Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 24, 2024

I was at the Smith & Wesson Symposium at Glen Dale, Arizona last June. We were set up next door to a table full of the Schofield variants of those Smith & Wesson No. 3 revolvers.

I apologize for the crummy camera photos.
    thumbnail-3.jpg

thumbnail-1.jpg

thumbnail-2.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

2. Wryfox Jan 24, 2024

OH MY OH MY OH MY!!! I have such a weak spot for break tops. My head says mechanically inferior, but my heart says mechanically beautiful.

Smith break tops were Wyatt Earp's favorites over the years of his life.....

Waltesefalcon and noelekal like this.
  3. Wryfox Jan 24, 2024

My S&W #3 New Model in 38-44 Target(from 1893). Just a few serial numbers off from the example that Annie Oakley used in the same caliber. Ammo is unobtanium for about 100yrs, so it was fun making cases that fit from 357magnum. The 38-44 is definitely an odd bird as the bullet resides completely below the rim of the case, much like 38SPL WC Target rounds.

Interesting to note that this has factory adjustable sights.

Thee weren't many New Models made, just 4,343(and only 1,413 were 38-44)

S&W No 3 Target 38-44 Right.jpg

Edited Jan 24, 2024
    Waltesefalcon and noelekal like this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 24, 2024

Beautiful!

Your target model is in the exact configuration that I like the very best for the Model 3: round butt, delicate, graceful 19th century target sights, that barrel length. That one is firmly entrenched in my notions for the single most attractive revolver to have ever been made.

I'd love to handload for and shoot a .38-44 No. 3!

I used to think the extra finger rest on the trigger guard on the Second Model No.3 was the "cat's meow" and added to the elegant appearance of the No. 3's sporting that feature, but came to view it much as tail fins on a '59 Cadillac, something frivolous and only in the way. The understated look of plain such as yours is better. Still, I'd love to shoot one with the finger rest dilly-wopper just to "test drive" it.
    [​IMG]

I really need to back off this watch hobby long enough to save my pennies so that I could obtain a decent example of a Smith & Wesson No. 3. Either that or find some tradin' goods in the gun safe.

Duracuir1, Waltesefalcon and Wryfox like this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 24, 2024

Oh, I missed posting one photo I'd intended to share.

thumbnail-4.jpg

6. Wryfox Jan 24, 2024

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!! Is that Original?

noelekal likes this.
  7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 24, 2024

I too and intrigued by break top revolvers. I have one Smith & Wesson 4th Model D. A .38. Yeah, they are less rigid and sturdy than a solid frame revolver, but they are very efficient for the user. A modern version of the Schofield or else the Webley seems eminently practical as a personal side arm. The old Webley double-action .455s have an action feel almost exactly like a mid-sized early 20th century Colt double-action revolver (think New Service or even the Python). Well, somewhat heavier than the Python action. When one peeks inside the Webley he sees much the same geometry, same V-Spring, only the Webley V-spring has the strength of the overload leaf springs on my dad's 3/4-ton '54 GMC pickup that he had when I was a kid. Refined, made of modern forged steel alloys, perhaps a blend of Smith & Wesson and Webley top break designs, it'd be a winner!

Break top revolvers are speedier to clear after shooting a full complement of cartridges than are the typical side-swing revolvers and, and with a speed loader like this Prideaux, they could be depended to keep up a high rate of fire.

My early Mark IV Webley .455 is shabby looking, but it's a solid shooter with a great ergonomic feel. Americans frequently deride the Webleys because of their appearance, but all Webleys, whether in .455 or the later .38/200 of World War II fame, have excellent grip frame dimensions that encourage great handling. My .455 features an early serial number that could date it to Boer War service. It's still in its original .455 chambering, the cylinder having never been cut for .45 ACP. Thousands were imported into the US in the 1950s having the cylinders machined to adapt them to the .45 ACP with moon clips. This one is a private purchase gun, sold through Army & Navy CSL (Cooperative Society Ltd.). Perhaps an officer purchase before going abroad? I have a photo of the original Webley ledger entry for this revolver, but the scribbling is illegible.
    [​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_%26_Navy_Stores_(United_Kingdom)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A very sturdy and easy to manipulate latching system.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If anyone can decode this I would be grateful.

An old photo of the two Webleys on hand here, the "Boer War" gun and a 1944 vintage Mark IV .38/200.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The .38 Webley with a couple of World War II Fairbairn Sykes fighting knives.

And yes, the 120+ Webley .455 is still taken seriously around here. I handload for .455 revolver and shoot the gun with mild loads. I also take it afield on rare occasions. A handy thing to know is that Webley .455 models will snuggle perfectly into N-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver holsters of the same barrel lengths. I have a few 4-inch Smith & Wesson revolver holsters on hand and the Webley infrequently rides on my hip when I'm out at our old family place on the lake. Once, I was there and mowing the yard around the old lake cabin, nearing the end of the chore. The tall grass was shrinking as I circled with the mower. Only a small island of tall stuff remained when a rat ran out of it, scampering across the mown portion to make his escape from the mower. Not wanting rats in or around the cabin, I snatched the Webley from its holster and snap shot the rat from about 10 feet as he ran, the big bullet grazing him, furrowing along the left side of his head, removing his left ear and left eye. It was a rather deep furrow.

