Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Aronis Aug 4, 2017

LMAO, I am on too many forums.....I actually had read that post before and forgot! Similar threads on photography and handgun forums LOL....

But on the ACS forum, not so many fun things.

Mike

2. Wryfox Aug 7, 2017

I went to the SHOT show here in the USA a couple years ago (if your a gun guy, this event is pure heaven). The Glock guys were giving these out to visitors. Pretty darn cool. Little over an inch long.

Fun Fact, if you have one at Heathrow in London, it will be confiscated at Security. No kidding. Glad I have more than one.
    20170803_111601.jpg
    20170803_111616.jpg

Mad Dog, noelekal and voere like this.
  3. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 7, 2017

Speaking Glock's this one is keeping me company today

002.JPG
    Thrasher36, pitpro, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 7, 2017

Hi Voere;

You mentioned mouse guns.

Mouse guns.

.25 ACP pistols from bygone days. Top: An Astra from the 1916 to 1922 period, Center: a candidate for the world's ugliest pistol, a Helfricht Model 3 from the 1920 to 1929 time period, Bottom: A Colt Model 1908 that was manufactured in 1922.
    [​IMG]

A Colt Detective Special is kept on hand here. I prefer it to the usual run of J-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers or any other newer small, compact revolver.

[​IMG]

This older Triple K holster works for carry beneath a covering sport coat.
    [​IMG]

Thrasher36 and voere like this.
  5. SmokyT Aug 7, 2017

Just spent the entire afternoon yesterday cleaning the two guns (and their mags) I shot this past Saturday. I know I don't need to be so meticulous, but I tend to spend too much time cleaning my guns....

voere likes this.
  6. Wryfox Aug 7, 2017

Unless you find it therapuetic, cleaning too much will soon inhibit your desire to go shooting(ie knowing that the long clean is in front of you afterwards). I used to shoot benchrest back in the day when overcleaning was the rule(1/10moa being the std to achieve). Ruined the fun of the competition for me. Got over it when I started shooting NRA matches (where 1moa is generally good enough if all else is covered), where I learned the "whores bath" technique...bore, chamber and breach face after a match, and complete tear down after the season. That's it. Has worked for me for 20years now.

voere and noelekal like this.
  7. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 7, 2017

Great assortment of firearms. I'm a fan of the handguns you posted

8. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 7, 2017

I clean my guns after shooting. Sometimes a deep clean and other times a fluff and buff (half ass). With carry guns I am anal I keep them super clean and lubed. I want them to go bang.

Most of my carry guns get checked over once a week that's mostly a good check up and remove the lint the gets trapped in the firearm. Some handguns are worse than others to clean out the lint. That happens when I carry iwb.

On some handguns lint (a lot) gets trapped around the hammed area and firing pin not good IMHO. This morning I woke up early and deep cleaned the glock I posted.

I had some time so I cleaned and polished the holster. The holster was suffering from some rub marks using a
    little black leather dye and polish fixed the small issues now the holster looks and functions as new.

noelekal likes this.
  9. SmokyT Aug 7, 2017

Believe it or not, it's been more therapeutic than anything else to me. And I don't mind the smell of good ole Hoppes #9 that I'm still using to clean my guns after all these years. ;) My wife even jokes that I seem to enjoy cleaning my guns more than shooting them. LOL

noelekal likes this.
  10. Rman Aug 7, 2017

My fathers service pistol from WWII.
    He was bombardier on a B-25.
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Thrasher36, ozmega, Edward53 and 8 others like this.
  11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 7, 2017

That's the kind of collectible firearms I like to see Rman.

12. Wryfox Aug 8, 2017

That's because you've chemically burned your nose receptors with the Hoppes.:taunt: It actually stinks to high heaven. My wife said "Oh hell no" when I first used it, even though I was in the garage. I have to say I see her point. Last time I used it was 20 yrs ago, but not just because of the smell....it's because...

