Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Wryfox Nov 22, 2017

I used to do ALOT of handloading and chronographing back in the day (how about a 30-378Wthby with saboted 40g 22cal solid at 5200fps? woohoo)

I loaded for old revolvers as well, one being a 1892 made S&W No 3 in 38-44Target(a very cool cartridge in many ways, google it to learn more), carved the cases out of 357 magnum. Anyway, always load light for 1800s handguns, and discovered in the process that below a certain speed your eye can see the travel of the bullet quite clearly. I determined the speed at which you can see the bullet travel to the target is 650fps. Actually kind of fun to do this and watch it arc over.

BTW, Annie Oakley used a No 3 in 38-44 Target(among many others but she personally liked the No 3). My serial number is the same year as hers and only a few serial numbers off. Kinda neat.
    I have several other No 3s but this is my favorite.

S&W No 3 Target 38-44 Right.jpg

Waltesefalcon, GGG964 and noelekal like this.
  2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 22, 2017

That revolver has always been my personal notion of the most attractive revolver ever built. Graceful, elegant, even stately could describe it. Nothing else quite like a Smith & Wesson No. 3.

Oh, and I'm envious, so envious.

5200 fps! Never heard of velocities so high being achieved!

4255 fps was the highest velocity I ever saw over the chronograph screen and that was from a pokey ol' long-barreled .220 Swift.

Swifts. A Ruger 77V and an early Winchester Model 70, both in .220 Swift.
    [​IMG]

voere, Ranger230 and Wryfox like this.
  3. Wryfox Nov 22, 2017

McCoullough Custom Wthby MKV in 30-378...32" Krieger heavy barrel. 124g powder and Saboted 40g 22cal solid bronze bullet. Why solid? I learned that anything with a core literally explodes due to air friction upon leaving the barrel above 4600FPS...just a puff and its gone. The interesting thing about ultra high velocities is that it superheats the air...effectively turning every bullet into a tracer round..and orange glow follows the bullet. Accuracy sucks though...this is literally the limit of gunpowder burn speed. That little 40g bullet turns a milk jug into a cloud of vapor **instantaneously**....no splash, no drops, just vapor...Poof! God that was fun, but hell on a rifle. I think I cut those experiments off at about 80rds to save the barrel.

I gotta dig up the 50BMG data..how about a nice 300g Soft Point hunting round at 4000FPS? What!!?? The secret to this is astonishing actually....since 50bmg is actually 51caliber...no 50cal bullets will work right? Except one...an 1880s 50-110 uses a 51caliber bullet, and works perfect. I think I used about 275g of powder.

Pic is of 223 rem on left (for size comparison), then 30-378 Wthby w/40g solid, then 50bmg in 300g SP.
    20171122_130956.jpg

Edited Nov 22, 2017
    GGG964 and noelekal like this.
  4. GGG964 Nov 22, 2017

nothing special in terms of collectibility, but i enjoy them very much. Someday i will learn how to snap a proper picture. My apologies haha

Generation 2 Walther PPS
    Walther PPK 380
    CZ P-01
    CZ P-01 Omega suppressor ready. Attached is a Silencerco Octane 45
    Sig "Tac ops" 1911

IMG_2639.jpg IMG_2877.jpg
  5. Wryfox Nov 22, 2017

Sure, move that silly watch out of the way of those fine firearms......::bleh::

GGG964 likes this.
  6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 22, 2017

GGG964; I'm kinda a fan of CZ guns. Their entire line, long guns and handguns more resemble now what American gun manufacturers turned out back when. The quality is appealing.

Wryfox; that is one funny-looking .50 caliber, what with that stubby round nose bullet perched up there on top. I like "post-graduate" handloading and you certainly take handloading to an extreme experimental level.

Wryfox likes this.
  7. GGG964 Nov 22, 2017

I'm surprised more people aren't fans of the CZ brand. The alloy frame designs are really appealing for lower recoil, and just simply the fact that they are metal rather than composite plastic is nice IMO. Their trigger systems are also a plus, especially their Omega triggers.

