Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 16, 2017

With Hunting methods whatever works for you is the way to go.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 16, 2017

Certainly the archery skills needed for hunting are pretty minimal. Essentially if you can keep your arrows in a group the size of a paper plate at 20 yards you are fine for most hunting of larger game. For indoor shooting the regulation distance most used is 18 meters - about 20 yards. When I used to go to one club for their weekend tournaments, there were recurve target archers and compound target archers there. We didn't compete directly with each other obviously (recurve at a real disadvantage to the guys shooting with releases, peep sights in the string, and powered scopes) but at lunch we would play a little game and anyone who was interested would throw $2 in a jar (a coin here called a toonie), and whoever won the little competition, won the pot.

We would hang some old CD's from the targets (usually old program CD's) and the goal was not to hit the CD - any half decent target archer can do that with their eyes closed. We would go down the line with everyone taking one shot, and try to shoot an arrow in the hole in the middle of the CD without touching the CD. Nearly won it one weekend, but just nicked the inside of the CD...

noelekal likes this.
  3. Ranger230 Aug 16, 2017

A few of my favorite 1911's. NHC, WC, and a Rogers Precision Baer. IMG_1541.JPG

SmokyT, voere and noelekal like this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 16, 2017

I could get real used to those being favorites, Ranger230.

Great looking holsters as well. I'm needing a really good holster with a bit of cant for a CZ 75. Am reluctant to just order models found online without trying them first and cannot find inventory of CZ 75 holsters enough to try before I buy.

5. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 16, 2017

I do not know the holster types you like owb iwb etc. or your budget. However I would go with a good custom holster maker.
    For CZ75's take a look at Ken Null holsters. Not the cheapest holster maker but not the most expensive either.
    Holsters from nossar gunleather or 5 shot leather are also great choices
    Good Luck

Edited Aug 16, 2017
    noelekal, watchknut and Ranger230 like this.
  6. Ranger230 Aug 16, 2017

I'm a huge Milt Sparks fan. Are you looking for OWB or IWB carry? The 75 isn't much bigger if at all over a 1911. The Nexus is very slim as it doesn't have a reinforced mouth. If you need reinforcement the Criterion is nice. I like it due to the extreme cant very comfortable and concealable. If you have a 1911 and want to try one for a bit let me know by PM. I have a few commander and full size laying around I'd let you try.

For my handguns without soul i.e. Tupperware I use kydex from JM Custom.

Edited Aug 16, 2017
    noelekal and watchknut like this.
  7. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Aug 16, 2017

+1 on Milt Sparks.

8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 16, 2017

http://www.miltsparks.com/products-inside.php

Thanks for the recommendations. I intended to go with an OWB holster for this CZ 75. Don't see the CZ 75 supported in the Milt Sparks line. Wouldn't ya' know. I'd like to try a Milt Sparks holster. Have heard about them for years.

Ranger230 likes this.
  9. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 17, 2017

Many aspects of collecting firearms. I like old school holsters from top makers. This holster is from Alessi. From the stampings on the holster I'm sure it's from the 1970's. The holster needs some TLC. I'm waiting on leather dye to arrive. When the dye arrives I will restore the holster. I am very tempted to leave the holster as is. You just can not duplicate the patina/finish wear on the holster.

al2.jpg
    Ranger230 and noelekal like this.
  10. georgeszaslavsky Aug 17, 2017

I have some great memories very time I visited my cousins and my uncle who live in Abilene, we often went to the Abilene Gun Club. They are all NRA lifetime members. I had the opportunity to shoot with some fine guns. The best guns, I have shot with were the Bren Ten, Para Ord P13-45, STI Perfect Ten in 10mm auto, Freedom Arms Premier Grade in 454 casull, 1968 Winchester model 70 African in 458 winch mag,1973 Dumoulin Safari Express Rifle in 505Gibbs, IMI Galil in 308 Nato, Mossberg 590 mariner, 1969 Winchester model 94 in 44mag, M60 E3 and the Israeli Bul M5 (a very fine Israeli improved version of the 1911). My country France makes it very hard for a law abiding citizen to get one, even if you buy one and get a permit to use in a gun club, you can't use one for self defense. The right to buy a gun for self defense was banned by Jacques Chirac in1995, and so were the sales of pump shotgun with more than 8 rounds and semi auto in 12ga with more than 3 rounds banned as well.

noelekal and voere like this.
  11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 17, 2017

Oh man! Yer gonna get me goin' on old leather. Love the old Alessi holster just as it is. I'd probably put it to work too, at least on a limited basis. Does it take a J-Frame Smith & Wesson?

