Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Wryfox Jan 18, 2018

Those Interarms actions are smooth as butter. I've owned several Mark X in various small calibers. They always seem to go to better homes as I have none currently. One thing about them...I've found they benefit from just a tad of pressure at the forend tip against the barrel. For me anyway they didn't seem to like free floating, but they were rather thin barrels...yours appears heavier, likely due to caliber. And shorter is good too to minimize barrel whip....I have an awesome barrel whip video that'll blow you mind just how much barrels flex while firing(if I can figure how to put it on youtube...never done that before but if a 10yr old can do it well...::book::).

I did the ladder method years ago to develop a load for a Rem 700 in 7mm. The difference between firing at an accuracy "node" vs not was 1.5" groups to holes touching. Only diff was powder weight(ie velocity).

2. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 18, 2018

I hear you about free floating barrels after I get the rifle up and shooting I can always play around with the barrel channel. Some rifles like free floating some like pressure on the tip as you mentioned. If it shoots good free floating I'll leave well enough alone if not time to play with the barrel channel. I will try to get the rifle to shoot 1 inch or less at a 100 yards if not time to play around with the rifle. So far I have been trying to keep this project low $$ buck. Parts add up quick. I missed a good gun show last weekend. Some shows are great to find low cost parts. I used up most of my spare parts for these project rifles. Time to stock up on the goodies.

Wryfox likes this.
  3. Wryfox Jan 18, 2018

Barrel whip in slow motion!

Admittedly it is exaggerated by the muzzle-brake, but still shows what happens to your barrel upon firing.

voere likes this.
  4. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 18, 2018

Great video
    I was looking through my junk boxes of parts and managed to put together a sight combination that will work. Not my favorite setup but it will work. I would have a hard time living with a rifle without iron sights. I'll put use qd scope bases for the scope and have the best of both worlds.

rs.jpg 017.jpg
  5. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 21, 2018

Plans change
    I just picked up a nice stock for the Interarms. I'll use the laminated stock on a 1909 argentine dwm that will be my next project rifle. With a little work "fitting" on this stock it will be a keeper for me.

vz1.jpg vz6.jpg
    Wryfox and noelekal like this.
  6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 21, 2018

What cartridge is the rifle chambered for voere? Is that an " 06" I see roll marked on the left side of the barrel? .30-06 is my favorite center fire rifle cartridge. That's an exciting rifle in that nice laminated stock!

Here's an Interarms Mark X in 7X57 on a day out at the range.

[​IMG]

"Old School" Lyman All American 6X in good steel Redfield base and rings.
    [​IMG]

Its best group of that day.
    [​IMG]

voere likes this.
  7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 21, 2018

Whoa! Things changed with the Mauser since I posted.

Saw the Ruger 10/22 posted. Never really admired the 10/22. Never really thought that much about them one way or the other. Picked up one a couple years ago that was a little bit different. It's a very early production 10/22 from 1964 with a low 4-digit serial number. Has a rather good, dense and heavy piece of plain walnut for a stock and the butt plate and barrel band are of aluminum rather than plastic like the later ones. It intrigued me because of the serial number and the as-new condition.
    [​IMG]
    Other than some limited range shooting I'm not sure what I have in mind for it. It seems too nice to customize or bang up through use.

voere likes this.
  8. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 21, 2018

Nice Mauser
    It's a 30.06 good all around caliber. The barrel has been shortened to 21 inches and re crowned. I need to drop off the rifle at the refinisher to have a matt finish put on. Now most of the rifle is in the white. The rifle had a few pits that I removed. When the Interarms rifle came to me the butt of the original stock was toast.

The rifle was caught in a flood and about six inches of the butt stock was like cork. I could put my finger through the wood. So the stock had to be replaced. I'm going to use Talley light weight two piece rings and a Leupold VX2 scope. For now this project will work out ok. After I get the rifle in shooting form.

I will hunt and for some nice iron sights and a barrel band swivel for the rifle. I do not want to pay big $$ for the parts. So those parts will take time to find. I'm used to finding these type parts at gun shows in junk boxes for pennies on the dollar. I enjoy the hunt for the parts. After I round up the parts then I will have the stock checkered. For me these type project rifles are done in baby steps a little at a time.

Nice Interarms you have the Lyman scope is also nice, 7x57 is a great caliber. Your Ruger is sweet I pick them up when the price is right they make for a nice 22 for a young shooter or any shooter. I start out the young shooters in my family with bolt action 22's the on to the 10/22's NICE group with your Interarms if I can get those results I would be more than happy

noelekal likes this.
  9. Rodmar Jan 21, 2018

Just paid for a Norinco AK with the furniture I already wanted for a great price off of GB.
    Can’t wait to get it in next week!

noelekal and voere like this.
  10. Wryfox Jan 22, 2018

I have a crazy passion for good wood (what man doesn't like good wood? (snicker snicker))

Its one of the reasons I enjoy vintage firearms, especially Weatherbys. Old Weatherbys have the best wood ever.

