Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. SkunkPrince Jun 9, 2021

Thanks! You know what is weird, I shoot either pretty much the same... as long as the trigger matches the mainspring housing, I'm good!

64Wing likes this.
  2. Waltesefalcon Jun 9, 2021

We both like mint chocolate chip.

3. 64Wing Jun 9, 2021

images (3).jpeg

Waltesefalcon and Professor like this.
  4. Waltesefalcon Jun 9, 2021

So, we're showing off our 1911s again?

Here are mine, from top: 1915 M1911 that was carried by my granddad, he was pushing 40 but went off to war with the 45th Infantry when they went to the European theater; 1915 Commercial Model, this one is interesting because it's one of 1000 ordered by Argentina in 1915 and adopted the following year as the Modelo 1916, it has the Argentine Crest on the top of the slide and all the parts are serial numbered; 1988 Delta Elite; New Agent I bought, probably five years ago. The second photo is my 1969 GCNM that is currently with Karl Bening getting finely tuned for bullseye.

20210609_140521.jpg 20190611_204616.jpg
    voere, The Father and noelekal like this.
  5. 64Wing Jun 9, 2021

Golly...your granddad's M1911...that just hits the feels. What a remarkable example!

Edit: not to shrug off the others, but that's just badass

Waltesefalcon and noelekal like this.
  6. Flysatchmo Jun 9, 2021

Ok I want to join the party ....from top:
    Dads 1911A1 Military- 1941 he carried in WWII as an Army Doctor
    The rest are recent purchases in the last 5 years
    Colt Gold Cup
    Colt Delta Elite 10mm
    S&W Performance Series Bobtail....loved the look of the ported slide so had to buy it....shoots great as well

E419CF5B-F532-4E70-9F42-021A3D8E4596.jpeg

1F49C6BA-9A56-4B90-BAC2-25DCEBE0884A.jpeg 35B2552F-B0C6-4575-A1F2-2E0E60D8298D.jpeg 2E303132-AFE0-4F06-B4EE-8EAA1121497D.jpeg

Edited Jun 9, 2021
  7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 9, 2021

Flysatchmo likes this.
  8. Professor Jun 9, 2021

Browning certainly believed the feed ramp was a necessity, especially after the longer nose of the Ogive sloped bullet was adopted, otherwise he wouldn't have resorted to cutting the ramp so deeply into the chamber.

When I first got my S&W Model 59 I found the insides were caked with powdery copper residue. A few rounds of the CCI aluminum case 9mm cartridges with the reddish jacketed bullet were thrown in.
    I examined the feed ramp and it was rough as a cob. It was scraping jacket material at every shot. I had no problem smoothing and polishing the ramp, since unlike the Colt the ramp doesn't intrude into the chamber past the extractor groove.
    I've used only original unmodified S&W magazines in good condition.

While its correct to say that a well balanced recoil spring can avoid most limp wrist problems with stock or near stock pistols some of the lightweight pistols and customised bobcat 1911 pistols do exhibit short stroking unless the gun is held very firmly.
    If the pistol rocks back in the hand too easily the slide may not always travel far enough back to pick up the next round.

Wryfox and Waltesefalcon like this.
  9. SkunkPrince Jun 9, 2021

I am speaking strictly about a GI-spec gun with a GI-spec magazine and GI-spec springs (which Colt sells). The moment poeple start changing things, anything can happen. I do not doubt you've seen what you've seen; but in a properly-functioning GI gun, the bullet will hit the ramp only rarely.

I know 1911ism borders on religion, and you can clearly see what sect I am a part of.

After some hundreds of rounds through my 1918 Colt, the feed ramp is unmarked.

noelekal likes this.
  10. Professor Jun 9, 2021

You can't get much further from the 1911 than the Pistole 08, but its an object lesson in designing a pistol around a specific cartridge/bullet combination.
    The earlier Lugers were chambered for a bottle neck case with small bore bullet and a bit of a shoulder. When the Germans decided on the 9mm Parabellum cartridge they originally used a truncated cone bullet.
    Later they switched to the rounded nose bullet with slight Ogive. As the pistols began to show wear problems cropped up that had not been an issue with the earlier cartridges.
    As the magazine catch and mating notches of magazines began to show wear the magazine sat a tad lower in the frame, just enough to induce failures to feed when using the now standard bullet shape.

While the .45 bullet making no contact at all with the feed ramp doesn't sound quite right to me its entirely possible that when everything is to exact specifications that the ramp acts more as a clearance cut than as a ramp, with little or no contact, not enough to leave a mark any way.
    Of course any decent military pistol design would allow for wear and tear to the mags and mag catches. The ramp may be why even a badly worn 1911 remains a reliable feeder.

