Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. McKinley Oct 15, 2018

I know. I'm hopelessly out-of-style.[/QUOTE]

Don't let anyone change you, @noelekal. You aren't nearly as much of an old fogie as I am.....I haven't bought anything but revolvers in the last 5 yrs. All my Colt and High Standard semi's were bought more than 5 years ago. Chronologically, I may not be the oldest here, but I am the cave man here. In this PC world, I better hope no Neanderthals take offense at that remark. ;-)

McK

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 15, 2018

OOOooo ... McKinley, I don't know. You'd have to "get up pretty early in the morning" to be as old a fogy as I am.

I'm still regularly using guns I've had for 40+ years now. I mean ... I still take stuff like original Winchester Model 1895 rifles and Colt New Service revolvers seriously as usin' guns.

Just livin' the dream.

I'm in a another place and time when it comes to the firearms. If a firearm's design post dates World War II then, with few exceptions, I'm not much interested. Oh, I have a piddling few "new crop" firearms designs in the menagerie here, but mostly take a dim view of modern stuff. Those High Standard .22 automatic pistols are a notable exception as are the post-war Remington Model 721/722/725/700 bolt action rifles.

Oh yeah, I do like the CZ 75.

Wryfox likes this.
  3. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Oct 15, 2018

I'm not a big fan of Glocks however I own a few. With a little work the trigger can be rather nice. At one time I owned two 10mm FBI 1076's. In a moment of weakness I gave both of them to my Son. At the time I looked at the 10mm as just another caliber to reload for. I also enjoy older firearms. Very few of my firearms are recent models maybe a couple ar's into the mix Some of my favorite hunting rifles are 60 to 80+ years old

Edited Oct 15, 2018
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 15, 2018

I'd be open to trying a Smith & Wesson 1076. It's a big ol' pistol but looks like it could be a winner. Wish Smith & Wesson still made them.

Only a single Glock lives here, a 2nd generation 17. It's hard to love when other 9mms are on hand to steal one's heart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

propervinyl and voere like this.
  5. ras47 Oct 15, 2018

I grew up shooting 1911s in our back yard. I'll always have a soft spot for my .45 Colt Commander and my Dad's .45 Remington Rand WWII issue. But Glocks have captivated me like no other pistol. I love every single thing about them. The Safe Action trigger system, low bore axis, insanely great reliability, and ease of maintenance. There isn't a single aesthetic flourish on a Glock. Every groove or protrusion has a purpose. No compromise. I took the Glock Armorer's Course over two days and it only added to my appreciation of the brand.

Wryfox, voere and noelekal like this.
  6. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Oct 15, 2018

Nice Hi Power
    I hear you about Glocks it took me a long time until I could warm up to one. Back when the feds had to turn in the 1076's. They must have had the option to purchase their firearm. One day I was in a local fun shop. A agent walked in and sold a 1076. The owner and his wife the owners of the shop are friends of my wife and I.

I mentioned to the owner if you get any more of these 1076's keep me in mind and consider it sold. About two weeks go by and several agents were selling their 1076's. They must have had the option to purchase their firearm. So I imagine they flipped them for a profit. The owner called me and said he took in a few of them. When I went to his shop he had a stack of them. I looked one over and said I'll take two.

Sometimes one just gets lucky.

ras47 and noelekal like this.
  7. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 15, 2018

Glock’s are like tanks. The Glock may be polymer but they last forever. One of these days I need to clean the ones I have been shooting the last 6 months or not. As Ras47 mentioned, the Glock safe trigger action is the best. Kinda hate safeties. Nothing worse than crew member who is supposed to watch your ass, forgetting how to work a safety on any weapon when the Indians are shooting. It didn’t happen just once either. Well anyway, guns are good, mmmmm K

Edited Oct 15, 2018
    Wryfox likes this.
  8. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Oct 15, 2018

I decided to scope the Savage 99c. I'm going old school with the optics and mounts. I really like these older B&L Balvar 8 scopes. I have newer styles of mounts and scopes However Normally I like to keep my long guns period correct. However I will make an exception and mix and match the rifle and optics.

bls.jpg l.jpg
    noelekal likes this.
  9. Wryfox Oct 16, 2018

All this talk about 10mm makes me hungry......I always wanted a 10mm AR upper or 10mm carbine. You can get some great velocities from that longer case with a longer barrel.

