Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Kenj May 23, 2019

In the UK we can hold obsolete firearms. and black powder pistols military caliber rifles with a licence most of the folk that had firearms that where taken from them if the law changed would apply for a licence again.because of a few a lot of folk where punished.

larryganz and noelekal like this.
  2. larryganz The cable guy May 24, 2019

We don’t need a sub forum - all we need is this one thread in the “open discussion” forum. A sub forum would be more than we need.

In fact, wouldn’t a separate sub forum dedicated to firearms actually seem to be promoting the use of firearms? Wouldn’t that go against what you’re actually seeking to do here? I don’t believe for a minute that moving firearms to its own sub forum would stop you from seeing it pop up under threads with new posts.

In 7years we’ve not needed a sub forum. I actually think this thread has been here longer than you have (and I’ve only been here five years). It’s already been explained to you why this thread is here. And we really don’t appreciate talking about politics or political correctness in this thread (like now).

Can we please keep this thread on topic? Perhaps you could just stick to one of the 11 or 12 specific watch related sub forums?

PS: There was a thread that an OP was requesting that Seiko be given its own sub forum, but it became a Seiko Watch Enthusiast thread instead. It was like one of 3 or 4 Seiko enthusiast threads, and a sub forum might be overkill (see what I did there).

There was of course some discussion in that thread because the thread was opened specifically to talk about that issue. So perhaps you should start a new thread asking for a firearms sub forum, and it can be discussed in that one. But it doesn’t belong in this thread.

Edited May 24, 2019
    ArtVandlay, voere and noelekal like this.
  3. peterkirk01 May 24, 2019

If the offer of the photos still stands I would be very grateful. Many thanks.

4. Kenj May 24, 2019

574079E2-9BF8-476E-9FC7-A04BB2166541.jpeg Nice Apache 7mm. Swiss army type

Wryfox, Mtek, voere and 1 other person like this.
  5. Kenj May 24, 2019

Wryfox, voere, Mtek and 1 other person like this.
  6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 24, 2019

Those are all really great Kenj.

I've long wanted a Remington .41 double derringer ever since I was a kid. Had an uncle who had one. About 1970 he brought it to our house in the country with some guns he intended to shoot. We all tried a few shots through it at a target tacked to a railroad cross tie and found that the .41 Short rim fire bullet would bounce off the tough wood, something that even very light .38 Special wadcutters or .22 Long Rifle bullets would not do.

Still, the little two-shot Remington derringer just looks so period, so "western", so 19th century, that I want one.

What is the caliber of the Colt double-action Model 1877 that you are showing us? It looks very nice.

7. Kenj May 24, 2019

The Colt is a .41 different ammo to the Remington

noelekal and Mtek like this.
  8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 24, 2019

Yes.

I'm a nut for old offbeat or obsolete cartridges and the .41 Long Colt is a special favorite. Colt discontinued producing revolvers chambered for .41 Long Colt sometime between about 1930 and World War II. Reference sources differ. The cartridge was a dead duck by World War II. Only Colt ever chambered revolvers for what was originally its proprietary cartridge.

Two Colt revolvers chambered for .41 Long Colt roost in the firearms menagerie here. I'd love to add a Colt Model 1877 "Thunderer" like yours to the .41 Long Colt tribe Kenji!

A 1925 vintage Colt Army Special with 4-inch barrel
    [​IMG]

A 1901 vintage Colt New Navy with 4 1/2-inch barrel
    [​IMG]

The Colt Army Special is a comparatively modern revolver, sharing as it does the same basic design as later Colt revolver models such as the Python. The Colt New Navy is an old wheezer of a revolver design. The lines of the New Navy are fairly modern in appearance and it does feature a swing-out cylinder, but the mechanics are primitive and flimsy.

There is no reason for the .41 Long Colt to exist today, but it's not a bad ol' cartridge. Was said to have a pretty effective reputation for gun-fighting in its day. A "best" description I've read claimed the .41 Long Colt performed much like a .38 Special cartridge loaded with a heavy 200 grain bullet. It could also be said to perform much like a .40 S&W cartridge loaded with a 200 grain bullet. That ain't bad.

Factory loads show velocities in the 700-750 feet-per-second range with a blunt 200 grain bullet. Judicious handloading can gen up to 900 feet-per-second or so some reloaders have claimed. I haven't chosen to "go for broke" and handload it to any sort of maximum so about 850 fps is all I've gotten out of the cartridge and that only in the Army Special. I won't trust the older New Navy with anything but mildest of handloads.

I was once testing batches of factory loads in one of the Colt .41s, shooting them over the chronograph in order to establish a performance range to try to duplicate with my handloads. I was conducting the testing from off the 100 yard rifle bench rest tables so I'd have room for equipment and testing. Aiming over the chronograph's sky screens found me pointing the sights at a rocky outcropping at about 90 yards away, the white stone protruding perhaps 4-inches out of the ground. I was gratified to find that the bullets didn't have the amount of drop I would have expected and, once I sighted on the outcropping, hits were observed with fair regularity, signified by their puffs of white dust. Just a pretty decent performance out of an old revolver using old ammunition.