Rodmar and noelekal like this.
  8. Wryfox Nov 22, 2017

I really dig the CZ 75 style. I've had several over the years but the double stack mag is a problem for my hands. I've got short fingers and can't reach the trigger! I have to rotate my hand around to reach but truly love the design. I've had 9mm, 10mm, and 45acp but eventually swapped them for something smaller. The same for Sig handguns..all I've got left is a P220(45) and a P6(9mm), both single stack.

GGG964 likes this.
  9. GGG964 Nov 22, 2017

The grip design on the 75's are definitely fatter than they need be to accommodate a double stacked magazine. I tried to carry the black p-01 inside the waste band, and the handle made it pretty uncomfortable! If you prefer narrower guns, you might enjoy the PPS. Obviously it has a limited capacity due to the single stacked magazine, but I find that it is a really well balanced gun for how short the barrel is and just how thin the grip is.

10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 22, 2017

Only CZ product on the place, but I think highly of it and enjoy using it. Would like to sample more CZ products, particularly the rifles.

[​IMG]

voere and GGG964 like this.
  11. McKinley Nov 22, 2017

20171122_162642.jpg 20171122_162708.jpg 20171122_162714.jpg 20171122_162719.jpg

Does this qualify as an "interest"? I have several friends and a wife who call it an obsession. But, we all know whose house they will be headed to when the shit hits the fan, don't we? These were just the ones in the room with me, in easy reach when I took the pictures......and just the Colt and Smith handguns, nothing else....so yeah....I 'm braggin' a bit. But these are some of my favorite things. I was thinking I had a need for another Smith revolver as I took the pics, but if I had bothered to go into the next room and reach under the bed, I could have filled that "hole". The Python in the display case is from 1974 and has been factory fired only. I guess it is the cream of this crop. Hope you enjoy the pics and I passed the test. :D

McK

12. Wryfox Nov 22, 2017

Somethin' about a Smith that just feels right in the hand:thumbsup:

And yes you are braggin'...so just keep it up, Sir and you'll fit right in....

noelekal and McKinley like this.
  13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 22, 2017

OOOooo... McKinley! Classics all, found in your photos!

Be still my heart. Not one, but three Colt Woodsman pistols, all representing different variants of that iconic .22 automatic pistol. A 4-inch Python. I have a 6-inch Python but have always thought the 4-inch is the best barrel length. Some fine pre-war Colt double-action revolvers represented there and in really nice condition too. Are we seeing a 5-inch Official Police and a 4-inch Police Positive Special? For which calibers are those chambered? Also a crisp little Colt Model M automatic. Is it a Model 1903 in .32 ACP or a Model 1908 in .380 ACP? There's a Colt Trooper. Is it a Mark V or an earlier Mark III? One nickel Detective Special or perhaps it's a Cobra too.

There's some genuine Smith & Wesson goodness to be found as well. Are we seeing an 4-inch L-Frame 686, a 4-inch Model 66, and a 4-inch nickel Model 19, all .357 Magnums? Across from them appear to be late 1950s to mid-1960s Model 17 K-22 Masterpiece and Model 14 K-38 Masterpiece revolvers. Their diamond walnut Magna stocks are noted. Below the K-Models are a pair of Model 34 .22s, one square butt and one round butt followed by a Model 60.

Everything looks to be in top condition and spic-and-span.

