Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Waltesefalcon Oct 18, 2018

Here is my humble pair of 1911s. The nickeled gun is an original M1911 dating to 1915. My great granddad came home with it after WWII and my dad inherited it when he was 15. It was pretty badly rusted, you can still see the pits, so he had it plated, fitted it with a gold cup barrel and bushing, did a ramp job so it'd feed semi-wad cutters and shot it in competition. I literally grew up with this gun and have been shooting it since I was 6.
    The Delta Elite is one I picked up fairly recently and has become my cold weather EDC. It is a late 80s one and the only work I've done was eliminating the series 80 safety.
    I agree that the 1911 is the most reliable of autoloader designs out there and that is why everyone has copied it to some extent. I've put thousands of rounds through mine and the only time I have had failures was once when I was a teen and learning to reload, I didn't resize the brass and had about 200 rounds that had issues. I change out the springs every thousand or so rounds and they both ready me right.

20181018_172926.jpg
    CTS-V, McKinley, Wryfox and 2 others like this.
  2. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Oct 18, 2018

Going to the range in the morning. Before I mount the Leupold Adjust O mounts and rings. I'll fool around trying to shim the front of the base to zero at 100 yards. If I have luck with that I may keep this setup If not it's Adjust O mounts. Damn this old Balvar 8 scope is perfect for this 99.

The eye relief is fantastic and the scope is nice and clear. These old B&L scopes are hard to beat. None of my Leupolds ,Redfield, Burris or Zeiss have the eye relief of the Balvar 8

In this picture the scope is just tacked into the mounts. I'm sure I will have to remove the mounts several times to shim the front of the base.

20181018_182737.jpg
    Edited Oct 18, 2018
    noelekal and Waltesefalcon like this.
  3. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Oct 21, 2018

Old school mounts and rings. Now I need to bore sight the setup. It should be fairly easy I'll use a laser bore sight tool. That will get me on paper. I'll do the final tweaks at the range. I like these old school setups.

20181021_175021(0).jpg
    The Father, propervinyl and noelekal like this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 21, 2018

That is a really good-lookin' set-up voere!

propervinyl likes this.
  5. Wryfox Oct 24, 2018

Wednesday wake up pic...50AE (Action Express), 10" barrel, 6x scope, 8lbs
    DESERT EAGLE 50 SCOPED2 - LEFT -1.jpg

Edited Oct 24, 2018
  6. Waltesefalcon Oct 24, 2018

Interesting DE you have there Wry, I don't believe I have ever seen a long barreled one before.

7. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Oct 31, 2018

Ready for hunting season
    I have been playing around with this Rem 700. The rifle is sighted in and shooting great. The finish was worn through in some spots. It was easier to recoat the entire stock. I just finished putting the rifle back together. I have not seen this rifle looking this good in a long time.

20181031_034425.jpg
    Edited Oct 31, 2018
  8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 31, 2018

OOOooo... voere !!!!

That does look so fine! That Remington 700 and Leupold scope combination has a more familiar look about it to me over the now currently popular AR 15 derivatives seen today.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  9. Waltesefalcon Oct 31, 2018

Nicely done Voere, what do you use to refinish your stocks?

10. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Oct 31, 2018

This stock had some finish that was worn in a few places. On this high gloss stock. I used spray can of Helmsman spar urethane high gloss. It was fairly easy to use. All I did was lightly wet sand the stock using 600 grit sand paper. Since this 700 is not a show piece It's a hunting rifle.. I did not bother taking out a couple nicks and dings. That would have resulted in stripping off the old finish and taking out the small dings and nicks. Then get into the refinishing.

I used a very small amount of water just enough to wet the sandpaper and stock. I sanded sections of the stock at a time. I took down the old finish to get rid of most small scratches and stopped sanding just before I hit the wood. I gave the stock two coats of the urethane sanding in between the first and second coat. I used 600 grit paper. Sand small sections at a time wipe off the wet area with a rag or paper towel and check your results if good move on to the next section if not sand a little more.

All in all this stock was done pretty quick. After the first coat I let the finish dry just under 24 hours. Then sanded and repeated the process. The beauty of wet sanding is you do not have to wait a few days in between coats. Just sand lightly and you are good to go. Hand rubbed oil finishes are another ball game.

I like this 700 it's a nice shooter with a minimal amount of work to get it shooting tight groups. The action is pillar and glass bedded. The barrel channel is free floated. Running a jewell hvr trigger the end result was worth the minor work to turn the rifle into a fair hunting rifle.

Good Luck

Edited Oct 31, 2018
    noelekal and Waltesefalcon like this.
  11. propervinyl Nov 25, 2018

Just waiting.

PSX_20181125_083611.jpg
    CTS-V, voere, noelekal and 1 other person like this.
  12. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Nov 25, 2018

Sako?

Good Luck

propervinyl likes this.
  13. propervinyl Nov 25, 2018

You got it. Forester in 243. Shoots way better than I do.

noelekal likes this.
  14. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Nov 25, 2018

Sako makes nice rifles & in 243 they are flat shooters. I have a few rifles chambered in 243

Professor, propervinyl and noelekal like this.
  15. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Nov 25, 2018

One of my Christmas gifts came early. New holster for a 1911. My oldest Granddaughter gave it to me on Thanksgiving day. She told me I can't wear it until Christmas. I told her the holster needs some break in time before Christmas. So today I wore the holster around the house. The 1911 fit great I had to stretch the belt loop tunnel a tad to fit one of my holster belts. Now the belt fits great and I will wait until Christmas to actually use the holster.

20181125_170804.jpg
  16. Professor Nov 25, 2018

Theres the occasional pedantic argument among gun writers about a trajectory being described as "flat". Some are too hung up on nomenclature.
    I'm reminded of a line in "Bosworth on the Rifle" written in the 1840's. He described a bullet's trajectory as being more or less "Encurvated Next the Earth".

Wryfox and Waltesefalcon like this.
  17. Wryfox Dec 12, 2018

Wanted to post one of my cooler rifles....an Australian L1A1 FAL in 308NATO. I've always loved the FAL design..kicks like a mule but eats everything. A little while ago a new friend said it looked like the Canadian version. Can't say for sure...perhaps my fellow rifle fans can weigh in....
    20180805_121742.jpg

18. six-barrel Dec 12, 2018

Been a long time for me but I believe/remember the Cnd version barrel was longer and I don't remember the 2 vents in the forestock. These were retired from service in the early 90's.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 12, 2018

Yep - not a Canadian version (FNC1A1)

[​IMG]

As for kicking like a mule, if you kept it clean you could turn the gas down so it wasn't so bad. But I guess compared the 5.56 pea shooter, yes it had some kick. Personally I loved it...and I still remember my serial number for that and the 9mm SMG I was issued...

20. Wryfox Dec 12, 2018

Anyone remember these? Back in the 90s they were the 'shiznit' as Snoop Dog used to say. Don't think I've ever used a more effective brake, or drawn more ire from fellow shooters....louder than hell's bells.
    AR A1 Left.jpg AR A1 JP Brake.jpg

voere and Waltesefalcon like this.