Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Buster Aug 10, 2017

I wish my drill instructor at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego had known this in 1974.

Rodmar and noelekal like this.
  2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 10, 2017

Never tried electronic muffs, Rodmar. I've always used both muffs and plugs together. What about those seen on your site?

A kind brother-in-law gave me a Mosin Nagant some years ago. Recoil of the rifle is way overrated. Just shoulder it properly.

The Mosin Nagant here shown with an identical rifle owned by our youngest son.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love to own and use military rifles, especially U. S. and British arms. My brother-in-law and I have been going to a remote location south of Sanderson, Texas (which puts us right up against the Mexican border) for long range plinking fun with rifles of all sorts. This is a typical assortment from a trip.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blue hills on the horizon is in Mexico.
    [​IMG]

Shooting the M1A down a deep canyon from off of the rim at ranges from 100 yards to infinity.
    [​IMG]

The Mosin Nagant and its cartridge does not generate more recoil than the U. S. Model 1903-A3 with its .30-06 cartridge, and the ol' '03A3 is quite well-mannered.
    [​IMG]

Thrasher36, Wryfox, Trev and 2 others like this.
  3. rbird7282 Aug 11, 2017

That's an outstanding collection. Wish I had space like that to shoot.

georgeszaslavsky, Aronis and Rodmar like this.
  4. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 12, 2017

I'm up early this morning getting ready to head to the range. My grandson is still sleeping I will wake him up shortly. Since I was up I played around with this glock. I removed the NY1 trigger return spring & target trigger. I went with the standard smooth face glock trigger and glock trigger return spring with the - connector. The trigger feels nice. Speaking for myself not much benefit in polishing up the parts as stock the trigger is good enough for me.

I'll bring along a few larger sized mags so my grandson will have a better grip on the handgun. He likes to go shooting with me and I have fun teaching him how to shoot. Great way to bond with him. Also I will get him into wheel guns this colt officer model is a nice shooter and easy to shoot. I will start him off with the colt and then let him play around with the glock.

001.JPG 017.JPG oco.jpg
    Edited Aug 12, 2017
    Thrasher36, Toishome and noelekal like this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 12, 2017

Big fun there, voere. Sounds so nice. Taking a grandson shooting and bringing a Colt Officers Model Match along.

I have a nice Colt OMM. No grandson though but only three granddaughters and they live 860 miles away in Nashville.

The eldest is eight. We did take her shooting for the first time when she was here last.

6. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 13, 2017

I spent most of the morning teaching him the basics of shooting. He did very well with the Colt and with the Glock pie plate moa. With the Colt he could achieve decent groups of two to three inches at fifteen yards. Using the Glock he was all over the place but at least he hit the targets.
    In time if he practices he may become a good shot. I'm happy with his results.

He ran 400 rounds through the Colt and just under 50 rounds with the Glock. I ran another 50 or so rounds through the Glock. I wanted to test fire the Glock after trigger and connector change. The Glock ran fine. All the parts in the Glock are stock Glock parts.
    I will take him back out in a couple weeks to pick up where we left off into his venture into hand gun shooting.

Since he did very well with the Colt. I will bring that one to shoot along with a 1911. We both had a good time. After shooting we went to lunch at a restaurant of his choice and called it a day. I enjoyed spending time with him. The kid is into sports since football is just around the corner he spends a few times per week on week days in training camp.. So shooting will be a weekend venture.

I have two granddaughters my wife spends time with them. The two girls usually con me into taking them shopping and lunch or dinner thrown in. They think I will buy them the clothes that mom or grandma will not let them wear. I just laugh and tell them. I will buy you clothes I think are appropriate for young girls.

Edited Aug 13, 2017
    noelekal likes this.
  7. uansari1 Aug 13, 2017

I have an interest in one not being used on me by some crazy militiaman.

8. Rodmar Aug 13, 2017

Good one...

9. Rodmar Aug 13, 2017

I love em, the main pro to electronic earmuffs is you can still hear people talking, things sneaking up on you and even people whispering.

I use em for shooting and I'll never go back, hell I prolly own 4 pair myself just incase.

I use em for hunting, range time, mowing my acerage, etc....

10. Wryfox Aug 15, 2017

This looks just like my gun rack...seriously. I could duplicate this photo. The thought of that brings me joy.:)

noelekal likes this.
  11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 15, 2017

Just goes to show that OmegaForums members also have excellent tastes in other hobby pursuits.

About half the rifles are my brother-in-law's and half are mine. The M1 Carbine with the 30-round magazine and a Marlin Model 60 .22 autoloader belonged to the owner of the ranch. The grouping of rifles laid out on gun cases (with a lone Smith & Wesson Model 17 K-22) represents a more typical number I carry along. A photo from a different occasion.

