Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 23, 2020

Ding, ding, ding!

Father gets the prize.

I didn't get SuS when viewing it.

Is it a part Sauer manufactured post war for spares?

Is interesting Wryfox.

Now yer gonna tell me that it's a Sauer marked receiver too.

2. Wryfox Jun 23, 2020

So yes its a 'german' Garand, loaned to post war Germany in the 1950s. They requested building them, but no...they were only allowed to make spare parts and stocks. Pretty rare stuff.

Sauer und Sohn made bolt and German beech stock (though I agree forend is likely walnut)

The Garand itself is a prewar Springfield with replacement 1942 barrel. Rare itself that the replacement barrel is wartime.

Great condition overall, and shoots great.

Edited Jun 23, 2020
    Mtek and noelekal like this.
  3. Professor Jun 23, 2020

Whats that sticking up behind the bolt?
    Its been many years since I owned a Garand but I don't remember seeing that before.

4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 23, 2020

The tab end of the M1 web sling?

Professor likes this.
  5. Professor Jun 23, 2020

Actually I found what I thought I was seeing was an optical illusion.
    By looking at the highest magnification of the images I found that what had first looked like a sheet metal object jammed behind the bolt was actually a combination of flat surfaces on the bolt and receiver catching the light just right.

noelekal likes this.
  6. ras47 Jun 25, 2020

I'm a Glock guy now myself. Although I grew up shooting the venerable M1911, when it came time to get my own pistol I researched a lot of brands and chose Glock. Low bore axis, Safe Action Trigger, legendary reliability, and a choice of every caliber under the sun. When I chose my Glock 23 for home defense and sport shooting one requirement was that in an emergency, my wife could use it to defend herself. She's not intimidated at all by the recoil of a .45 but for a casual shooter I wanted higher capacity than the 1911 offers. I get her to the range monthly but more than that and she balks.

Higher capacity means a much thicker grip and frame which won't work for her. Accuracy suffers, and if you don't hit your target it doesn't matter how big a piece of lead you throw at it. 9mm is a great round, but with less stopping power your aim is even more critical. I don't trust that in a high-pressure situation my wife is practiced enough to maintain her aim. So even though I abhor compromise, the Glock .40 was the answer. Stopping power approaching that of the .45 ACP and magazine capacity approaching that of some 9mm pistols. Mine is a Gen 3 but I'm looking to step up to the newer Gen5 with the staged recoil spring.

I bought a Lone Wolf conversion barrel and some G19 mags, and my .40 S&W becomes a 9mm when I want. I got so into the whole Glock thing that I took the Armorer's Course at my local range.

Certified_Armorer.jpg

noelekal, The Father and lindo like this.
  7. Mtek Jun 26, 2020

I picked up a 1951 Colt 38 Super, going have it cleaned up and back to original sights. The roll marks are in fantastic shape, nice and deap. Im going to charcoal blue it like my GI 45acp below. It’s going to be a good one boys.

B809A88C-18B3-44D5-97B4-8B0088C30117.jpeg 64360AB4-7561-42A5-B56B-3CB94202475D.jpeg

noelekal, Wetworks, voere and 2 others like this.
  8. SkunkPrince Jun 26, 2020

That Colt needs full-checkered grips. :D

https://www.woodcaliber.com/store/p120/#2881_Black_Walnut.html

Edited Jun 26, 2020
    Mtek likes this.
  9. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 28, 2020

Ankle holsters
    I have a few ankle holsters. I do not wear them very much only when I want deep cover or as BUG carry. Today I had to attend a event that required deep concealment. Ankle carry is not my favorite method of carry. Today if worked fine. Anyone else like ankle holsters??

20200628_172622.jpg
  10. Professor Jun 28, 2020

While I like the idea and have carried in my boot top in the old days, at my age I'd look kind of silly trying to aim a pistol while stuck in that bent over position. I can touch my toes easily, its straightening up afterwards that poses a problem.

Seated with carry leg crossed over the other above the knee perhaps.

11. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 29, 2020

I hear you age takes away a lot of our athletic abilities. I’m old however I am still spry enough to drop down to one knee and get up without issues. Many years ago I took a training course held by Massad Ayoob. His method of drawing from a ankle holster is to step out drop to one knee and engage. It takes practice My place of business involves a lot of physical work. Such as bending, lifting one gets into shape doing physical work.

Since this covid 19 I do more physical work than before. My place of business is short handed so I needed to step up and help out doing physical work vise management type stuff office work. I still have to do the managerial stuff now including physical stuff. As it turned out that was good thing for me. I am getting into pretty good physical shape. Ankle carry is good for sitting in the car or truck or as a last resort BUG.

The glock 33 in the ankle holster is a tad heavy for ankle carry. Wearing a good hiking boot helps a lot along with a heavy pair of socks. My favorite method of carry is IWB, However todays event that would not work for deep concealment

Mtek, Waltesefalcon and noelekal like this.
  12. Professor Jun 29, 2020

Unfortunately exercise can't cure stenosis, narrowed spinal cord channels of the spine, or exposed sections of spinal cord. I forget what the doctors called that last one. The openings where the spinal cord runs through the vertebrae were broken away. Scar tissue keeps everything from shifting to much.
    As long as I'm careful how I stand and walk I can still do most things. Even clearing brush and cutting down trees and cutting them up into manageable pieces. No more action movie type moves though.
    I used to burn up as much as two hundred rounds per day on my lunch break honing my point shooting from the draw, so aiming is not an issue within any reasonable close quarters range.

noelekal likes this.
  13. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 29, 2020

Ouch
    Good to hear you are still able to do most things

noelekal likes this.
  14. 10mmauto Jun 29, 2020

I wear an ankle holster every day. Sometimes it is my primary weapon, other times, my backup. I used to use Alessi ankle holsters but have switched to smaller guns (S&W BG, G42) for my ankle, so now I use the thin, elastic and velcro models. I have no issue drawing from any of them.

Mtek likes this.
  15. Professor Jun 29, 2020

I remember a special ordered run of FN P35 pistols were once made for a government body guard outfit, don't remember which country. The pistols were otherwise standard except for a severely shortened magazine and grip.
    I suspect these were intended for use in a ankle or perhaps even a wrist mounted holster.

Mtek likes this.
  16. Burnt Jun 29, 2020

Love my S&W for carry, and just picked up the Colt for everything else.

FF1C8DB0-9561-4181-88C2-C088558408A2.jpeg B0912750-423C-4D44-B4FD-D7C58865FE9A.jpeg
    noelekal and Mtek like this.
  17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 30, 2020

MITH & WESSON?

:confused:

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 3.09.26 PM.png

18. Burnt Jun 30, 2020

Yep, good ‘ole quality control there. If I had bought it for any other reason than to actually use it I would’ve sent it back. Instead, I just shook my head and off to the range we went.

C6EEB429-DDC1-42E2-9B46-9DFA12C44C1F.jpeg
    JimInOz, noelekal and Waltesefalcon like this.
  19. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jun 30, 2020

Is this similar to the 220 bezel on a Speedmaster :rolleyes:

ChiefMark likes this.
  20. Waltesefalcon Jun 30, 2020

I would have kept it just for the novelty of owning a M&W.