[​IMG]

On an occasion the load was a bit too mild. My brother-in-law snapped this photo of my plight in between gales of laughter. A copper washed, truncated cone bullet intended for the .45 ACP behind a very mild charge of Red Dot powder stopped just short of exiting the barrel. Almost, but not quite nearly ...
    [​IMG]

8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 24, 2024

Yep. all original. One could have his choices of several snob watches for much of what is seen at one of these symposiums. And just think; there is also a Colt Collectors Association. There would be yummy stuff there as well!

Wryfox likes this.
  9. Ogion Jan 24, 2024

I have done 800 - 1000 yard target rifle at Bisley from time to time with iron sights on the Stickledown range. Grouping is usually above average but they have some of the world’s best shots there so easily outclassed. When more time frees up though, this will be a regular hobby. They have some great people at Bisley. Worth a visit if ever in UK

noelekal likes this.
  10. Wryfox Jan 24, 2024

On the scale of dumb things I've done, for some reason years ago I went through a period where I believed Webleys were inferior guns and sought to get rid of the several I had. Wish I had them back. But criminy, I've probably owned over a thousand firearms in my life, and its always the ones I gave up that I remember.

noelekal likes this.
  11. Wryfox Jan 24, 2024

For several years I shot 1000yd matches, and I often wondered, without modern tech, what accuracy really was over the history of firearms. And then I found this article(attached below). Can you imagine the difficulty of using blackpowder in 1861, and accomplishing such accuracy? Since then I've never really thought I was much of anything except the product of technology. I shot with regular police marksman, Army Snipers from Fort Benning(which was near the range I shot at), civilian benchrest shooters, long range hunters....really all manner of shooters. The army snipers were unquestionably the best, one of them being a retired fellow in his 60s shooting a Winchester 30-06. During practice he popped three shots at 1000 to confirm his zero, and because he was disabled he asked me to check the target. Went down to his target, did three double takes, and rushed back to him to report that his group was not only near center, but all three were within a 2" circle. He simply said "that's about right". My results were usually in the 1/2 to 1moa range(5-10" groups, depending on weather), which usually put me mid pack at the end of the day.

20230328_172207.jpg

12. lindo Jan 24, 2024

I recall fondly the long ago days I spent target shooting at up to 1000yds, starting when I was in my mid teens. At that time (1960s) Australian rifle club matches were only with SMLE No.3 and No.4 .303 rifles and military ammo supplied from government arms factories, so competitions were more about individual skills than custom built rifles and hand loaded ammunition. We were allowed to work on triggers and bedding/free floating the barrels but that was all. At long ranges reading the wind flags was a critical skill if you wanted a reasonable score. Getting shots into the bull at 1000yds was a real adrenaline rush.

13. Wryfox Jan 31, 2024

This is a little bit of an odd bird for me. But who new these even existed, eh? So rarely seen around these parts. Found at a gun show last weekend, languishing at the back of the rack of a guy selling a mishmash of old stuff.

An Egyptian Hakim rifle, 8MM Mauser. I have one in terrible condition I got ages ago and I honestly thought they all looked rather rabid given the environment of heat sand and dust storms. It did shoot well and was a hoot!

But this new dandy rifle is virtually 100%, pristine bore, nary a mark on it anywhere. I feel like a lucky duck!

Based off the Swedish AG M/42(6.5 Swede), the tooling sold to Egypt in the early 1950s where they 'upsized' the affair to their tastes to fire the 8MM Mauser, a much more powerful caliber. Only made about 70,000.

Its the only govt rifle I'm aware of that had a *real* muzzle brake (sorely needed and quite effective). 20240129_150934.jpg 20240129_150940.jpg 20240129_150946.jpg

Larry S, lindo, ghce and 2 others like this.
  14. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 31, 2024

Pretty nice!

Clean metalwork.

Highly effective rifle cartridge.

What's not to like?!

Wryfox likes this.
  15. setch Feb 4, 2024

Too funny...my collecting interests are shifting from firearms to watches. It's going from bad to worse!

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  16. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 4, 2024

More watches take up less space in a safe.

Waltesefalcon and setch like this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 5, 2024

Picked these up today after the 72 hour waiting period and a solid hour of paperwork. Ruger .22 Mk4 75th Anniversary and Springfield 9m Emissary. I put a box of shells through both. I know the Ruger as my buddy has the Mk2. The Springfield is smooth as silk. Both are very accurate. Sawed out the bullseyes at 21 ft very easily. Harder but still on target at 31 ft. Looking forward to becoming proficient at both. IMG_9405.jpeg

Duracuir1, Flysatchmo, Wryfox and 2 others like this.
  18. Wryfox Feb 6, 2024

9mm in a 1911 is very sweet shooting. The lower power combined with extra weight of the barrel helps a lot with control. I have a 9 and a few 38 supers(a little more kick but still less than 45), they all shoot great.

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 6, 2024

I was interested in a G34 at first but the sales guy talked me out of it. He was right. Sweet indeed.

Wryfox and noelekal like this.
  20. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 6, 2024

Yes, for fun and frolic at the range or for a pleasant afternoon plinking, a full sized 1911 gun in 9mm Luger is well worth it.
    [​IMG]

For more "starch" from a cartridge of the same bore diameter as the 9mm Luger the .38 Super well serves.
    [​IMG]
    I am unable to tell the difference in recoil between these two and I make use of some pretty "starchy" .38 Super loads.

Duracuir1, Larry S, CBM1590 and 3 others like this.