Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. river rat Jun 12, 2017

I collect some vintage stuff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Argentine issued 1911 made in 1932 still shoots strait plus a Argentine issue bolo knife
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is my Remington Rand US issued 1911 and a German issued P-38 and varies US issued Knifes and a M-1 carbine of WW2 made by IBM yes a type writer CO. during WW2 most US companies stopped making stuff for commercial sales and made stuff for the war effort. Main reason I got the US Issued 1911 was that was the weapon I was issue when I did the quarter deck watch when in the US Navy saw that go by the way of the DODO then the Sig Sauer 9mm in one unit I was in then the Beretta 9mm that standard issue with most of the US military. The Remington Rand 1911 was issued in 1944 and the German mauser P-38 was issued in 1943. The P-38 has no import marks so a war prize bring back by some one of the greatest generation the US military of today don't let you do that any more dam it.
    [​IMG]
    And this sykes fairbairn commando knife from WW2

Edited Jun 12, 2017
    diamondjim, voere, ras47 and 8 others like this.
  2. river rat Jun 12, 2017

I was at the local sporting goods store the other day and saw a couple US issued Colt 1911 and a few German issued Lugers had to walk out before I spent any more money this month after buying a vintage Zenith Special Pilots watch I really could not afford another toy. I do like my watch collecting more than gun collecting but since I moved to MT I find vintage weapons more in the wild than vintage watches so I get side tracked some times. Seems like all my watch collecting done on line these days since I moved to MT.

noelekal likes this.
  3. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 12, 2017

Speaking for myself this watch forum is not the best place to post about firearms. So many members actually whine about posts when someone posts a firearm. To me it's not worth the hassle to read some BS replies So I no longer post anything firearm related. . Hey you either like firearms or you don't. End of story.

I enjoy the shooting sports skeet, trap, target shooting both long guns and handguns, hunting etc. I also collect firearms it's a shame so many members whine about firearms. I could careless if you do not like firearms.

I do not get it if you do not like them do not view the posts. As I mentioned just not worth reading the BS comments.
    Just my short two cents worth.

watchknut and OMGRLX like this.
  4. ras47 Jun 12, 2017

I grew up shooting the M1911 45 ACP, the AR-15 (actual Armalite model), the M1A, and the venerable M1 Garand.

I'm a Glock guy for pistols, shooting the G23 in .40 S&W. I favor Mossberg 500's and Remington 870's for shotguns, and I love my simple Bushmaster AR-15.

There's a great range in northern NJ in Randolph. RTSP. I'm there a lot sending a couple hundred rounds downrange each trip.

propervinyl, OMGRLX and noelekal like this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 12, 2017

Neato thread!

Never stumbled on it before. I'm enthused about watches, but am even more enthused about firearms.

My primary hobby is shooting sports and collecting with a focus on antique and vintage arms. Very little modern "black plastique fantastique" lives here and what does live here isn't taken seriously.

I admire the Winchesters, Colts, Smith & Wessons, U. S. military, and British military arms of bygone times (love Lee Enfields and Webleys) as well as wherever a gun collecting tangent takes me, particularly the match grade guns once cataloged by firearms manufacturers.

Pre-World War II (some pre-1900) Winchesters, with the odd Savage Model 99 at the bottom. Top to bottom: Model 1873 .38-40, Model 1886 .45-90, Model 1892 .32-20, Model 1894 .32 Winchester Special, Model 1895 .405 WCF. The Savage 99 is from the 1950s and is chambered for the .300 Savage.
    [​IMG]

The Colt .45 automatic tribe: Top to bottom: rare predecessor to the Colt 1911, a Colt Model 1905, second row: World War I vintage (1918) Colt Model 1911 and World War II vintage (1944) Remington Rand Model 1911-A1, third row: 1947 Colt Government Model and 1967 Colt Government Model, bottom row: 1979 Colt Gold Cup, 2014 Colt Government Model and a 2015 Delta Elite (chambered for 10mm).
    [​IMG]

10 shots at 10 yards, shot with a Colt Officer's Model Match, a premium Bulls-Eye competition gun from back in the day. This Officer's Model Match was produced in 1957, the same year I was produced.
    [​IMG]

Uncommonly seen Smith & Wesson New Century "Triple Lock" .44 Special from 1910 with vintage Heiser holster.
    [​IMG]

World War II Army buddies who all happen to have been produced by typewriter/business machine manufactures on contract for the War Department. Top: Model 1903-A3 produced by Smith Corona in December of 1942, center: M1 Carbine produced by Underwood in October of 1943, bottom: the Remington Rand 1911-A1 again which was produced in January of 1944.
    [​IMG]

Another World War II Army bud, the ubiquitous M1, this one from the Springfield Armory, produced in June of 1944.
    [​IMG]

Webley Mark IV .38/200 with second and third patter Fairbairn Sykes knives
    [​IMG]

Buster, alam, everestx and 7 others like this.
  6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 12, 2017

Gotta love Heiser leather! I have a plain one for my Ed Brown.