12. Wryfox Aug 16, 2017

Something a little different...my old Ben Pearson recurve bow. Just re-stringed and now ready to set up. Old setup Chrono'd about 180fps. And below that the new one..a Martin. Chrono'd about 320fps. A real sizzler.
    20170619_113429.jpg Martin Bow 315fps.JPG

Thrasher36, noelekal and voere like this.
  13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 16, 2017

Will have to defer to the same brother-in-law who has half the rifles in the rack above as I haven't dabbled in archery. He enjoys it. When he's in top form before hunting season I think he'd whip my best effort with a handgun at similar ranges.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 16, 2017

Odd, the recurve bow is LH and the one with training wheels is RH...are you shooting the recurve RH? I know it seems like an odd question, but I shot a match once against a guy named Sergey who shot RH but with a LH bow. It was very strange and he had to flip his draw hand around and grab the string from the opposite way (so his thumb was facing down instead of up) due to archer's paradox - you can see what that means at the end of this clip when the high speed camera is over my right shoulder:

I've known a few archers who have flipped from one hand to the other, but if you have one very dominant eye it's not easy...

noelekal likes this.
  15. Wryfox Aug 16, 2017

Keen eye, I shoot the LH recurve right handed. Yes is seems odd but its not that hard as the handedness is not so extreme on a recurve. The Bow was my grandfathers, who was left handed. I have to swag my head a bit, and clearance isn't a problem. Perhaps I've just gotten used to it. I learned on this bow back then so it seems normal to me(well, then anyway). Right handed bows feel more natural now as I have had several but this Pearson is fine as well. I just have to remember to position for it. Recurves are not complicated creatures, and the grip swells work with either hand just fine. My Browning recurve is carved so even it's virtually ambidextrous. I'm also lucky I can force eye dominance. A trait from shooting pistols with both hands.

noelekal likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 16, 2017

Are you shooting off the shelf then? When you say handedness is not so extreme on a recurve, I take it you mean the grip. If you are shooting a release on the compound, that is the one that has the least "handedness" involved actually. When you shoot with fingers, the string has to go around those fingers, setting up the vibration in the arrow as a result. This is where node points and tuning come in, but if you are shooting off the shelf that's pretty much moot anyway.

LOL Had a good chuckle at this. A modern target recurve has more adjustments on it than you can shake a stick at, everything from adjusting tiller, draw weight, plunger tension, all the way to adjusting how aligned the string is down the middle of the bow...I would spend hours on the alignment of my old Hoyt Avalon and tuning was an ongoing process, but that is a very different form and level of archery than your bow was designed for obviously.

Certainly that one isn't very complex and I doubt you would be shooting bare shafts (arrows without fletching) at 70m to tune it...I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Cheers, Al

noelekal likes this.
  17. Wryfox Aug 16, 2017

Correct, competition archery is a completely different animal. What I do with these bows is the equivalent of plinking with a pistol. The variables are far simpler. As for the compound bow, minute of deer or hog is sufficient, at 15-20yds. Fun nonetheless. I watched the Olympics last year in awe of what can be done with a bow.

noelekal likes this.
  18. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 16, 2017

My hobbies and interests in sports changed though out the years. I used to shoot bows in matches and hunted with a bow mostly deer and bear hunting. I still have three recurve bows and a couple modern compound bows.

Since archery season opens before rifle hunting season. My hunting buddies and I used bow hunting as pre deer or bear season scouting trips. I'm more of a still hunter and stalker of game. Sitting in a tree stand is not my type of hunting.

noelekal likes this.
  19. Wryfox Aug 16, 2017

Kudos to you sir. I'm a sit and wait for dinner to come to me type. A dear friend of mine years ago was a stalk hunter. A mountain of patience needed for that. He said it would take him an hour to cover 100yds undetected. That and he dressed like a bush.:D

His house was full of trophies so yeah it worked.

noelekal likes this.
  20. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 16, 2017

My Grandson stopped by to have lunch with my wife and I. He wanted to know if I would take him shooting on the weekend. Since I handload for 40 S&W I changed the glock 33 I posted into a glock 27. Very easy to do just change the barrel.

He enjoys shooting that glock. While I was looking around in my safe. I found an old favorite of mine a Kahr K9. Damn she feels good in hand. I like these older Kahrs. The K9 is a little on the heavey side for a single stack 9mm but the weight really tames the recoil. Just so I do not get bored. I will take the K9 along for myself.

005.JPG
    Thrasher36 and noelekal like this.