Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Furioso May 22, 2019

these are the best ammo prices have been in years...try bulk buys at Widener's, Natchez, etc. - lots of decent companies out there.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  2. larryganz The cable guy May 22, 2019

Try www.luckygunner.com for good prices on ammo, and some they have even done ballistics gel testing on.
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/#357mag

I bought many different reliable defense ammo for a better price than what you are showing us (except for their Gold Dot short barrel is $1.35/round). For example:

Your 110gr FTX in .38 spl as seen above is 81 cents a round:
    https://www.luckygunner.com/38-special-p-110-ftx-hornady-250-rounds

This 125gr Blackhills .38 spl ammo runs 1050fps and close to 9mm ballistics at 73 cents/round:
    https://www.luckygunner.com/38-special-p-125-grain-jhp-black-hills-ammunition-50-rounds#info

This Federal HST will out perform both of those from a 2" barrel for 95 cents a round (up to $1/round in boxes of 20)
    https://www.luckygunner.com/38-special-p-130-gr-hst-jhp-personal-defense-micro-federal-200-rounds

I personally bought 357 Mag - 158 gr SJHP Remington HTP 50 Rounds for $26.75 @ 53.5 cents/round, and this had very good gel testing for expansion and 14" penetration.
    https://www.luckygunner.com/357-mag-158-gr-sjhp-remington-htp-50-rounds

While Remington 125gr SJHP is 52 cents a round (this was law enforcement choice for a while, more explosive with less than 12" penetration in 2" barrels but 13" from 4" barrel)
    https://www.luckygunner.com/remington-357-magnum-ammo-50-rounds-of-125-grain-sjhp-ammunition

Golden Saber in 357 Mag is supposed to have very good expansion and 18" penetration with much less recoil, for 53 cents/round
    https://www.luckygunner.com/357-mag-125-gr-jhp-remington-golden-saber-50-rounds

This Hornady FTX that is similar to what you picked in 357 is only $22/box not $27 (88 cents a round) with good gel results in 2" and 4" barrels
    https://www.luckygunner.com/357-mag-135-gr-jhp-ftx-critical-duty-hornady-critical-duty-25-rounds

Edited May 22, 2019
    voere, Mtek and Omega-Q like this.
  3. Mtek May 22, 2019

@larryganz You’re great man, thx for taking the time. Very appreciated. Ya know, googling anymore for prices just gets me a lot of promoted businesses.

I’ll start shopping on those links you provided.

Edit: that 158 grain is pretty hot for recoil, I’ve tried it in the past and going to stay away from it.

larryganz likes this.
  4. larryganz The cable guy May 22, 2019

Lots of info to be found in general at their "Labs" site https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/ such as
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/#357mag

Personally, I only use the 158gr as "cheap" practice ammo, and carry the Barnes TAC-XP 125gr in my S&W 360PD Scandium alloy revolver. While recoil is stout it's manageable. I also have a few boxes of the Speer 135gr Gold Dot SB which is lower recoil and similar performance that I carry in my S&W 637 .38 (and have some for my 360PD .357 magnum as well).

Mtek likes this.
  5. Swissmister May 22, 2019

Apparently, even seeing the name of this thread in the "latest" list is too painful for marturx. I see words, ideas, entire paragraphs every day that I would prefer to not see. Your request to remove this thread is simply not reasonable. I fully support your right to have a strong dislike for firearms, and I would fight for your right to have that opinion and express it, but your demand that this thread be silenced is inappropriate, and you should probably avoid reading and posting in it, for the betterment of yourself and others.

Mtek likes this.
  6. Mtek May 22, 2019

There’s nothing keeping any member from creating their own watch forum with their own set of rules. This thread has survived for 7 yrs in this community, it’s been a non issue until recently.

7. Swissmister May 22, 2019

He's just fortunate to be protesting in a thread where he isn't savaged by those with little or no tolerance for members with differing opinions. In fact, it speaks highly of the gun/watch contingent that they have been quite patient and understanding with Marturx. As Uncle Sam might say, "Your actions reflect credit upon yourselves, your units, and the United States ________." Something like that. It's been awhile.

8. larryganz The cable guy May 22, 2019

There's been 18 posts since his last, and we're still talking about him? So, moving on to some helpful advise.

1) Everyone be sure to not just clean your guns regularly, but inspect them for loose parts as well. The cylinder release fell off my S&W 360 PD snub nose revolver while loading it today. Apparently shooting full power loads has caused the screw to work loose over time. Fortunately even if the parts had not been found on the floor, the design allows you to slide the screw mounting post in order to open the cylinder, so it wouldn't render the firearm un-loadable.