My Remington Rand 1911a1 never failed to feed even when using the Remington semi wadcutter 185 gr bullets.

noelekal, Waltesefalcon and Wryfox like this.
  11. SkunkPrince Jun 10, 2021

It all has to do with the 1911's controlled-feed geometry. In my Gi gun, I couldn't get 100% reliable feed without using GI magazines. Those tapered feed lips raise the nose of the bullet enough that it feeds nearly straight in... but that's a 230 grain GI bullet or one shaped much like one, as many of the hollow-points today are. John Browning and the early Colt engineers working with US Army Ordnance surely got it right.

noelekal, Professor and Waltesefalcon like this.
  12. Waltesefalcon Jun 10, 2021

The only time I've ever had any kind of failure with any of my 1911s was when, as a teen, I skipped resizing the brass while reloading. I had probably 200 rounds that would jam every third or so round. It was frustrating enough that it was a mistake I only made once.

noelekal and Professor like this.
  13. Waltesefalcon Jun 10, 2021

Since Lugers have been brought up, I'll throw my two cents in. Lugers chambered in .30 Luger definitely don't seem to wear as much as one's chambered in 9mm. I think one of the strengths of the 1911 is it's adaptability to different cartridges. I own ones in three different calibers and they all function the way they are intended without excessive wear, even Delta Elite. Granted the DEs had issues with the frame cracking right over the slide release cut out but that was quickly and easily fixed.

Oh, we should probably post our Lugers now as well. Mine is a DWM model 1906.

20201021_134724.jpg 20201021_134731.jpg
    Edited Jun 10, 2021
    voere, Flysatchmo and noelekal like this.
  14. Professor Jun 10, 2021

You are very lucky you didn't blow out your cases.
    The original Milspec .45 ACP had a deep groove rolled into the case to form a slight internal shoulder that prevented a loosened bullet from being pushed back into the case compressing the powder charge.
    The very old Remington UMC 9mm Luger cartridges in my collection also have this rolled in internal shoulder.
    A few years back there were several Glock blow ups traced to a security company getting into the habit of having the first round fed from the magazine unloaded at the end of the shift then put right back into the magazine as the top round. After many shifts this overused top round became loosened and sooner or later it would get pushed back into the case on being fed anew.
    Among a mixed lot of 7.62X39 I received along with an inherited AK I found a Remington manufactured round with the bullet mashed deeply into the case.
    Ordinarily milspec ammunition is tightly crimped to avoid such mishaps, but commercial and reloaded ammo may not be.

Personally I don't normally crimp reloads for my bolt action rifles, and only resize 1/3 of the neck. The less pull strength the bullet overcomes on firing the less variation in pull strength affects group size. That's an old bench rest trick. But not suitable to any auto loaders either rifle or pistol.

15. Waltesefalcon Jun 10, 2021

Thanks, I wish that it had been stored better before my dad inherited it but I'm happy to own it.

noelekal and Professor like this.
  16. 64Wing Jun 10, 2021

Think of it like a trusty stainless steel watch. Each little blemish and mark was earned by your forefathers and has a rightful place on the artifact. If it functions well and treats you like an old friend, you've won :thumbsup:

17. Professor Jun 10, 2021

A local man once showed me the WW1 issued 1911 his grandfather kept in the office of his commercial ice house for half a century or more.
    The gun had been lightly rusted over perhaps hundreds of times and merely wiped down with an oily rag now and then. The exterior surfaces looked like a very old and hard used saw blade. Seasoned would be the polite term. The many wipings with rough rags along with much holster wear had rounded all the edges like a much used bar of soap. It was actually slippery when you held it.
    But the old soldier still worked.

64Wing, Flysatchmo, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  18. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 10, 2021

Only a VoPo Luger lives here. Picked up out of a "Shotgun News" ad for $225 back in 1986. The advertiser was selling a batch just imported from who knows where. Kind of a bottom feeder Luger, but it shoots and I got to learn how Lugers function and detail strip on it. Still my favorite way to shoot up 9mm.

[​IMG]

voere, 64Wing, Waltesefalcon and 2 others like this.
  19. 64Wing Jun 10, 2021

Now the Luger...that's something I think I could get into. Rather the yin to Mr. Browning's yang

20. Waltesefalcon Jun 10, 2021

You'd think so, and they're kinda cool but unlike the 1911 you only need one. You can see why they were an evolutionary dead end when you mess with them.

noelekal likes this.