So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

A .22 conversion would always be appropriate.

I love me some .22 rimfire!
Unfortunately .22 LR supplies are often iffy. Air is free while CO2 capsules aren't all that expensive.
I'd love to have one of the Armi Jaeger .22 LR replicas of the M16. They were often used as prop rifles for films like Dawn of the dead. Only the pistol type magazine fitted into the dummy magazine gave away the illusion. These came in .22 and .32 ACP. My guess is they used the .32 version as blank firing prop guns, since .22 blanks aren't usually efficient in autoloaders.

A airgun of the exact dimensions of the firearm it replicates can be very useful in training for point shooting, as the Army proved as early as WW2 with its airgun versions of the M1919/ANT MGs.
They used airgun trainers again in the 60's to train in point shooting for Close Combat.
The Crosman 38T and 38C CO2 revolvers were originally marketed for Airforce and Civilian police training. I have several of those in my collection, and learned a lot about handgun shooting from these.

Unfortunately .22 LR supplies are often iffy. Air is free while CO2 capsules aren't all that expensive.
I'd love to have one of the Armi Jaeger .22 LR replicas of the M16. They were often used as prop rifles for films like Dawn of the dead. Only the pistol type magazine fitted into the dummy magazine gave away the illusion. These came in .22 and .32 ACP. My guess is they used the .32 version as blank firing prop guns, since .22 blanks aren't usually efficient in autoloaders.

A airgun of the exact dimensions of the firearm it replicates can be very useful in training for point shooting, as the Army proved as early as WW2 with its airgun versions of the M1919/ANT MGs.
They used airgun trainers again in the 60's to train in point shooting for Close Combat.
The Crosman 38T and 38C CO2 revolvers were originally marketed for Airforce and Civilian police training. I have several of those in my collection, and learned a lot about handgun shooting from these.

Another well known trainer for WW1 was the Lincoln Jeffries patent / BSA air rifle, got one kicking around here somewhere

Here it is
though this is probably not the exact model.

While going through some things at my recently deceased parents' home I found a couple of snapshots that made me smile. That's me in the sink-box at age 17, with at least two ducks I'd just bagged (draped over the front of the box). Leaning upright in the corner of the box is my Grandad's Remington 20ga. semi-auto, which he lent to me for this particular hunt. The Remington was recoil-operated, which made it sound kind of like a canning factory each time it fired and re-loaded. We hunted within a private club area to which my Grandad belonged, along with his brother and brother-in-law. That's my Grandad's brother-in-law in the airboat. The apparatus sitting on the front of the boat is a gasoline-powered water pump, used to bail out the sink-box before the day's hunt began.

When I have time to tinker around with firearms, I put together this ar I am still tinkering around with the build for my grandson. He will be turning 16 very soon. I trust him with any rifle however due to legal issues I will keep his ar in my custody until he turns 18 Between work tinkering around with 1911's and ar's it keeps me busy The ar in the picture is for myself a few more upgrades and it will be done deal
Edited:

Hey US folks I would need some help. I have a little colt pocket 1898 which is not classified in France so the parts aren't neither. Unfortunatly the rebound lever is broken and it's a pain in the neck to find one in over here. US dealers usually don't send abroad even for a 120 years old "stupid" spring. Anyone could help in the US?

have a nice day;

Love duck hunting!

While going through some things at my recently deceased parents' home I found a couple of snapshots that made me smile. That's me in the sink-box at age 17, with at least two ducks I'd just bagged (draped over the front of the box). Leaning upright in the corner of the box is my Grandad's Remington 20ga. semi-auto, which he lent to me for this particular hunt. The Remington was recoil-operated, which made it sound kind of like a canning factory each time it fired and re-loaded. We hunted within a private club area to which my Grandad belonged, along with his brother and brother-in-law. That's my Grandad's brother-in-law in the airboat. The apparatus sitting on the front of the boat is a gasoline-powered water pump, used to bail out the sink-box before the day's hunt began.

