Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Wryfox Feb 6, 2024

Good Night, Irene! The Noelekal Museum of Fine Firearms never disappoints!!:thumbsup:

Edited Feb 6, 2024
    Larry S and noelekal like this.
  2. Father Time Feb 11, 2024

Many more besides these two!

Oh, it's happened!

I should say... if I show you, I'd have to kill ya. But here goes...

My passion is high grade .22 rifles & pistols. In other words, no black or plastic guns! Only gorgeous, highly figured, wood beauties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few with scratches and gold on 'em...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just to whet yer appetite.., there are a few more!

Edited Feb 11, 2024
    CBM1590, Duracuir1, noelekal and 4 others like this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 11, 2024

Yummy .22s! I love .22s! All kinds of classic, vintage .22s. I'm afraid that I'm running "The Home For Wayward .22s" here. Mine are more trash and treasures than are your beauties Father Time.

Father Time, Larry S and CBM1590 like this.
  4. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Feb 16, 2024

5. chicane Feb 16, 2024

Looks like they pulled it from this forum as well.

6. Waltesefalcon Feb 16, 2024

Well, you were looking at a twelve year old post.

JimInOz and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  7. Malthus101 Feb 17, 2024

Sadly in the UK where I currently am, guns are pretty much banned without a lot of hassle to get a "loicense"!

So I just drool over American channels and plan to move to a country one day which isn't so strict.

Depsite our strict gun laws, England does still make some beautiful guns - take this Westley Richards for example:

RC_03_Westley Richards - Bolt-Action Rifle_375 H&H.jpg

JimInOz, Father Time, CBM1590 and 3 others like this.
  8. 10mmauto Feb 17, 2024

No, my Photobucket account was closed......

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 17, 2024

Look at this nice clean 1911! After several WTF? attempts getting half way there, puzzling over the book, useless You Tube videos, un answered e mails to the company, and ordering a 1:1 training session from the dealer in a few weeks, it took some lateral thinking to get it apart. Major PITA but now I know. I’d hate to be in the field under pressure trying to clean this thing. I understand why Glocks are so popular. I’ll use my 1:1 for some cleaning tips and actual shooting now. I ordered a proper mat and some non metal tools from Amazon so I’m not tempted to deploy my jeweler screw drivers compressing detents and removing parts. IMG_9444.jpeg

Edited Feb 17, 2024
    noelekal, Waltesefalcon and CBM1590 like this.
  10. Waltesefalcon Feb 18, 2024

I'm going to sound like a curmudgeon here, but a 1911 is incredibly easy to field strip for maintenance. You only need to detail strip it once in a blue moom.

1) Depress the plunger and rotate the barrel bushing clockwise (if it is a tight bushing you may need a bushing wrench but 95% of them you can rotate by hand).

2) Remove the plunger, and rotate the barrel bushing counter clockwise, then remove the barrel bushing.

3) Move the slide rearward until you line up the disassembly mark with the slide stop.

4) Remove the slide stop and move the slide assembly forward and off of the frame.

Easy peasy, and can be done in thirty seconds or thereabouts. If it would be helpful I can post photos.

Edited Feb 18, 2024
    Wryfox, 10mmauto and noelekal like this.
  11. Pastorbottle Feb 18, 2024

Yeap my thoughts exactly, in fact it was often done blindfolded as a training aid to build the confidence of the user.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 18, 2024

Nope. Bull Barrel design is what I think it’s called. Super fiddly.
    1) Gotta move slide to removal notch, pop out the slide stop,
    2) move slide forward and off.
    3) Then there is this odd hex key. You compress recoil spring (ouch) along guide rod till a pinhole appears, short end of key goes into pin hole. Long end lays against guide rod which locks the spring and allows you to carefully ease the spring and guide rod though frame and off barrel.
    4) Remove barrel
    5) Clean and reverse.
    Putting the slide stop back is a pain as well. There is a detent to deal with. I saw the procedure you described, I wish.

Edited Feb 18, 2024
    Wryfox and noelekal like this.
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 18, 2024

See my explanation. No way this comes apart blindfolded.

14. Pastorbottle Feb 18, 2024

It’s not a proper 1911 then, a variation of it maybe

Waltesefalcon, noelekal and Larry S like this.
  15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 18, 2024

That's ok Larry. Your pistol is quite nice. I'd own it. I'd shoot it.

Seven seconds to field strip, including the time it took to use the Speedmaster as timer.
    [​IMG]

Of course it's helpful to use an old loosey-goosey, worn, military contract Colt 1911 from 1918 for the speed timing specimen.
    [​IMG]

Wryfox, CBM1590, RCINPHILL and 2 others like this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 18, 2024

I love it. According to Springfield, the Bull Barrel is preferred by some for target use because it’s beefier. Now that I know the procedure, I’m sure I’ll get faster.

noelekal likes this.
  17. Waltesefalcon Feb 18, 2024

So, a bull barrel is another kettle of fish entirely. You can still take it down without tools, though.

1) Line your slide up with the disassembly mark, and while holding the slide in place with one hand remove the slide stop with the other.

2) Move the slide assembly forward off the frame.

Now, reassembly I find goes much easier with a specialized tool, as shown in the following two photos. This special tool grabs hold of the guide and secures it in place so that there is no spring tension on the barrel lug during reassembly.
    20240218_095554.jpg 20240218_095543.jpg

Edited Feb 18, 2024
    Wryfox, TheorPhys, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 18, 2024

No home should be without a drawer full of clothespins. Versatile invention. My guide rod and sleeve unfortunately has no flange to grab, just the pin hole. Gonna buy another couple of the wrenches/pins from Springfield. Gonna need another tool box soon.

Edited Feb 18, 2024
    noelekal and Waltesefalcon like this.
  19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 20, 2024

I was at the range this morning and noticed something that as a newbie, i wanted to run by you guys.

The range had been selling Magtech 9mm and today they had Federal. With the Magtech, I’ve had rounds jam on me, even today. Eject, put em back, they might work or jam again. With Federal, no jams. I suspect many of you load your own but have you noticed that some gun tolerances favor one brand or another? Is my gun super fussy because its new? Anyway, I bought two more boxes of Federal before i left. I’d also add that the guns sold there are overwhelmingly the Glock type and they have said that my gun is one of the most complex that they sell. Thanks

Edited Feb 20, 2024
    ErichPryde likes this.
  20. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Feb 20, 2024

I saw one of those clothespin things in a museum once.