...I learned something very valuable from a champion benchrester who had won a long range(1000yd) match I shot in many many years ago. I asked him after the match how he cleans his rifle. He said he didn't. One patch of CLP after the match to protect the bore and chamber and that's it. I asked how many rounds shot so far..he said over 800(BTW...he shot sub 5" on last group to win that day). He was a firm believer that over cleaning not only didn't help accuracy but actually hurt it (heresy!!). He explained that copper build up isn't a problem with a good barrel, and the small amount that does occur is self limiting. Shooting with a consistent small amount of copper and powder fouling was the key. Why remove it and then have to manage the build up during the match and the changes to velocity and POI that go with . Its part of the reason benchresters need to shoot a number of practice rounds before a match, not just to dial in to the target and climate, but to condition the barrel. It was a true revelation for me from that point on. I have proven the same point many many times to others over the years. The reason the whole overcleaning practice existed many years ago was because of the lower quality of the barrels. Its simply not necessary today.

Edited Aug 8, 2017
  13. Wryfox Aug 8, 2017

If the last story doesn't impress you, the capper was that he won the match with "mexican match" ammo. L2A2 UK Surplus 308 military. He pulled the mil bullets and replaced with 175 Sierra HPBT. 1/2 moa at 1000yds. He said he found the L2A2 to be super consistent in powder and case, just crappy mil FMJ bullets. To further blow your mind, he did it with a 20" barrel. Said that was the length that tuned to best accuracy. Gave me a dissertation on vibration nodes, which I used to find the best loads for many of my competition rifles. His strategy was to have a rock solid reliable load and tune the barrel to the load(he could, he machined his own barrels). I did the opposite, using the ladder technique of load development to find the vibration nodes of a specific barrel and then match the load to the most minimum node. Its simple and it works.

We became good friends for years until he passed from cancer (RIP)

Edited Aug 8, 2017
    noelekal likes this.
  14. rbird7282 Aug 8, 2017

This is 100% correct. Most of the time, cleaning a firearm does more harm than good.
    My AR's get a detailed cleaning every 2,000 rounds or so, other than that a little grease and dip the bcg in synthetic motor oil every once in a while.
    My pistols don't get cleaned very often other than maybe an additional coat of grease on the rails, and a little gun oil on pivot points.
    My long range precision rifle has never been cleaned other than when I bought it. Shoots sub moa all day.
    Rimfire guns get cleaned more often as well as guns that I shoot suppressed.
    Bronze and stainless barrel brushes accelerate wear at the chamber and muzzle.
    Wipe Out bore foam is all that's needed except for the worst fouling.

15. Wryfox Aug 8, 2017

91-30 SNIPER 1941 - LEFT -1.jpg I found an old Mosin Nagant sniper rifle a couple years ago. It was dirt cheap because the guy thought the barrel looked like hell. Well it did, but the mistake he made was in cleaning it. He said the barrel was about black as tar to start with but still all pitted looking and rusty when cleaned up. He admitted it shot like hell too. He was disgusted with it, and sold it to me for little more than the value of the scope alone. But the more I shot it the better it got..within 50 rds all the small pits filled in, and add a light touch up of the crown and I've gotten close to moa groups from it. Barrel looks black again but its happy that way.

16. Aronis Aug 8, 2017

Nice rehab on the gun!!!!!!

Mike

17. Ritzwatch Aug 8, 2017

50 rounds of 7.62x54 and the Mosin might be happy, but how does your shoulder feel about all this?

18. Wryfox Aug 8, 2017

I shoot alot of old military rifles, all possible through the magic of slip on recoil pads. Limbsaver pads are the best for me, just don't leave them in the sun or in a hot car...they'll soften to goo.

Ritzwatch likes this.
  19. Rodmar Aug 10, 2017

Added items to our website:

Arc-Defense.com

Anyone into cans?

noelekal and sevenhelmet like this.
  20. rbird7282 Aug 10, 2017

I've got four, all Silencerco items
    Osprey .45, two Sparrow .22 cans, and an Omega .30 can

noelekal likes this.