Hey US folks I would need some help. I have a little colt pocket 1898 which is not classified in France so the parts aren't neither. Unfortunatly the rebound lever is broken and it's a pain in the neck to find one in over here. US dealers usually don't send abroad even for a 120 years old "stupid" spring. Anyone could help in the US?

have a nice day;

I'll undertake a search for you. A local gunsmith provided a rebound lever for a Colt New Navy after I'd searched for years online. Wouldn't you know there was one right here in our small town the whole time. Don't know if rebound springs are the same dimensions. We'll find out.

Here's one for a New Police. https://slinksgunparts.com/product/colt-new-police-32-colt-revolver-parts-rebound-lever/ I'll check with my gunsmith and if he doesn't have one and we can determine that levers are the same then this one could be ordered and mailed to you. If you find a US parts source that has what you need then please private message me the web address.

I think the rebound lever for a Colt New Police would be correct for the New Pocket. The New Pocket model may just be built on an abbreviated New Police frame, the only difference being a shorter grip frame.

https://www.google.com/search?q=colt new pocket rebound spring&client=firefox-b-1-e&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=KIs4grUIbjDKMM%2CjCnI2zY_HDVv-M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTO1HztnoNKWXIMCaDGV-3cezXVxA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjR47Sru7rxAhXRwJ4KHasDDDwQ9QF6BAgOEAE

A Colt New Pocket .32 Long Colt lives here. Not as fine as yours is though. Has a decent bore though and perfect mechanics. Here's a photo of diminutive revolver shown with the gargantuan Colt New Service, this one being a US Model 1909 .45. Showing the large and the small of the Colt double action revolver line up in their catalog during the 1898 to 1910 period (my Model 1909 was manufactured in 1910) with their respective cartridges and a .22 Long Rifle for comparison. My New Pocket was made in 1905 the last year of production and at the transition of the New Pocket model to the improved Pocket Positive.

Are you able to obtain shooting quantities of .32 Short Colt or .32 Long Colt for your revolver? It's a scarce cartridge over here. I picked my New Pocket up at a gun show years ago expecting to bring it home to shoot .32 S&W Long. Visually they look the same size, but dimensionally the .32 Colt chamber will not accept .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long. Your gun is correctly used with both Shot and Long varieties of the .32 Colt.

Here's a .32 Smith & Wesson Long flanked by a .32 Short Colt and a .32 Long Colt. Until I obtained the New Pocket I assumed that the .32 Colt cartridges were simply an appropriation of the .32 S&W cartridges' design. It will be noticed that the .32 Short Colt features a heeled bullet. The .32 Long Colt shown features a hollow base bullet.

Colt did appropriate Smith & Wesson's .38 Special design dimensions when they initially began providing their revolvers so chambered. Colt only slightly altered the 158 grain bullet simply by putting a flat point on it and renamed the results ".38 Colt Special." The name didn't stick for long and neither did the Colt variant cartridge of the ubiquitous .38 Special which went on to become one of the most popular center fire revolver cartridges of all times. Other than the different bullet shape the .38 Colt Special was Smith & Wesson's proprietary .38 Special.

Not so with the .32 Colt. Both .32 Short Colt and .32 Long Colt are of Colt design and originally supplied with heeled bullets, similar in design to the modern .22 Long Rifle's bullet. Some .32 Colt cartridges were loaded with hollow base bullets about .298 in diameter serving to fill the bore upon firing. Bit goofy but there it is. The heeled bullets could serve in the cartridge conversions of percussion revolvers that were fabricated by the 1870s. The .41 Long Colt was served the same way which is probably why it was an obsolete dead duck by about 1940. Same for the .38 Long Colt of US Army Spanish American War fame. The .45 Colt however was always loaded with conventionally designed bullets since its inception.
Edited:

Noelekam, thanks for this long and precise answer.

