conversion kit with threaded barrel from Advanced Armament which works with both of my pistol suppressors, but my Gemtech 22LR suppressor is much much lighter and smaller than for the 9mm. I also prefer my Walther P22 if I'm shooting 22LR, especially suppressed - the whole rig is smaller and lighter.

I still love the fact that can fire three different calibers from this one pistol (G23), but I only have suppressors for 22LR and 9mm, not .40 cal. If I had bought a 40 cal suppressor instead of 9mm I could still shoot 9mm through it, although it would have been 3-4dB louder than the one I have. I sometimes think that subsonic 180gr 40 cal ammo would be more consistent in performance than subsonic 9mm ammo (I'm switching from Ranger to to 147gr HST soon).

I keep a storage case with the extra barrels, slides, and loaded magazines for all three calibers, in case I want to take it to the range for practice.

glock suppressor kit.jpg
    glock 3 caliber kit.jpg
    IMG_6126.jpeg
    IMG_6123.jpeg

My G19 concealed carry pistol has custom stippled grips, a top of the line ZEV trigger, Trijicon HD night sights, and CT laser grips. I have a threaded barrel for it just in case I want to use it as my suppressed nightstand pistol, but I keep the stock barrel in it. The tiny holster in the photo lets me carry it inside the waist on the hip or in appendix carry, but also protects the trigger if I keep it in a fanny pack (you loop the lanyard around a belt and yank the pistol out hard and fast to snap it off the trigger holster). I have a similar holster with a belt clip as well, and a nice Alessi talon holster if I so choose.

IMG_0390.jpeg
    IMG_0391.jpeg
    IMG_0392.jpeg
    IMG_0393.jpeg

But lately, after gaining some weight that makes IWB carry uncomfortable, I've been carrying a small ultralight S&W 360PD .357 snubby in a pocket holster, or a small pocket automatic such as Kahr PM9 or Sig P365. I haven't decided whether to install my Lightning Strike CNC machined striker/firing pin in the P365, to prevent the breakage that some people have seen due to the fast slide speeds causing "striker drag" on the primer. It's been flawless over the first 500 rounds.

The trigger on both of these pocket pistols is nicer than the stock Glock 43 trigger that I tried in January when I bought the Sig P365. But some Glocks have a great stock trigger out of the box (like my G23 and a 5th Gen G19 I tried at the gun club), and some have a crunchy or spongy trigger that needs to be replaced or worked on (my G19 ZEV replacement trigger is fantastic).

Edited Jul 2, 2019
    The Father, voere, Mtek and 1 other person like this.
  20. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jul 2, 2019

It took a long time for me to warm up to Tupperware type firearms. I’m not really into collecting them. As far as collectability I keep that limited to Colt’s, S&W’s and a few other makers. For a firearm for self defense I have no issues with Tupperware type handguns. I carry either one of these between the Glock or H&K I’m not sure which one I like better.

Either one suits my needs. They both go bang as advertised. Both handguns are chambered in 40 cal.
    As far as the holsters the one with the talon clips gets carried the most. The H&K P2000sk and the talon clip holster are a great match up. It is a very comfortable rig to carry

The triggers in both handguns are very different. The Glock has a reworked Glock trigger it’s very nice for a Glock trigger. The H&K has the light LEM trigger which I like the LEM trigger system. It takes a while to master the LEM trigger. However, when you do the LEM trigger rocks.

20190702_113204.jpg
    Edited Jul 4, 2019
    noelekal, The Father and Mtek like this.