But instead, one day there was a guy walking around the local gun show with this. Whats better than a 10mm(~41magnum)? a 46 magnum!

This is one bad thumper. 458 SOCOM. Runs 350 to 500g bullets up to 2000fps. BOOM!

Good for hogs, bears, King Kong, etc......see comparison to the dinky 'lil 5.56.
    temp.jpg
    20181016_082726.jpg

Edited Oct 17, 2018
    cicindela and noelekal like this.
  10. Wryfox Oct 16, 2018

Twofer Tuesday.....Nice cool morning so took a walk around the neighborhood. Noticed some Freedom perched on the neighbors roofs....
    temp.jpg

11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 16, 2018

Not one, but two reminders of American Liberty.

Oh yeah Wry Fox! That's the way to make use of the AR 15 platform.

An AR 15 is kept on hand here and it can be handy and fun to shoot, but it is hard to take seriously in the .223/5.56 NATO chambering, a middling varmint cartridge in my view.

As far as safeties, I always thought of the 1911-gun's safety as the switch that turns on the outstanding trigger, heh!

Edited Oct 16, 2018
    voere likes this.
  12. Waltesefalcon Oct 16, 2018

Y'all talking about being old fogys and owning things like Glocks and ARs makes me laugh. The newest design I own is my Ruger Standard. Mostly I have Colt DA revolvers, 1911s, BP revolvers, and a couple of rifles. My warm weather EDC is a Detective Special and my cold weather EDC is a Delta Elite.

I agree about the safeties; the 1911's original system has the best of both worlds, a solid safety and a nearly flawless trigger.

voere and noelekal like this.
  13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 16, 2018

Back to your post voere; my dad has an FN Supreme .270 from the early 1950s outfitted with that very scope combination. Optics are still very clear. Only thing is, I scarcely ever have had a need to make adjustment to the scope so on the occasions that I have I get all bumfuzzled about which direction to crank the adjustments.

Wryfox, voere and Waltesefalcon like this.
  14. Wryfox Oct 16, 2018

Added to lexicon: bumfuzzled. :)

voere likes this.
  15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 16, 2018

Hah!

Go ahead and add "whopper-jawed" as well, which is the state of that Bausch & Lomb Balvar scope when I mis-adjust the mount.

voere likes this.
  16. Waltesefalcon Oct 16, 2018

Bumfuzzled is a good one, but whopper-jawed is better. My dad always said something out of alignment was caddiwhumpus.

noelekal and voere like this.
  17. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Oct 16, 2018

My Dad had a Model 70 from the 50's with the same scope, rings and mounts. I can remember sighting in that combination. These are no two or three shot scope zeroing. More like close to 12 or 20 rounds once zeroed they hold zero getting it zeroed is another story.

Awhile back I had the same scope mounted in a standard Leupold 1 piece mount. The windage was no problem setting up. The elevation was another story. I used shim stock to shim the front of the base I managed to get the setup to zero at 100 yards. It took a little work but it all worked out fine.

Edited Oct 16, 2018
    noelekal likes this.
  18. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 16, 2018

Heh!

Caddy-wampus works too around here.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  19. propervinyl Oct 16, 2018

I love your collection - and the idea of period correct scopes.

Currently considering a Pre-64 Model 70 or a Sako Forester/Finnbear, and am wondering if you have any concerns going hunting with vintage optics.

I would love to have a period-correct scope on the rifle, but am worried that the unforgiving weather we face in upstate New York in November might put the scope at risk.

Thanks in advance!

voere likes this.
  20. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 17, 2018

Can't speak from experience with weather conditions in upstate New York, but I have taken lots of deer here in Texas over several decades with vintage sporting bolt-action rifles wearing period scopes from the 1950s to early 1960s. Lyman All Americans and an Alaskan, Weavers, and Leupolds, some with interesting reticules. I've not been frustrated with light-gathering capabilities and have had no fogging issues. All have given perfect satisfaction. Some came on the rifles as acquired. Some I deliberately mounted for period-correct fun.

Here's the Winchester Model 70 tribe. Three Pre-64s: a '37 vintage .220 Swift, '47 vintage .257 Roberts, '53 vintage .30-06 with a 1980s Super Express .375 H&H Magnum.

[​IMG]