Concerning the rebound lever, the mechanism seems to be the same as the colt new army and new navy. I had a look at jacksgunparst but it does not seem to be available. I don't really know if it's the same as the pocket positive even if it looks rather similar. Actually it's the same gun with a smaller barrel and grips.
Thanks for your search. I have to find this broken lever. You know what it's like. You carefully place it in a box and put the box somewhere...

As for the ammo. You're right, the short colt 32 cartridge is rather impossible to find. Actually when i found the gun, I bought it thinking it was a 32 SW short. I had it for very little and realized that 32 short SW and 32 short colt were not the same size. it's a matter of 0,021 inch. I was thinking of having the chmabers enlarged in order to use 32sw as the bullet itself is the same size.
It would be able to shoot with black powder. I wouldn't risk my hands or eyes to put some smokless. Nevertheless, It's mostly a "shelf revolver" even if the mechanism is very good (except the broken lever). + In France if you shoot in your backyard you'll see the police rather quickly. Only at the range.
Just for info, the legislation in France is harder than in the US. Globally speaking revolvers with a pre 1900 patent are considered as relics even if produced after 1900, IE colt new navy, colt new police. For the ammos, you can reload them freely with black powder. If you want a "real" gun you must have a shooting licence + 3 verified sessions at the range + a safe at home where you put your gun, unloaded. Absolutly forbidden to have a handgun at home loaded on a table. You only have the right to carry your gun on the way to the range but in a case, unloaded, with a trigger lock.
My graal would be to find a New navy or new police in 32 or 38 with a large frame but they are quite scarce in France or very expensive. Importing from the US is a pain in the neck because you have to :
- ask for the exporting license frome the US authorities
- send the gun to the french "importing testing/classifiyng weapon" so that they can check it's a collectible firearms.
- sen it back to you with a cost.

Noelekal, I had thought the same thing about .32 Colt and .32 S&W until I did some research after buying my Police Positive in .32 Police, which is just .32 S&W long. Once again Colt was just getting around stamping S&W on their guns so they loaded the. 32 S&W long with a flat tip bullet and called it the .32 Police. Anyway, I digress, not being familiar with .32s I figured .32 Colt would work in it but after some research I learned what you did. One other difference between the .32 Colt and the .32 S&W is that the former is externally lubricated whereas the latter is internally lubricated.

Kwijibo, you might consider joining the Coltforum.com as well. Noelekal and I are both members there and it's a knowledable, friendly, and helpful bunch of fellas. They even appreciate all those S&Ws that Noelekal owns.

that's a good idea Waltesefalcon. Unmounitng my gun I noticed that this was probably not only the rebound lever but probably (also) the locking of the barrel. it cocks and blanck fire when the barrel id down but refuses to rotate the barrel.
I's sad because this gun must not have fired a lot (due to the 32 colt? 😉 )
the build quality of these colt and the adjustement of parts is impressing for this era

Your rebound lever looks good in this photo but I see that you're missing an ear off the main spring. The rebound lever engages the timing hand and pushes it forward to engage the cylinder and rotate it, and the main spring is what supplies the pressure to the rebound lever when cocking the hammer. That broken main spring could easily be causing both problems.

😲 I hadn't seen an ear was missing. This said, it's not what prevents it from working. There's something with the unlocking of the barrel.
SkunkPrince, yup I had a look but as it's not the rebound lever any longer. I have to see a clear schematic about how the locking mechanism works.

Sure wish you were over here this afternoon Kwijibo. We'd detail strip your revolver and see what it's about. I'm not really good with Colt double-action lock work. I can take them apart and reassemble them, but don't have a systematic impression of what's going on in there when the action is cycled. Smith & Wesson actions make sense. Colt actions are somewhat akin to reading tea leaves, or chicken entrails, or driving to Toulouse from Paris by way of Vienna, Austria.

Waltesefalcon speaks truth, both in suggesting Colt Forum and in suggesting that the main spring is broken.

