Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Bulldozer Dec 25, 2017

When I were living near to Edmonton in Alberta Canada, I went down to the fire arms range and was taught to handle and and load and fire and check the weapon was clear. Being a Bond fan I fired a 9mm Walther PPK and a 9mm Beretta a Glock 9mm and I had to try a a .44 Magnum. It was a good experience and I hit the targets and although I enjoyed the experience it is not something that I have pursued since I moved to Portugal.

Edited Dec 25, 2017
  2. Professor Dec 25, 2017

Interesting Bond fact.
    The silenced pistol Bond used in Thunderball was not a PPK. They did not have a PPK with threaded barrel handy so they borrowed a silencer equipped FN /Browning pistol.
    They switched out the guns so it appears he is using the PPK. Connery got frustrated trying to unscrew the silencer and yanked it off ruining the fine threading on the barrel..
    The FN 1910/1922 series could be silenced by taking the longer barrel of the 1922 threading it, then fitting it to the 1910 pistol or fitting a shorter 1910 slide and nose cap to the 1922 pistol frame and barrel.

Bulldozer likes this.
  3. kwiklot Dec 26, 2017

Between watches and firearms I think I will live in a cardboard box lined with my guns.
    Decisions decisions.

noelekal likes this.
  4. demchocholips Jan 3, 2018

Acquired my first firearm a few months back. Picked up a Glock 34. So far, I’ve put 500 rounds through it. I’m starting to get the feel of shooting it and look forward to growing my capability as I continue to enjoy this hobby.

SmokyT and noelekal like this.
  5. hotwheels Jan 4, 2018

16 shot semi auto shotgun to keep me warm during the winter.... IMG_3918.JPG

voere, Wryfox and noelekal like this.
  6. strick9 Jan 4, 2018

I got guns 15 or so but this is a picture of my Smith and Wesson .40 Flashlight pretty much all defense weapons in my collection I live in the big city

flashlight.jpg
    voere and hotwheels like this.
  7. Wryfox Jan 15, 2018

So I'm tooling around the local army surplus store the other day and they have some unusual stuff. They have an air rifle laying on a back counter and I asked about it. Long story short, I like the look of it so brought it home. My neighbor has some pest birds pooping on his roof so I thought maybe I'd help him out but needed something with more range. This is a Webley Tomahawk (coolest airgun name I've seen) in 22 cal rather than 177. $150 as shown out the door.

Very slick air rifle, has weight and heft of real rifle. Even has a cool looking muzzlebrake (seriously?). Very smooth operation and adjustable trigger. The pellets shown are plinkers but shoot fine(Premier Piranha..another cool name!). The internet says this rifle likes heavier pellets but air guns are not popular at all around here so I doubt I could find anything other than what I have. In fact, I haven't seen a serious air rifle like this in years(more like15-20yrs). We are the land of an AR15 in every closet.
    20171228_113952.jpg

strick9, voere and noelekal like this.
  8. Wryfox Jan 15, 2018

More Air Rifles, you say? OK. Here is the Gamo "Whisper"(again with the cool names). 177cal with integral silencer. How loud can an air rifle be? Well, the 350 Magnum I posted(look a couple pages back) will crack your ear inside a garage. So loud you can't shoot in an enclosed space. This Gamo is very quiet, even in a garage....so it's very effective....but not silent.

20180115_135535.jpg
    voere and noelekal like this.
  9. Wryfox Jan 15, 2018

On a roll? you bet!

If you felt testosterone deprived talking about air rifles, but still like smallbore....here's a nice vintage 22.

US Army Heavy Target Rifle M12 w/period correct Balvar 24x scope.

I have the Olympic iron sights for it as well. Sweet package. One hole at 50yds.

20180115_135427.jpg

voere and noelekal like this.
  10. axl911 Jan 15, 2018

There are many of us who live like that.

Edited Jan 15, 2018
  11. Professor Jan 15, 2018

I like pump up pneumatics and CO2 myself but the spring piston guns do generate more energy on target.
    I prefer the under lever guns to the barrel cockers.
    A Browning branded underlever is sometimes offered for under 200 USD, been considering one of these next time they are on sale.
    The Air Arms TX200 is a real beauty but high dollar.

