Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Burnt Jun 30, 2020

Ed Zachary!

2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 30, 2020

Hi Burnt;
    If you are member of Smith & Wesson Forum did yoh ever show off your "MITH" error fhere?

I have followed the ankle holster discussion here with interest. Tried one years ago with unsatisfactory results. Have wanted an ankle holster as an additional carry option for a 2-inch Smith & Wesson J-Frame. Don't want to keep buying them in order to try to find the best one.

3. Burnt Jun 30, 2020

Nah, I’m not the collector I used to be and bought the gun for practical use and abuse. While some would no doubt offer more than I paid because of a “rare factory mistake” that made it into the wild, I really like the gun and would just turn around and buy the same model again. Then again, maybe I could get a nice SMITH & WESSON .358 MAGNUM next time.

lindo and noelekal like this.
  4. ras47 Jun 30, 2020

There's a story about a western sheriff attending a town meeting wearing his .45 on his hip. A reporter looked at it and asked, "Why do you carry a .45?" The Sheriff answered, "Because they don't make a .46."

Reporter: "Are you expecting trouble? Is that why you're wearing your sidearm?"
    Sheriff: "Nah. If I was expecting trouble I'd be carrying my rifle."
    :)

MikiJ and ChiefMark like this.
  5. Burnt Jun 30, 2020

Old one but a good one:
    A sheriff walks into a diner with a cocked and locked 1911 on his hip. The waitress walks up to take his order and notices the pistol is cocked. She then nervously asks “Sheriff, isn’t that dangerous?”, to which the sheriff replies “The damn thing’s supposed to be dangerous”.

Mtek, MikiJ, ChiefMark and 1 other person like this.
  6. ChiefMark Jul 2, 2020

I have no interest at all in firearms. They’re dangerous and should only be in the hands of the military and the armed bodyguards of important people. Once I was crazy and owned firearms, but they were all lost in a boating accident. Here’s a very old picture of a long-lost pistol, probably under feet of accumulated mud by now.

8F13341B-C0B6-46F2-9420-E3A3FD6E9666.jpeg

RonH, voere, valkyrie_rider and 5 others like this.
  7. Burnt Jul 2, 2020

I disagree with your position but I respect your right to make your own choice. Hope the sentiment is mutual as the military isn’t typically involved in law enforcement, the police can only respond to crime instead of preventing it, and I’m the bodyguard for everyone around me in private and public, which my family appreciates and my fellow citizens are unaware of.

ChiefMark and Wryfox like this.
  8. Dor_42 Jul 2, 2020

Just out of curiosity, where are you from and what's the logistics involved with loosing a gun?
    Where I'm from you can go to jail for that :whipped:

ChiefMark likes this.
  9. SkunkPrince Jul 2, 2020

I think he was fibbing.

larryganz, Mtek, The Father and 2 others like this.
  10. ChiefMark Jul 2, 2020

I apologize, should have added a sarcasm tag... I speak fluent sarcasm, but not everybody else does.

11. Lostpuppy116 Jul 2, 2020

Note to self... do NOT play poker or any game that involves bluffing/fibbing with ChiefMark... I did not catch the sarcasm at all...

Dor_42 and ChiefMark like this.
  12. ChiefMark Jul 2, 2020

@Burnt : You and I are on the same page in all respects. The police show up to clean up the mess after the fact, or they show up at zero-dark-thirty to kick in the door and you have to pray they managed to find the correct door. You're responsible for your own safety and freedom, and that of your loved ones, and more broadly that of the nation as bulwark against tyranny.

But it's still sad that I lost all my guns in a boating accident.

larryganz likes this.
  13. Burnt Jul 2, 2020

I missed the sarcasm as well but it was early in my day so I’ll cling to that excuse, haha! Sorry about the sunken treasures, but why not replace them?

ChiefMark likes this.
  14. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 2, 2020

That is a strange phenomenon. I believe I lost most of my guns in tragic boating accident also.
    [​IMG]

RonH, valkyrie_rider, Mtek and 2 others like this.
  15. ChiefMark Jul 2, 2020

Amazing how that happens...

16. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jul 12, 2020

Handguns when they show honest use. From time to time I think about having this hi power refinished. I just can't bring myself to refinish this one. Time and use does some nice things to firearms. This hi power would look great with a charcoal blued finish from turnbull. However I will leave this one as is and enjoy the finish wear. I had the hi power out on my range today and enjoyed shooting the firearm

20200712_142830.jpg
  17. RonJ Jul 12, 2020

If I were, "hypothetically", to own a handgun with a number of years of use on it, it might just be a .38 Smith and Wesson revolver.
    And, I'd probably replace the wooden grips with rubber grips on it.

IMG_7242.jpg

noelekal, lindo, The Father and 3 others like this.
  18. Burnt Jul 12, 2020

Whatever you do, don’t send that Hi-Power back to Bienne! And just my opinion, but put some wood on that Smith!

19. RonJ Jul 12, 2020

I still have the original wood grips for it.
    And the small wood grips does make it easier to conceal.
    But the wooden grips are so small, it is a lot easier to shoot with the rubber grips on it.

20. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 13, 2020

One of the best of the 20th century 9mm handguns and a special favorite. The one here is an immediate post-war Austrian Forestry Service contract pistol. May have been unissued when I obtained it, but it's sure been shot since. Still looks the same because it's all been range use except for one time when Mrs. BMc used it to qualify for the Texas concealed carry permit process.

[​IMG]

As an alternative to rubber grips I like the Tyler T-Grip grip adapter. I have fairly large hands with long fingers, but it offers a benefit without the tackiness of rubber or the odor.

Tyler T-Grip on a mid-1980s Smith & Wesson Model 649.

[​IMG]

voere and Mtek like this.