CT328-66-A-2.jpg

I thank you for your help. When I have time this summer I will make a complete tear down. The mainspring works but it's more about balance between the two sides (I mean risk of un uneven rubbing between the 2 sides). I don't shoot with it but so far the action goes fine. i'm going to study some schematics for my own culture.
I'm more a long distance bolt action shooter than a cow boy action shooter even if I like these old colts for their style.
there must be a kind of spring somewhere that takes down the barrel locking after the hammer strikes the cartridge.
but don't worry! As soon as september I'll undertake the 6 month marathon to have a modern handgun.
I'm going to have a look at the Colt forum.
thanks US friends.

Okay, this is going to be a photo heavy post. These are from last May or June when I worked on a friend's Agent from 1984. I'm pretty familiar with Colt DA revolvers and their operation and have been working on them for a quarter of a century. The though this revolver is nearly 100 years newer it operates under the same mechanics. The first two photos just show the gun stripped and all the internal parts. The third photo shows the cylinder bolt installed, this is what locks the cylinder when you aren't pulling the trigger. It has a small spring under it that keeps it engaged it is actuated by the rebound lever. The fourth photo shows the trigger and positive lock installed. The fifth photo just shows how the positive lock operates when the trigger is pulled. The sixth photo shows the hammer installed. The seventh and eighth show how the trigger and the hammer interact. The ninth photo showed the rebound lever installed. The rebound lever engages both the cylinder bolt and keeps the timing hand in the forward position while the gun is being cocked. The tenth photo shows the timing hand installed on the trigger and you can see how the rebound lever rests on top of it. The eleventh and twelfth photos show the cylinder being rotated. The thirteenth photo just shows three side plate installed.

Now, with all of that out of the way, the V spring makes everything work together as it should. It not only provides the power to drop the hammer on a cartridge it provides the pressure to the rebound lever to disengage the cylinder bolt as the hammer begins to come back and to keep the timing hand fully engaged with the cylinder. As the cylinder chamber aligns with the barrel the cylinder bolt will slide off of the rebound lever and the bolt spring will push it back out to re-engage the cylinder. While the trigger is pulled the rebound lever will continue to keep the timing hand forward and firmly engaged with the cylinder providing solid lock up of the cylinder, this is why Colts have such a tight lock up when the trigger is pulled. As the trigger is reset the rebound lever releases its pressure on the timing hand allowing it to drop past the cylinder ratchet and the rebound lever returns to its testing position on the timing hand and below the cylinder bolt.

One last thing, with the side plate off, the timing hand won't engage the cylinder ratchet properly unless you push on the side of the hand while cocking the revolver.

With one of the ears on the main spring broken its not going to exert pressure correctly on the rebound lever which will affect how the rebound lever engages both the cylinder bolt and the timing hand. I hope this makes sense and helps a bit.
Edited:

One of the most common, if not the most common, ailment that affects DA Colts is a worn out timing hand. This wear will greatly affect the timing and can even keep the cylinder from fully rotating, meaning that the chamber won't properly align with the barrel and the cylinder bolt. Because the timing hand serves to help lock up the cylinder while the gun is being fired they get battered and will need to be replaced periodically. It's not a drop in part and will need to be fitted to your gun. It's not difficult but does require patience, you need to file the hand to fit into the cylinder ratchet properly. You don't want it to over rotate the cylinder but it needs to bring the cylinder into proper alignment with the barrel and cylinder bolt.

I'll quit pontificating now and wish you good luck on your revolver.

there are two things I must say.
THANKS YOU
and that's very interesting how Colts haven't basically changed for a century.
When it stopped working well i remember pulling out of the mechanism a part of steel. As said earlier I can't find the little box in which it sits. It must not be that far. Anyway, As I like to know how mechanical things work, I'm going to repair it.
I found in my documentation this schematic of the 1917. I can now clearly see how the mainspring pushes the rebound lever that then pushes the locking part for the barrel.
I'm still fascinated by th precision work for the time. I can't even imagine how they could drill a six branches hole in the barrel in the late 19th century.
i'm know looking for a 38 new police