Check out the fire on this Mk V ...
    pix2398465046.jpg

11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 22, 2018

Love me some fancy wood too. That Weatherby stock puts on a spectacular show.

12. Wryfox Jan 22, 2018

Or maybe some old custom wood on vintage 1950s Win 1894...
    1952 Win 1894 Burl Walnut -8.jpg

Or a nice Weatherby Olympian O/U

Wthby Olympian 12GA-2.JPG

Or a nice Spgfld 1903 with custom wood...
    1903-A3 Fancy Burl Stock -5.jpg

Or a Benelli Super 90 Shotgun...
    BENELLI-3.JPG

Or one of my favorites...Browning A5 with factory custom English Walnut. Oh MY! Regrettably the photo shows only 1/10 the true beauty and depth. These are all record keeping pics...so they were not taken to highlight anything but what the gun is. I'll have to try this again with different camera....
    BROWNING A5 ENGLISH WALNUT - 3.jpg

I'll dig up others I have later....

13. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 22, 2018

Your stock is spectacular really looks great

14. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 22, 2018

Plan change again for me it will be more cost effective to use the stock I posted on my next build. It's a 1909 argentine dwm. I will trick that one out. For me to fit the Interarms into the stock. I would need to file the stock to take the commercial safety that's on the Interarms. On the 1909 I will use a three position safety. A much cleaner look. The laminated stock will be ok on the Interarms.

I just came back from the refinisher he said a week or two and he will have the matte finish done. He is quick however his turn around time is great in my book. Using the stock I posted will be more cost effective on the 1909. On the 1909 the action will be blue printed along with a new barrel it will be chambered in 30.06. These project rifle take time to figure out selecting the correct parts to use. And trying to find the parts for pennies on the dollar.

This is an interesting stock the top of the stock has a cut out which is odd. Only thing I can figure it's so you don't bang the bolt on the stock when you remove the bolt. Which it's still possible to do. Makes for a interesting conversation piece.

vz17.jpg
    Edited Jan 22, 2018
    noelekal likes this.
  15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 22, 2018

Love figured wood but don't have many examples. I do have an exhibition grade Fajen classic stock on hand cut for the 1903 Springfield sporter. I just need to do the sporter up in order to make use of it.

How about a genuine military contract M14 stock installed on this M1A, very dense and heavy with some really nice figure. If it was properly sanded and finished it'd be eye-popping. Obtained years ago from a place called Freds' who once offered "deals" on the odd fancy figured M14 stocks he occasionally found within his heaping mounds of surplus G.I. M14 stocks.
    [​IMG]

A factory custom ordered Winchester Model 12 Skeet Grade from 1941. I obtained this gun from the original owner who ordered it out of Winchester. While it's a super scarce Winchester custom option on a Model 12, I wish he'd not ordered the gun with a factory-installed Cutts compensator. It's handy with its interchangeable chokes but it's unsightly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

georgeszaslavsky, Uniqez and voere like this.
  16. Wryfox Jan 22, 2018

You know, the model 12 is one of the greatest shotgun designs ever, maybe the best. Dead solid, Fast slamfire shooting (ala 1897 style), Takedown design, and beautiful finish and wood. I've seen std 12s with wood that good, and some high grade that are spectacular.

The first thing I do when I go into a gun shop and scan the racks for figured wood. Half the time I see something pretty, its a vintage Model 12. They always stick out in a lineup.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don't own a model 12, simply because once they really caught my eye, my shoulder couldn't take pump gun recoil anymore, but they are beautiful.

The others I lust over are Win 101s.

noelekal likes this.
  17. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 22, 2018

Grew up with Model 12 Winchesters and have most often had one in the duck blind or the dove fields for all of my life.

I'm uncertain about sustaining pump gun recoil presently. I think recoil from any 12 gauge would turn me inside out just now as I've been recovering from surgery since November 30th. Missed deer and duck season because of it and I'm plenty "pooch-mouthed" about it.

18. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 22, 2018

Very nice firearms both classics your Model 12 is awesome

19. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 22, 2018

Here's a sneak peek of the Interarms with the scope I will use. In the picture I had to determine the ring height. So I taped several pennies to the top of the receiver.

001 (1).JPG
    noelekal and Waltesefalcon like this.
  20. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 22, 2018

I've always liked the look of a good laminated custom stock. Not most of the stuff served up these days but stocks with pleasing contrast and "swirly"figure.

When I was a teen, I recall seeing the ads in the early 1970s gun rags promoting Harry Lawson thumb-hole stocks. I liked both the wild wood figure the stocks featured as well as the laminated versions offered. I thought if I could have a rifle with one of those Lawson laminated thumb-hole stocks then I would have "arrived."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

georgeszaslavsky and Uniqez like this.