Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. 64Wing Jun 10, 2021

I could see that. Mostly, my interest in the Luger is coming from a place of deep interest in a particular time period of warfare. The remaining 10% or so stems from my inability to resist taking stuff apart and learning how it works. I'd love to do this with watches, but I'm almost certain that my hands aren't steady enough at that scale of parts

noelekal and Waltesefalcon like this.
  2. Professor Jun 11, 2021

Occasionally a uneducated type will dis American weaponry of WW1 and WW2 claiming weapons of the British or Germans were much superior. They generally brag on the Lee Enfield rifle, the Lewis Gun. the Maxim and Vickers guns and the Luger, not realizing that those weapons were based in great part or wholly on designs by American inventors.
    BSA greatly improved the heat treatment and manufacturing of the Lewis gun but it remains and American design not a British design.
    While the toggle breech is seldom found in use these days a number of successful modern LMGs use similar mechanisms by way of the BAR mechanism adapted to the beltfed configuration and improved by Fabrique Nationale in the 50's as the FN 58 which several more modern LMGs are based on. The BAR locking system was also used by the Poles to develop the fastest firing aerial machinegun of WW2.
    Besides the Borchardt Automatic pistol the toggle breech goes back to the Henry rifle and beyond. The Jennings rocket ball rifle and several paper cartridge carbines used the toggle breech long before metallic case cartridges were invented.
    The Mauser twin opposed front locking lug bolt was foreshadowed by the Green paper cartridge Civil War era rifle.

I've also seen some brag on the K43 as superior to the Garand, and a few weeks later ask for help in finding K43 replacement parts to repair breakages.

64Wing and Waltesefalcon like this.
  3. ghce Jun 12, 2021

On gun I have always lusted after but not been in the position to find is an M93R, there is just something about the Beretta's and particularly this one that has always appealed.
    Any one here got one?

4. SkunkPrince Jun 12, 2021

Since that's a selective-fire pistol, almost no one in the US has them because ATF wants Class III to disappear. I can't imagine there are a lot of them out there in the world except maybe law enforcement. Or illegally, I suppose.

Can't imagine it's all that easy to control one.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  5. Waltesefalcon Jun 12, 2021

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't they have a type of flip down fore grip? Not that that alone would make them entirely manageable.

I'd like one of the Lebmen full auto 1911s. I've had a 1911 go full auto on me once when I was tweaking the springs on my comp gun and it was something else, seven rounds in what seemed like the blink of an eye.

5d1eea100598d1d7ff3d7891d1c971ef.jpg
  6. SkunkPrince Jun 12, 2021

It does but there's not much of it there.

7. ghce Jun 12, 2021

It seem that they are mostly in the Italian police force or counter terrorism and difficult to obtain. As close as I have got to one is a high end Toko Maru manufactured airsoft lol, and just playing with that makes you really want the 9mm version.

8. Professor Jun 13, 2021

Came across an article on a one off factory selective fire Luger carbine years ago. Oddly the single known example was among weapons seized by the British from the IRA. Apparently German gun runners, and that was pretty common before and during WW1 and in the 20's, had presented it to the IRA in hopes of future orders, or to see it tested in combat.
    The weapon used Artillery Luger style snail drums and the select fire mechanism was housed in the fore end, which made conversions of standard Lugers fairly easy, just rebarrel and add the fore end.

9. ghce Jun 13, 2021

I can imagine the politics of that especially with the relationship between Ireland and Germany even up to the 2nd world war.

10. Waltesefalcon Jun 14, 2021

It's not vintage leather but after three months the holster for my Luger came in from El Paso Saddlery and I'm pretty pleased with it.

20210614_111210.jpg 20210614_111239.jpg 20210614_111152.jpg
    Flysatchmo, voere, Professor and 3 others like this.
  11. Professor Jun 14, 2021

I remember a very similar holster marketed for the Colt Woodsman in the 60's, a classic design.

12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 14, 2021

Moved away from watches for a while and have been focusing on firearms, since I last posted here. You guys have posted some nice firearms since I have been away. @noelekal, those 1911s are spectacular.

I don't have anything at that level but I did pick up a 5.56 Ruger Mini 14 (recent production with the sturdier barrel), 9mm Beretta 92 FS, 9mm CZ 75B, 45 ACP CZ 97BD and a .357 mag S&W Performance Center M&P R8. Now I need to find the time to get to the range.

noelekal likes this.
  13. Waltesefalcon Jun 14, 2021

That's basically what this one is. It's just a tad larger and the retention strap is made to accommodate the Luger better. My Huntsman fits in it well enough for it to do double duty.

noelekal likes this.
  14. Professor Jun 15, 2021

In fact I may actually have a pattern for that holster. I ordered a NOS Tandy pattern pack with gunbelt and western holster patterns but it also has patterns for more modern revolvers and autoloading pistols like the 1911 and the Colt Woodsman. I'll dig it out tomorrow to make sure.

It just occurred to me that I might adapt the design for my FN 1922. I have a East German police holster made to fit any .32 or .380 pistol still in their postwar inventory as well as the Soviet Makarov.
    The 1922 was a favorite of the Germans in WW2 when they could get them. A friend's father had one he salvaged from a German bomber he shot down when manning a .50 Browning guarding a captured German airfield in North Africa. Several German bombers not knowing the field was in allied hands had tried to land there and got shot up.
    He found the body of one of the crew in the broken off tail section, the rest burned with the rest of the bomber. He had the man's wallet with all ID and letters and pictures of a beautiful young woman, probably the dead man's wife.
    The pistol had what looked to be wooden hand carved grip panels with silver Luftwaffe eagle inlaid. Quite a war trophy.

My neighbor also manned a fifty guarding a captured German airfield. They had just strung a cable from a generator to the building chosen as the new HQ when a shot up German bomber tried to make an emergency landing there. It struck the cable and cartwheeled into the new HQ killing all the American outfit's officers.

Edited Jun 15, 2021
  15. Professor Jun 15, 2021

16. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 20, 2021

Time to make use of some spare parts. Next month is one of my grandsons birthday. Since the kid really enjoys shooting ar's Today I did a dry run of checking if all the parts go together without issues, so far so good. I ordered a complete lower and have the other parts that are needed. Since my grandson is not old enough to take custody of the ar it will remain in my custody secured in my gun safe. I'm off to a good start on his birthday gift.

20210619_033658.jpg
  17. Professor Jun 20, 2021

Maybe ten years ago the U S Army was testing a indoor M-16 target system that converted a standard M-16 or any related AR rifle to fire .22 lead balls using high pressure air.
    Something of this sort would be a good starting point for a young shooter before being let loose on the world with a full powered AR type rifle.

There are a few fairly realistic looking pellet rifles patterned after the M-4 carbine. Can't vouch for them personally though.

voere likes this.
  18. Waltesefalcon Jun 20, 2021

Spent a bit of time yesterday loading .45 Colt, it was a good day.

20210619_121511.jpg
    voere and i20rider like this.
  19. SkunkPrince Jun 20, 2021

There are 22LR conversion kits.

noelekal likes this.
  20. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 20, 2021

A .22 conversion would always be appropriate.

I love me some .22 rimfire!

i20rider likes this.