Edited May 24, 2019
    Wryfox, voere, Mtek and 1 other person like this.
  9. Swissmister May 25, 2019

Which would explain the success of the Swiss army. ::rimshot::

Only humor. It's a very cool little piece.

10. Swissmister May 25, 2019

11. Kenj May 25, 2019

Also if we have ammo for these we get a free holiday.

Mtek and noelekal like this.
  12. ras47 May 25, 2019

The price for Cor-Bon Glazer rounds is even crazier. That's what I have in my Glock 23. I won't load anything I'm not familiar with so I took two boxes (20 rds. each) to the range and sent them down the line. $80 to prove to myself they shot just like basic FMJ rounds. Ouch! But if the day comes that I must rely on them I am confident in their performance.

Edited May 25, 2019
  13. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since May 25, 2019

You an Air Marshall
    Like the Rolex Pepsi. Can spot on on WRUW pretty much every time

noelekal likes this.
  14. Wryfox May 26, 2019

15. i20rider May 30, 2019

6.5 is a great round. Iv worked and competed In this industry for years. But the sad truth is about 95% of the people that either have a 6.5 or are considering one. Will never use it to it's abilities.. realistically that goes for all calibers. But. No need to go after the newest hottes round. When you don't have the equipment or expertise to use it. , not to mention scratch the surface of the potential of the round your trying to replace it with...

None of this was directed at anyone. Just a rant.

noelekal likes this.
  16. 64Wing May 30, 2019

Short answer to your question: yes. I love firearms.

Long answer in the form of a neat story from this week:

I took a trip a couple hours downstate to inspect a recently acquired airplane for a (now) friend that runs an Ag operation (crop dusting). His facility was impressive, the people in the operation were great fun and very professional. They have much experience in this type of flight operation, but this new airplane has an engine that they have very limited experience with, so that's where we come in. Anyhow, after looking over the bird we were sitting at the table in the corner of the hangar looking through the logbooks.

My buddy that I tagged along with on the trip is a big gun guy, and the owner noticed him slant-eyeing his gun safe in back of the hanger. (For those of you wondering, this is located on the farmer's own property so there are no odd regulations about having guns on the premises).

Farmer says, "you wanna see what's in there, don't you?"
    My buddy says, "uh huh..."

Before opening the safe, Tim opens a cupboard above the workbench and pulls out a fresh container of tannerite.

"Well, since we've got one out, we should mix it up, don't you think?"

He proceeded to mix the tannerite, opened the safe just enough for him to grab a rifle and we headed out to his grass strip just outside to have some fun. At about 100 yards, Farmer, not feeling well from the night before (the wives are out of town) missed twice. My buddy missed once, but was using a golf cart to steady the weapon. Without missing a beat he laid down on the concrete in front of the hangar and fired the shot that made the boom and all cheered!

The coolest part was that as the conversation delved deeper into the firearms world of "I've got" and "I wish I had," Farmer reaches into the safe and pulls out a BEAUTIFUL Thompson with the round mag...

It was truly drool worthy.

Anyway, just thought I'd answer your question :)

All the best!

Mtek, noelekal and larryganz like this.
  17. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 31, 2019

I've long wanted a classic 6.5 something-or-other since before the 6.5 Creedmore was thought up. Had a Swedish Model 96 that I was going to build up into a little stalking rifle, but another fellow wanted it more than I did so it went away.

Any sort of mild classic 6.5 would do. When I was young I thought the .264 Winchester Magnum would do nicely, but I've cooled my heals since then. Have a 6.5-06 barrel on hand but it's a tad short for my purposes.

i20rider likes this.
  18. Wryfox Jun 4, 2019

It's interesting that all the rage is 6.5 now. 125years since the Swedes figured it out.

Mtek and noelekal like this.
  19. Furioso Jun 7, 2019

.41 long colt - IIRC, the Taurus judge or similar model will shoot .41 long colt, as well as .410 (which is technically a caliber, not a gauge, though a shotshell designation).

20. Professor Jun 8, 2019

Unlike the standard .410 shotguns most of the .410 revolvers and break action pistols are bored to handle a .45 bullet and can be used with the .45 Colt cartridge which is much the same diameter as the .410 shotshell. I believe a .41 revolver cartridge would be a very loose fit and the cases might burst.
    A friend had a .45/70 trapdoor Springfield rifle that he fired .410 shotshells in.
    The British brass cased .410 based on the .303 British rifle casing might be much closer to handling a .41 cartridge safely.

The wife of a friend worked as an armed security guard and carried a .41 Magnum S&W revolver. She used the optional lightly loaded .41 target cartridges that were also marketed with these revolvers. These were probably very close to the old .41 Colt Long.