12. WineGuyd Jan 15, 2018

noelekal likes this.
  13. Professor Jan 16, 2018

I likes it too.
    I picked up a junker Ruger Single Six awhile back, a very old .22 Magnum specific model. It looked like it had been used to drive tent pegs and the exterior was badly rusted.
    I spent some time sanding away the pitting then polishing it mirror bright. I had to do a bit of work on squaring up the opening in the frame but it now functions normally. Still have to make a pair of grips for it. Since I only have 20 USD in it I'm darned if I'll spend good money on a set of grips when I can make better ones than I've seen for sale at ridiculous prices.

14. jricketts65 Jan 16, 2018

I am a pretty big gun guy, I don't have many black rifles, but lots of wood furnished stuff and handguns.

Mtek and McKinley like this.
  15. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 17, 2018

This evening I spent a couple hours sorting out some older scopes. I'll put this swift scope to use on this Ruger 10/22

004.jpg
    noelekal and Professor like this.
  16. Professor Jan 17, 2018

Good looking gun you have there.
    I like the 10/22 though I don't own one, its a great design.
    Closest I have is a Marlin Model 99/M1. When new it vaguely resembled a .30 Carbine only because it was about the same length and had a hand guard and stock band.
    I got this one dirt cheap because it was beat all to heck and the detachable receiver sight was missing.
    I modified the stock and handguard to more closely resemble the Carbine wood and made a early type M1 band from an old Mauser upper band.
    I was given a replica Carbine rear sight off an airsoft gun, but I haven't figured out how to mount it yet, and the front sight that came with it is far too short. I just stuck a 4X20 Tasco on it and called it a day. Quite a shooter though. Light and handy as it gets while remaining a serious small game getter.

17. tikkathree Jan 17, 2018

Well I'm new to this forum but not to firearms.

Over the course of oh 20 years I've had a go at most things. I'm right handed but with left master eye so shotgunning - what my American cousins describe as wing shooting - is not my best discipline. I went through black powder flint muzzle loaders in pistol and long arm, cap and ball revolver, falling block. So for a long time I've been a rifle shooter, mostly game, vermin but some informal target comps especially historic smallbore military training rifles all of which went to feed the watch habit. Right now I'm left with a Sako Finnfire Range .22, fullbore rifles in 6mmBR, .243 and 7mmWSM. I'm usually out stalking deer once a week.

Professor likes this.
  18. Professor Jan 17, 2018

Have you tried a cast off stock?
    I'm not normally left eye dominate but due to surgery to repair a damaged eye socket vision of my left eye will occasionally become much better than my right, sometimes near 20/20 for weeks at a time. When this happens I leave my glasses off when pistol shooting, using my right hand and left eye.
    Don't know why this happens, I suspect internal swelling around the implant distorts the shape of the eye till the swelling subsides.

19. Wryfox Jan 17, 2018

A trip a few years ago to Afghanistan...weapons bazaar. Delightful people.

Lots of old antiques, some modern decorative copies. None worthy of shooting and not considered firearms per se due to age so brought some home. I think I posted before one of the items I did shoot..a pistol version of Enfield rifle. Hell of a frieball. I'll see if I can find it.
    photoagdsgadsg.jpg photo56u56hu65.JPG photo5j6j567jki75.jpg photoetyrtuertyu.jpg photofjgyuj7j.jpg photofsdfasfasf.JPG photohsytejtuykj.jpg phototeyjetnntk.jpg

Edited Jan 18, 2018
    Ranger230, noelekal, any4xx and 2 others like this.
  20. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 18, 2018

Finishing up a project rifle Mauser K98 I had this project on the back burner for too long time to finish the rifle up. The rifle came to me after it was caught in a flood. The original stock was toast. I found a good deal on a stock from a Remington 798 the price was good so it was a no brainer to use the stock.

I removed the original sights, shortened and re crowned the barrel. I had to do some wood work around the safety to get it to operate properly. I bedded the stock free floated the barrel and I have been removing pitting from the metal. Now it's good enough to drop off at the refinisher to have a matte finish done. I'll go low buck with a bead blasted blue finish. I'll leave the bolt high polished just for another look.

The stock is a laminate which is good it should not warp. For a spare rifle it will be fine. I would like to put sights on the rifle however the cost for the sights I like would be too $$ rich for this project rifle. I'll refinish the stock after I get the rifle up and shooting. I like to do the stocks last on these projects. These projects keep me busy and out of trouble with my better half my "wife".

001.JPG 006.JPG 009.JPG 014.JPG