Waltesefalcon and McKinley like this.
  14. McKinley Nov 22, 2017

Noelekal, you have a very good eye. I am impressed. I love my Colt Woodsmans, they are fine little 22's, very accurate.....as a Colt should be. I agree with you on the 4" bbl belief. Long enough for both accuracy and to make full use of the powder. You are correct on your call of the OP and the Police Positive as well. Both are chambered in 38 Special. The Model M is a 1908 chambered in .380. The 6" Trooper is a MK III and barely has a turn line. The nickeled revolver is a DS 2nd series, from '72, it's last yr of manufacture. I have the box as well. I doubt more than 50 rounds have ever barked from it's bbl. Yes, the 686-2, the Model 66 no dash and the nickeled 19 are all 357 magnums. The model 17 is a no dash and the 14 is a -2. The 17 is from '59 and the 14 from my birth year '62. The Model 17 and I really get along well. She will find the black more often than not from 50 yards from a rest. You called the rest correctly as well. The Model 60 was an estate buy, a one owner gun, she is my ADED carry and I even use the previous owners holster so she feels at home. I have mentioned in other posts that I am a sentimental old fool for someone else's Dad's or Grandfather's firearms/watches. I own so many things I can't imagine giving up if they had been in or come from my family members. By collecting them, keeping them, cleaning them, using them, wearing them, and caressing them, I hope I am making their former owners happy and proud someone appreciates them. I take pride in buying only the top condition firearms and keeping them clean. Honoring them. I have friends who buy junk ring of fire guns, Tupperware guns and then never clean them properly. Then wonder why they can't hit the black of a target, or why their semi's stove pipe, or why their wives and girlfriends can't hit anything and don't enjoy shooting. I tell my wife "I will never put dog $hit in your hand and demand you make me an apple pie." I guess I am and have been called a "gun bigot." ;-) Again, nicely done on the identification, sir. I have a feeling we would enjoy a beer or 3 together AFTER a trip to the range.

McK

P.S. You missed the vintage Tyler T Grip on the Model 60 LOL

Edited Nov 22, 2017
  15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 22, 2017

I need to use better reading glasses when on Omega Forums. I didn't see the T-Grip in the shadow.

"... birthyear '62."

It's disgusting! You're the same age as my little sister. I'm older'n everybody.

I'm a pack rat too so, yeah, we'd get along famously.

McKinley likes this.
  16. Wryfox Nov 28, 2017

Lest anyone in America forget that the right to ownership of firearms is guaranteed by the US Constitution, I'll just go ahead and engrave it right on the gun.
    AR AK 2.JPG

17. Waltesefalcon Nov 28, 2017

Truly a lovely collection of Colts. That Python is a beauty and those Woodsmans, and that little pocket hamerless. Now I have to clean the drool up off of my keyboard.

McKinley likes this.
  18. Wryfox Nov 28, 2017

Came across pics of one of my favorite M1 Garands, and one of the rarest. Did you know Germany fielded US Garands after WWII? Did you know they were also authorized to make replacement parts for them as well?

Take a close look at the bolt...SuS (Sauer und Sohn), German made. Garand Prewar-2.JPG Garand Prewar-3.JPG

19. rbird7282 Nov 28, 2017

You can shoot a .22 all day without hearing protection if it's suppressed IMG_2605.JPG

Wryfox, noelekal, voere and 2 others like this.
  20. Professor Nov 30, 2017

Own a few nice ones but I'm more into airguns these days, more of a challenge.

My nicest vintage guns are a 1920's "I" Frame S&W and a .25-20 Savage nearly that old. Also a near mint early Yugoslavian contract FN 1922 with beautiful crest. My early production S&W Mod 59 is also near mint.

My favorite collectable CO2 pistols are my Crosman early production 38T and 38C revolvers with machined brass valve bodies and my S&W 78g which looks like the parent of the pistol shown above.
    I rebuilt the 78g with a "hot valve" that allows 467 FPS with the 14.3 gr CPHP pellets and 449 FPS with a 17.2 gr Superpoint.
    I also have a Crosman Mk1 that gives 400 FPS with the 14.3.
    All are pinpoint accurate out to 20 yards.
    My SSP 250 is a nice NOS I picked up recently. Exceptionally accurate, more accurate than I can hold. These have a quick change barrel feature to switch from .177 to .22..
    Building a custom .22 13XX series carbine, just ordered a custom aluminum breech with matching over size long probe bolt.

been gathering replica guns, Umarex products.
    Tanfoglio Witness 1911
    Nickel Colt Peacemaker BB revolver
    John Wayne Commemorative Colt in pellet version.
    Early production PPKS now worn out from playing with it, in need of a rebuild.

Edited Nov 30, 2017
    noelekal likes this.