Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Wryfox Nov 30, 2017

I have dabbled with airguns, mostly cause here in US you can use non taxed silencers on them as they are not firearms,...its always fun to legally thumb one's nose at the gov't once and a while. One rifle has it built in and is pretty quiet. Many think "oh its an airgun..there's no noise" well if you shooting in your garage at 1100fps+, its pretty damn loud...in fact you need hearing protection.

I've got an RWS/Diana 350 Magnum (fancy name, eh?) that is VERY zippy and one hole accurate at 10m. Have just enough room in the garage for that.
    RWS Magnum 350 177cal -1.jpg

Have a BUNCH of black powder stuff too but never seem to find the time to dig in and play around with those dirty old beasts.

Kja and noelekal like this.
  2. Professor Dec 3, 2017

The term silencer was used by the inventor and everyone else in the day.
    In the UK they used to call engine exhaust mufflers silencers. Same principle.

A truly effective Maxim type silencer with end wipe mounted on a .22 handgun firing .22 short or subsonic long rifle cartridges is so quiet the only sound you'll hear is the action cycling and ejected empties hitting the ground. A Ruger auto pistol in .22 sounds like a cat sneezing.
    I've heard the pew sound at times, not from the shot but from gas slowly making its way past the end wipe after the shot. Sometimes if the wipes are still sealing as new its a sizzling sound.

When supersonic ammunition is used the best you can expect is to suppress the muzzle blast.

noelekal and Waltesefalcon like this.
  3. TsoloT Dec 3, 2017

45 ACP in a accurised 1911 185grn bullet Remington primer plus bullseye powder 12 shots

821748BE-A2F4-4D09-A961-A6B54659153D.jpeg
    Ranger230, noelekal, CTS-V and 2 others like this.
  4. Professor Dec 3, 2017

Excellent shooting.
    My old Remington Rand 1911A1 was nearly as accurate when using the copper coated Remington 185 gr flat point target loads. These had nickle plated cases for better extraction.

noelekal likes this.
  5. TsoloT Dec 3, 2017

Remington made an excellent 1911 in fact they were quite desirable as I remember and of course their target loads were capable of sub 1 inch groups at 25yds

The colt gold cup which was created to satisfy the demand of the USA center fire compeditors was often no better than the out of the box Remington
    I think the Springfield armoury s offering was also pretty good and was often the choice of the customising crowd

6. Professor Dec 3, 2017

The Remington Rand I owned was a WW2 manufacture gun made by the Remington Rand typewriter company not the Remington firearms company. They had never made firearms before. The first run had parts interchangeability problems so most were carefully hand fitted, and are considered the best of the military 1911 pistols. Unfortunately if one needed replacement parts the standard parts often would not fit without alterations.

McKinley likes this.
  7. jimdgreat1 Dec 5, 2017

My latest CMP garand. Field grade Springfield from March of 45.

20171204_194055.jpg

MrBuhl, noelekal, voere and 7 others like this.
  8. Professor Dec 5, 2017

I think it was Ian Hogg who wrote that the Garand has the robust lines of a Locomotive.

9. RC03 Dec 18, 2017

Nice Garand! That's on my bucket list too.

Currently I have a Rem 700 SPS in .308, a S&W Model 29 .44 (Make my day) and a WWII Kar98k that was taken/purchased/etc by the Israelis and rechambered/barrelled in 7.62/.308 after the war.

10. Waltesefalcon Dec 19, 2017

Because I don't like using a WWI era 1911 as my winter EDC I just picked up a late 80s Colt Delta Elite.

noelekal likes this.
  11. pixnw Dec 19, 2017

Interesting reading the early messages on suppressors in this thread. They are very much legal in many parts of the US. I own several. I'm a serious gun enthusiast. My son and I both shoot competitively, build guns, do gunsmith work, reload, etc. Our gun safe is a 400 square foot walk in. The 2nd Amendment is alive and well in our home. Some of the watches get locked with some of the guns.

noelekal, Wryfox and i20rider like this.
  12. i20rider Dec 20, 2017

SmokyT, noelekal, CTS-V and 2 others like this.
  13. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 20, 2017

I see we have the same tastes in firearms. The Winchesters made for the civilian market during the war years are the closest to a hand fitted rifle you will find. During the war years the production was dedicated to making military firearms,. gunsmiths at Winchester had to use parts that were discarded from prior years assembly lines.