OMGRLX and noelekal like this.
  7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 12, 2017

That Wembley brings back fond memories.
    My father used to have an old service revolver.
    It had been snubbed and the barrel filled - and he used it as a starter pistol for athletic meetings.
    Still required a gun licence of course.
    It was a very exotic 'toy' to have in a U.K. Household. (To the wide-eyed amazement of all my school friends)
    Nothing against guns per se - but I think I'd rather he'd brought his navigators watch home!

noelekal likes this.
  8. simon.pearl Jun 13, 2017

Ah nice to see others who love guns as much as watches! I'm not sure which I fell in love with first but I've been shooting since I turned 18 and could buy a gun, I'm primarily a John M Browning fan but also old S&W wheel guns, last year started to get into ARs before the laws changed here in CA and bolt action rifles.

noelekal likes this.
  9. Father Time Jun 13, 2017

Wow... can't wait to post some stuff up, as I just saw this thread. Been into guns since early Jr. High. 5 decades ago, now! Got my son interested when he was 5 and picked up a little Chipmunk single shot .22 to learn on. We call it "The Divorce Gun". He got interested in air rifle competition in grade school and shot that, up till high school. Had great hopes of him being on the Olympic team... then he found girls! He's married now with a 3 year old who will hopefully, be shooting that Chipmunk soon enough. He really got interested in suppressed guns and even did all of the paperwork for his Class III license, which he has a S&W fully auto in 9mm. My Gawd... if that can't put a smile on your face... then nothing can!

I am into high grade .22's with nice dead wood on 'em, as he says. We are just now beginning to appreciate one another's passions for firearms. I think I brought him up right!

I'll come back and post some good stuff... you guys do the same!

noelekal likes this.
  10. davidswiss Jun 13, 2017

I target shot at the weekend, swiss K31 7.5x55 military of course. First time in 11 years and I was all over the place but good fun never the less.
    My plan was to join the local group and start shooting regularly again every Wednesday evening, but slicing open my finger on a scythe yesterday afternoon has put paid to that for a while.

For those Webley fans can you confirm they are very good shooters ?
    I've known two owners in the past who both said that their old .455's shot very straight.

For those that don't like the idea of target shooting large calibre guns I suggest they try it, it's a very de stressing and relaxing hobby in my experience.

noelekal likes this.
  11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 13, 2017

Hi davidswiss;

Two Webleys live here. The World War II era Mark IV .38/200 (.38 S&W) and a Boer War vintage Mark IV .455 with serial number that indicates it was produced in 1899.

Both are well-designed and robust, displaying fine workmanship. Both are pleasingly accurate and shoot to point-of-aim using ammunition prepared to mimic original ballistics. In the U. S. the .455's ammunition is uncommonly found so I resort to handloading for supplies.

[​IMG]

voere, duc and davidswiss like this.
  12. davidswiss Jun 13, 2017

Thanks for that noelekal. I like the contents of your bookshelf !!

duc and noelekal like this.
  13. corn18 Jun 13, 2017

I started to shoot competitively at age 10 or so. Bench rest muzzle loaders (NMLRA). Shot air rifle in college (US Naval Academy). Had my FFL for many years then had kids and jobs and lost interest. Now that I'm running a gun optics company (EOTech), I'm back at it and enjoy it again. Also fully equipped the house and trained my wife and kids, so we're all set for the Zombie apocalypse when it happens.

Rodmar, Wildebeest67 and noelekal like this.
  14. BreitLight Jun 15, 2017

I'm in NY, so this isn't mine, of course. And I didn't build it.

0327160934.jpg
    Mark020, diamondjim, voere and 5 others like this.
  15. Pvt-Public Jun 15, 2017

I have only this S&W .357
    P1232047.JPG

voere, Speedmasterfan88, duc and 2 others like this.
  16. alam Jun 15, 2017

one of my fav

:)

IMG_2545.JPG
  17. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jun 15, 2017

I've never seen that sort of shaping on a slide. Looks like scales? awesome. :thumbsup:

18. alam Jun 15, 2017

yeah, sort of...

19. repoman Jun 15, 2017

I'm a 3gun competitor when not scouring the interwebs for watches:
    20170322_203508.jpg

voere, OMGRLX, simon.pearl and 4 others like this.
  20. Wryfox Jun 16, 2017

Those k31s are outstanding. saw one take a 600yd service rifle match many years ago. Can't remember the score but it blew everyone away. We all wanted one after that. I remember what were coming in to the US at the time were virtually new . Fine rifles.