Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. sah Oct 9, 2018

The Winchester is likely mid 1940s as well. I love skeet shooting.

noelekal likes this.
  2. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Oct 12, 2018

Trying to decide if I should put a scope on this Savage 99c. Late model 99c in cal. 308 if I do install a scope I need to purchase a set of rings. These rifles call for extended rings to get the proper eye relief for a scope. If everything works out okay I'll use this one as a back up deer rifle.

20181012_135312.jpg
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 12, 2018

Wow, that's a good looking Savage 99 voere!

I'd enthusiastically gather up Savage 99 variants and in all calibers as a fun gun collecting tangent if funds would allow it.

Only a single 1950s example lives here, a Model 99EG in .300 Savage.

[​IMG]

Waltesefalcon and voere like this.
  4. ext1 Oct 12, 2018

I'm not a gun person, but I just saw this and I thought it might be worth a laugh. I'm sorry if you all think this is not serious enough. Please don't shoot!
    [​IMG]
    (I'll silence myself like that 3rd panel)

Waltesefalcon, voere and sah like this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 12, 2018

We'll hold our fire, hah!

ext1 and voere like this.
  6. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Oct 13, 2018

Brian
    Your Savage is very nice. 99s from the 1950's are great rifles. The one I have is from 1989 or 1990. Close to the end of the run of the 99's. Through the years I have owned several of them. Some models I should have never traded or gave away. You are correct one could make a career of collecting them, plenty of variations and calibers of the 1899.

I'm still on the fence about putting a scope on the 99 I have. A couple weeks ago I took her out to the range. With the open sights at 100 yards I was grouping just under 2 inches. That is accurate enough for my needs. Installing a scope would really improve the groups.

noelekal likes this.
  7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 13, 2018

As you say, the Model 99 is a sure 'nuff shooter. I've saved a lot of nice groups in a lifetime collection of targets but only have a single photograph of an informal 100-yard 5-shot group shot with the rifle. Scope is a period Weaver K-4. Only the .30-06 has harvested more deer for me than the .300 Savage cartridge, fired from the Model 99. Probably 20 or more deer have fallen to it.

[​IMG]

voere and ras47 like this.
  8. Wryfox Oct 13, 2018

I'll bet I've shot literally hundreds of different firearms over my life but never a 99. But I can tell you this, the folks that like 'em, love' em.

My favorite gun shop here, the owner has devoted a full wall for his 99 collection. None for sale. That's a guy who loves his 99s.

voere and noelekal like this.
  9. ras47 Oct 13, 2018

That's a hell of a group! Nicely done!!

voere and noelekal like this.
  10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 13, 2018

May have posted this here before. It's not a great group but it's interesting. I was shooting a .220 Swift for group at 100 yards from the bench rest on an occasion, playing with handloads for fun and frolic. Was just about to touch off the first round on a new target when one of our red wasps landed high on the target. Couldn't resist sighting on him. Made the shot then moved slightly away from the resulting hole to shoot four more rounds.

Sure enough; when I went downrange the wasp was found reduced to so much goo, mostly on the back side of the target.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two more groups shot on another occasion with the rifle. The smallest group may be completely covered with the mouth of a .38 Special case. I still have the targets and gobs more, kept through the years as trophies and to aggravate Mrs. noelekal one supposes.

[​IMG]

Bottom rifle is my "wasp gun," the one used on this occasion, a 1972 vintage Ruger M77V "Flat Bolt" .220 Swift equipped with a Burris 6X18 target scope. Top rifle is a 1937 vintage Winchester Model 70 also in .220 Swift chambering.

[​IMG]

11. Wryfox Oct 13, 2018

Man I hate red wasps. I call them flying devils. Bought a house 20yrs ago that had been empty for about 6 months. Wasps had moved in to all the yard bushes. Got stung while walking up to the front door to put the key in for the first time. Took me a few weeks but ultimately killed 48 (FORTY EIGHT) wasp nests. I was starting to get creative on dealing death, one nest going down with a hairspray flamethrower. (evil cackle erupting). The sight of a few dozen red wasps flying away fully engulfed in flames was pure joy. :cool:.....until I realized a burning wasp can fly pretty far. I had to run after them and stomp them out. Fun while it lasted.

noelekal likes this.
  12. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 13, 2018

Yellow jackets are the most common flying devils here. The hairspray flamethrower appeals. I'm allergic to wasp stings so avoid them at all costs. I've been taking the easy (and chicken) way out for years, using "instant wasp stiffener," a half a juice glass of gasoline tossed on the nest early in the day before they are really active.

Gas hits hits them. They drip off dead, without a wiggle.

13. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 13, 2018

Anybody here have a new Glock 45? Next gun show I’ll look at one. Could go to regular gun shop, but the gun show gives me the reason to be looking at stuff for 3 or 4 hours. Kinda anticipating the regular old G5 17’s and 19’s will drop in price.

noelekal likes this.
  14. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Oct 13, 2018

A few years back a young man pointed a 45 automatic at my face.

Kind of lost interest in guns after that.

15. Wryfox Oct 13, 2018

Hehehe. The true definition of gun control.

BTW, if you want to step up to 10mm, the Glock 40 is absolute dynamite.

16. McKinley Oct 13, 2018

That would have the opposite effect on me. I would become an even more staunch gun guy and increase my interest in firearms even more.......and anyone who knows me at all would say that was impossible. Just thinking about that happening to me is pissing me off and think about carrying a back up piece in addition to my EDC. Boy, my wife going to be mad at you when I tell her I need another gun.

McK

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  17. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 13, 2018

They get over it. Mine has go over it about 20 times or so by now.

18. McKinley Oct 13, 2018

Just 20? Shit, you aren't pushing the envelope even a little. Check back for some pics I posted of just the hand guns within my reach I posted one time. And, @noelekal correctly identified them all.

McK

19. Waltesefalcon Oct 15, 2018

Delta Elite is the way to go in 10mm.

noelekal likes this.
  20. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 15, 2018

I'm enthused about the 10mm!

I like the notion of that 6-inch barrel on the Glock 40. Too much of an ol' fogy to accept Glock triggers and all that plastic though. It's gotta be the steel Colt Delta Elite for me.

I know. I'm hopelessly out-of-style.

Waltesefalcon likes this.