2) Everyone be sure to test ALL of your magazines before you rely on them for self defense, so you aren't caught off guard by a failure to operate due to a bad magazine (failure to feed, failure to lock back). Saturday we went to break in my Sig P365 with another 250 rounds, to get past 500 rounds total, and made sure to try all 4 of my magazines - 2x ten rounds and 2x twelve rounds (4 mags total).

Previously I shot 275 rounds through both 10 round mags that came with it, without a failure, but I didn't have the 12 rounders yet to try out at the time. I carry a Kahr PM9 until I can trust the Sig for EDC. I wanted to see 500 rounds through it without a failure first. Three of the magazines functioned flawlessly, but the feed lip on one of the 12 rounders is slightly different near the slide stop vs the other 3 magazines, and it was often causing a round to nose-dive into the feed ramp and cause a FTF. Going back to any of the previous magazines fixed the issue - the 3 good mags have identical feed lips that are different from the bad one.

The gun club is going to lock tight the screw for me tomorrow, and also replace the magazine for me.

noelekal, Mtek and The Father like this.
  9. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since May 22, 2019

I find your first directive very offensive. Clean my guns? He who may remain nameless may have a point. Clean my guns......damn, where are the moderators.

propervinyl and Mtek like this.
  10. larryganz The cable guy May 22, 2019

image.png

noelekal likes this.
  11. propervinyl May 22, 2019

Military is considering the 6.5 creedmoor as a replacement/supplement to 7.62 in certain rifles like DMR's because of its accuracy at very long range. I think best case scenario, we are looking at 6.5 coming down in cost similar to 308, which isnt super cheap unless you are buying something like lake city.

I recently shot an Aeroprecision AR 10 in 6.5 at a 500 yard range and really enjoyed it.

Omega-Q likes this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 22, 2019

One of the key reasons this is allowed here is that Omega are a key sponsor of the Bond franchise and use firearms, including gun shaped hands, and bullet / barrel themed rotors and casebacks as part of their marketing, and also sponsor the Olympics which includes competitive shooting. We allow firearms discussion for the appreciation of the craft, engineering and workmanship as well as the competitive skill aspect, we don't allow gun politics on either side as it invariably turns into a mess.

13. Omegafanman May 23, 2019

Interest yes….And I held a full firearms licence in the past... But I am afraid options are very limited in the UK nowadays :0)

P1280113 - Copy.JPG
    voere, noelekal, Mtek and 1 other person like this.
  14. mmrols May 23, 2019

I am offendes that you're offended. I've been triggered and now my week has been ruined.

15. mmrols May 23, 2019

::censored::;)::facepalm1::

16. marturx May 23, 2019

Larry, that is unfair. I´m not seeking a conflict, I see a risk for it, and that is two different things.

Guns is controversial, you must realize that?

Why not start a sub forum for you that have guns as a legitimate hobby. Why do you need to be here among us watch enthusiasts? I don´t get it...

17. Furioso May 23, 2019

The "why do you need..." position is only projected when one wants to prevent others from something. It is never applied broadly, and is thus a very poor position to take.

If the world worked on 'need' alone, Maslow's hierarchy would be all of mankind's guiding principle. We'd all be eating only the sustenance required to sustain human life. No choice of cars, as transportation 'needs' can be met FAR more efficiently, and with much less detrimental impact to the earth, its flora and fauna including man, if prescribed only by need. Few people need a watch, and far fewer need anything more than a reliable quartz model.

The world and this forum enjoy a far broader sense of choice, direction, and freedom, in many cases. If we begin to restrict based on individual perspectives and apply them broadly, we approach the idea of living in caves very simply. Food, water, shelter, are plenty when they're scarce, but if we endeavor for greater social progress and anything beyond rudimentary living, we are better off as individuals if we benefit from what we like and work around what we don't, while impacting others negatively as little as reasonable.

'Reasonable' on this forum seems to include this thread and posts and many others with varying degrees of focus on timepieces.

18. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ May 23, 2019

Lately I have been toting this model 19 around. Stoked with the old fbi load 158 grn.+p semi wad cutters. Works well for my needs.

DSC03028.JPG
  19. Professor May 23, 2019

You seem to be the only one particularly upset by this thread's existence.

I used to be very interested in firearms , not so much lately, and seldom post to this thread. I still enjoy reading the posts of other forum members who share that interest.
    I was always more interested in the engineering challenges of various firearms designs and their evolution, just as I'm interested in the same factors in the evolution of time pieces of all sorts.

Observer, Kenj, larryganz and 3 others like this.
  20. repoman May 23, 2019

Yes, the extended tube requires a really long spring, so I stuff it in the top foam ;-)