They were parts that were not just drop in parts. The parts needed work to make them fit properly. The parts required hand fitting. These 94's built during the war years are great rifles with very slick actions and sweet triggers.
    I have a couple of them the 32 Win Spl is a great round

A friend of mine was a gunsmith at Winchester during that time period he shared the tidbit of information with me many years ago, And since then I always kept an eye out for these war year production M94's.

009.JPG
    Edited Dec 20, 2017
  14. Professor Dec 22, 2017

Best explanation I've read of why Winchester chose to create the .32 Special which is so close to the .30-30 and has a very slow rate of twist was that a number of Model 92 .30-30 owners had managed to blow up their rifles experimenting with smokeless powder handloads, few powder makers of the time having gotten the consistency from lot to lot down pat. The .32 special allowed the Model 94 owner to use either smokeless powder factory loads, which were perfectly safe, or to handload using Black Powder and lead bullets intended for the .32-40 cartridge.

If you are interested W W Greener wrote quite a bit on inconsistent smokeless powders and the degradation of such powders which destroyed many fine rifles and shotguns of his day.

PS
    I was hesitant to list my firearms earlier, but heres a partial list, only my best.
    A 1915 Enfield Lock with PH5A six apeture sun shade sight I have yet to mount.
    A FN 1922 low numbered early Yugoslav contract 9mm Kurtz.
    A S&W early production Model 59.
    A 1920's S&W "I" Frame .32 Handejector.
    A 1920's era Savage Model 23B .25-20 bolt action in excellent mechanical condition with perfect bore.
    I have others but they are more or less generic, nothing to brag about.

Ones that got away from me over the years.
    A Krag .30-40 calvary carbine. The sound you hear is me kicking myself for the thousandth time for trading it off.
    A pre WW2 .38 Officers model target with US Army inspectors GHD cartouche.
    The Remington Rand 1911A1 I mentioned earlier.
    Model 12 Winchester in the uncommon 16 gauge, takedown model.
    Blank Firing Japanese drill rifle.

I've basically lost interest in shooting these days, other than occasional airgun practice. I was always more interested in the mechanisms of fine firearms more than in firing them.

Edited Dec 22, 2017
    noelekal and Waltesefalcon like this.
  15. Wryfox Dec 23, 2017

That's my dream! If only my wife would let me use the guest bedroom......who needs guests? I've got all the friends I need, and they won't mind sleeping on the floor when I have a safe like that to play around in.:thumbsup:

McKinley likes this.
  16. Waltesefalcon Dec 23, 2017

I was bored today so I took some pictures.

DSCF0203.JPG DSCF0213.JPG DSCF0888.JPG DSCF0886.JPG DSCF0844.JPG DSCF0838.JPG DSCF0877.JPG DSCF0873.JPG DSCF0867.JPG DSCF0855.JPG
    SmokyT, voere, McKinley and 2 others like this.
  17. Professor Dec 23, 2017

Nice single actions.
    I do have a nice replica 1851 Navy. haven't taken it out for so long I'd forgotten it completely.
    My brother had a original 1854 manufacture 1851 that was dug up in a farmers field in the mid 20th century, still in firing condition though a bit worse for its years underground. His son should still have it.

Waltesefalcon and noelekal like this.
  18. Waltesefalcon Dec 24, 2017

Professor, that is a great story about the original 1851. I try and keep my eyes open for an original cap and ball revolver but so far I haven't been willing to pay what folks are asking.
    I really enjoy shooting black powder. Full disclosure on my SAA; it is an Uberti, the grips came with the medallions and I just left them in. The Remington is a Pietta and the Walker is an Armi San Marco.

noelekal and Professor like this.
  19. Professor Dec 24, 2017

You'd have really liked the battlefield pick up Nazi acceptance marked FN P-35 I had here some years ago. A friend found it while clearing up his father in law's home after he died.
    The finish was a bit worse for wear and weathered but the gun was still functional.
    Despite its collectability I didn't much like having it in the house. When I read of a bronze plaque in the FN company parking lot telling of more than two dozen Employees lined up and executed by the NAZIs because they refused to make weapons for them that decided me.

Kja likes this.
  20. Retromlc Dec 24, 2017

I have a Perazzi MX8 12 guage beautiful shotgun

noelekal likes this.