voere, you're holster's still practical and equal to the best designs of today. This old U. S. military holster with Rock Island Arsenal markings on it has 113 years of patina. It's all there but is a bit too tender to put to use. Dated 1904, it served to house the once issued .38 revolver that served the U. S. military, beginning in 1889 (Navy issue) and not completely retired until after 1911 when supplies of the Model of 1911 began to reach military personnel. The .38 revolver was said to be ineffective in actual use, so much so that old Colt Model of 1873 .45 revolvers were trotted out of retirement storage and issued and quantities of newly made .45 Colt double-action revolvers, both the Colt Model 1902 and Colt Model 1909, were procured as stop gap measures to serve in areas of U. S. involvement. Revolver seen here is the Colt Model 1901 .38, a military variant of the commercial Colt New Army chambered for .38 Long Colt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Toishome, Wryfox and Ranger230 like this.
  12. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 17, 2017

georgesslazaslavsky; Some of those firearms you mention have some pretty "enthusiastic" recoil. Sounds like fun though. As I live about an hour south of Abilene I'd be pleased to meet up with you if you ever came back over here for a visit.

georgeszaslavsky likes this.
  13. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 17, 2017

Beautiful leather and firearms. Great pictures too.
    The holster is made for a Colt detective spl. However it works just fine for the Cobra

aco3.jpg
    Edited Aug 17, 2017
    noelekal and georgeszaslavsky like this.
  14. georgeszaslavsky Aug 17, 2017

Indeed these firearms weren't for the weak or the faint hearted. Norma back in the days made the best ammo for the 10mm auto, now according to my cousins Corbon, Federal and Winchester propose some decent cartridges in this caliber. The 454 casull is based on the 45 long colt but with way more much knocking power but still a good cartridge for medium and big hunting and manageable compared to a 460s&w or a 500s&w or even a 475linebaugh. The most problematic rifle I had to shoot was the 505 gibbs dumoulin, a recoil by 40% bigger than the 458winch mag, a seasoned big game hunter told me that the 478 weatherby magnum could be as bad in terms of recoil. However it has been quite some time that I haven't shot with a firearm so for training a 40s&w or a 357 sig will be enough.Yes with pleasure, I will let you know if it happens.

noelekal likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 17, 2017

For anyone interested the Archery World Cup just finished the leg in Berlin a few days ago, and this is a video showing the recurve mixed team and individual medal matches. I've set the start point at the men's bronze medal match, since my buddy Crispin is shooting, and my other friend and former team mate Shawn is the coach:

And in one shot you can see Shawn wearing a Speedy...I had a little something to do with that. ;)

[​IMG]

16. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 17, 2017

Bummer Archer!

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Is recurve shooting something more for the young? I never tried anything but a compound bow. Seems like the pursuit of shooting the recurve well would play havoc with old joints and tendons. I guess conditioning could make all the difference.

georgesslazaslavsky; I'd be tickled to try those cartridges you've shot. You've handled (or been handled - heh!) by heavier calibers than I have. All I can manage to field in the way of "hard kickers" is a .375 H&H Magnum and a .405 Winchester. Well, a cheapo Harrington & Richardson 10 gauge 3 1/2-inch magnum single-shot shotgun. The .44 Magnum tops the handguns here. None of them are unmanageable.

Heaviest cartridges ever fired are the .458 Winchester Magnum and .378 Weatherby Magnum cartridges. The .378 Weatherby Magnum seemed a bit overrated. A couple of five-shot groups off the bench rest with the .458 Winchester Magnum and I was ready to go do something else for a while.

voere; you're displaying some fine "Coltness" right there in that pair!

17. Wryfox Aug 17, 2017

Nice pair there:thumbsup:!

18. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 21, 2017

Here's the after picture of the holster on the left in the picture. I decided not to refinish the holster. I just touched up the wear marks with Danner boot dressing and a Q tip. All I did is dab the light area of the holster and it worked out great. Scroll up to see the before picture. Since I was sitting on my patio watching the eclipse partial eclipse in my neck of the woods. I kept busy working on the holsters. Two Colts riding in old school Alessi holsters.

003.JPG
  19. Rack_Attack Aug 26, 2017

I like guns and knives.

Here's my slicked up cowboy action Ruger Vaqueros framing some traditional folding pocket knives.

IMG_0013.JPG
    noelekal and voere like this.
  20. i20rider Aug 27, 2017

I have probably 5 firearms for every watch I have . And I have a lot of watches. 20170820_142451.jpg 20170426_152850.jpg